Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250355 times)

Re: Base training
« Reply #700 on: 26 November, 2017, 08:18:48 pm »
Fan now working - screwfix didn't have any in stock. Much better. Did Goddard 45 tonight as a test and got all the way through without problem.

TSS 50+ based on an FTP estimated by Garmin at 242 watts. Not sure how representative that I'd really, but it's a starter for 10 anyway. If I struggle to get through sessions then perhaps back it off and if too easy then we'll see.

Thanks for the tips. Next I'll see if I can work out how to post the post ride picture.

« Reply #701 on: 26 November, 2017, 09:13:15 pm »
Fan off for the warmup this morning - much better. I find under/overs easier to do, but make my ITB flare up a bit.
Only problem was that I got a puncture about 20 minutes from the end!  ::-) It made the tyre slip on the roller a little, but I finished the workout making sure I was smooth to minimise slip. No obvious cause for the hole, so I just stuck a new tube in and I'll see how it goes on Tuesday.

« Reply #702 on: 28 November, 2017, 01:23:54 pm »
I sucked so badly this morning! Couldn't sustain the first interval at 120% of FTP, and couldn't get anywhere near the power for the second interval. HR went pretty high though (169 - the max I've seen recently was 173 on my over-done FTP test, and I did all of Mills last week with a max of 165). I feel pretty rubbish too (stomach issues), so I'm going to take the week easy and repeat the TR week next week.
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/6956998-spencer
Hopefully it's a tired/ill thing. It would really suck if it turned out that my puncture and subsequent tube change had affected the way that Virtual Power works. The pressure is almost the same (75psi vs 76 psi a few weeks ago), and I used the quick release to ensure that the roller is in the same place. Makes me want to get a proper power meter to ensure repeatability (among other reasons!).

simonp

« Reply #703 on: 28 November, 2017, 01:59:24 pm »
Direct drive smart trainers rock.  Not the cheap option though. Power meter is more versatile as can be used outdoors.

Just finished Mills 45 which is a substitute. I did Sunday’s workout yesterday and feel tired but still was able to turn it up by 5% after the first block of 3.

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/6959491

Probably will be turning the FTP up soon.

« Reply #704 on: 28 November, 2017, 03:15:07 pm »
A Direct Drive smart trainer is >£700 new. Power meters start around 300, which is verging on affordable.
Sounds like your FTP can go up...

Edit - this looks like a great deal (£285 inc post)
https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-power-meters/4iiii-precision-2.0-3d-power-meter-105-5800-black/11273315.html?affil=awin&utm_source=AWin-78888&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=AffiliateWin&awc=3977_1511883369_4e701a16130b978c910bec4f0f26ad0c

Only question left is if I'm happy with left only.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #705 on: 28 November, 2017, 06:41:52 pm »
so my trainer had to be sent back to netherlands for inspection/repair and is now either stuck in one of parcelforce's depots or gone walkies (it's been two weeks since i've sent it). have been on the phone with pf yesterday and today and they are "still searching". hmm ::-)

simonp

« Reply #706 on: 28 November, 2017, 09:13:49 pm »
Which trainer do (did!) you have?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #707 on: 28 November, 2017, 10:15:36 pm »
Which trainer do (did!) you have?
flux; i hope i'll still get it back or otherwise a compensation.
the frustrating part is that i'm missing out on workouts and all the recent gains will be undone.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #708 on: 28 November, 2017, 10:32:06 pm »
I'm thinking of selling my Kickr and buying the newer version.... unsure of what they go for and its blooming heavy!
Regards,

Joergen

simonp

« Reply #709 on: 29 November, 2017, 12:41:25 am »
I'm thinking of selling my Kickr and buying the newer version.... unsure of what they go for and its blooming heavy!

I saw them going for decent prices (from sellers point of view) on eBay. People
quoting £70 p&p. Much easier if you still have the box.

I sold mine (2015 model) to a local chap for £250 - reckon he got a bargain. Saves postage hassle though.

« Reply #710 on: 29 November, 2017, 07:02:44 am »
If you look at completed listings on eBay, they seem to be in the 5-600 quid range for the 1st gen kickr.  What's the difference between that and the latest one?

simonp

« Reply #711 on: 29 November, 2017, 09:10:06 am »
If you look at completed listings on eBay, they seem to be in the 5-600 quid range for the 1st gen kickr.  What's the difference between that and the latest one?

