Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 352084 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1450 on: 25 October, 2020, 05:26:58 pm »
Ages ago I plotted a 120k route to extend my max square to the southwest.  This involved a lot of riding round Coleshill, Birmingham airport and northern Coventry

You have my sympathy.

Thanks - but it was OK!  I find that an occasional dose of urban sprawl is good for me and helps me appreciate the countryside ;)   None of it was as bad as north Nottingham's relentless 60's housing estates with carp road surfaces  :sick:

The only bits I didn't enjoy were some unavoidable stretches of fast A roads like the A452.  Even those weren't that bad as it was a Sunday and they were fairly quiet.  Most of the cars seemed fairly well behaved too  :)

Yeah, other than a couple of fast A-roads, it's nowhere near as bad as the urban areas between Birmingham and Wolverhampton, which I made good use of the quiet roads during the lockdown to cover.  Rat-runs and Big Scary Roundabouts are bad enough without being combined with bastard hills.

« Reply #1451 on: 25 October, 2020, 08:50:39 pm »
I was out square bagging in the west Midlands today.  A 216km ride out to get some squares out around Cannock and Penkridge.  45