Accuracy, noise, bike compatibility are the big improvements.

« Reply #712 on: 30 November, 2017, 12:19:01 am »
Mountfield tonight, after spinning for a bit while the laptop updated itself. following warm up with a bit of endurance and threshhold, 3 x 12 minute intervals at c.85% ftp including low and high cadence practice and a bit of aero on thr drops. Garmin reckoned 26 hours recovery.

« Reply #713 on: 30 November, 2017, 08:37:13 am »
Just Brasstown to do tonight to finish the low volume sweet spot base.  Then I am going to take it up to the medium volume sustained power build.  That should take me to the end of January and I may repeat it to take me through to Easter.

rob

« Reply #714 on: 30 November, 2017, 12:01:34 pm »
Spent the first couple of weeks of my re-start buggering about with the resistance on my turbo so I could work by speed/heart rate.   I've spent a load on new kit for the race bike this Winter so still not equipped with a power meter.   Early sessions were, therefore, a bit hit-and-miss.

I then managed to fall off on a greasy roundabout 10 days ago.   Nothing broken but some painful grazing down my right side.

I'm now working quite nicely and racking up 18-20hrs per week.   I'm not going to race until April earliest, so plenty of time to build.

« Reply #715 on: 30 November, 2017, 01:38:29 pm »
Rob, 18-20 hours a week!!!!!  I really must realign my priorities!  I am struggling at the moment to do 7 hours a week

« Reply #716 on: 30 November, 2017, 02:38:19 pm »
Rob, 18-20 hours a week!!!!!  I really must realign my priorities!  I am struggling at the moment to do 7 hours a week

Or even 3 or 4....

simonp

« Reply #717 on: 30 November, 2017, 02:47:58 pm »
18-20 hours is a lot of volume. Our rowing club is asking for under 10h for the senior squad.

I’m still injured so the trainer time is vital for keeping myself fit in the meantime. I’m on the mid volume base plan which is still having some intensity.

« Reply #718 on: 30 November, 2017, 02:50:46 pm »
I am so glad that the rest of us are not managing Rob's level of training.  I felt very inadequate!  part of me would like to see what I could do with that level of training but life does not allow it.

rob

« Reply #719 on: 30 November, 2017, 02:55:37 pm »
10hrs commuting
1hr lunchtime ride on a Wednesday
3 sessions on the turbo (Tue & Thu eve + Sun am) each week so roughly 3hrs total
4-5hr road ride on a Saturday

I'd only class the turbo sessions as intense, though, and even then not that high.   I'm coached and don't ask a lot of questions but the focus this Winter seems to be on more volume and less intensity, which I'm fine with.   This time last year was hard and I struggled to finish some sessions.

rob

« Reply #720 on: 30 November, 2017, 03:00:21 pm »
I am so glad that the rest of us are not managing Rob's level of training.  I felt very inadequate!  part of me would like to see what I could do with that level of training but life does not allow it.

Every year I finish still a) married and b) employed is a bonus.

I think this might be my last year of racing for a while.   I find the process of training not that interesting and find myself going through the motions.   Those of you more analytical than myself are probably better with the data crunching.   Then, every now and again, you cross a finish line and are amazed at the speed you can travel at.

« Reply #721 on: 30 November, 2017, 03:16:18 pm »
I'm struggling to do 3.5 hours of (intense) turbo time.
20 hours would kill me!

« Reply #722 on: 30 November, 2017, 04:02:02 pm »
Rob, so not that different on turbo time.  The 10 hours of commuting makes the big difference.  I move around during the day which makes commuting difficult.

rob

« Reply #723 on: 30 November, 2017, 04:21:13 pm »
Rob, so not that different on turbo time.  The 10 hours of commuting makes the big difference.  I move around during the day which makes commuting difficult.

Indeed.   There's a chance we'll move office in the Spring and I need to check about facilities.   It has formed the basis of my training for a few years but I now ride it at higher intensity than I used to.    There's a lot of sprinting between traffic lights.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #724 on: 30 November, 2017, 04:35:15 pm »
so my trainer had to be sent back to netherlands for inspection/repair and is now either stuck in one of parcelforce's depots or gone walkies (it's been two weeks since i've sent it). have been on the phone with pf yesterday and today and they are "still searching". hmm ::-)
as the depot cannot locate the box, they've directed me to claims dept. not too hopeful at the moment and it might take up to a month.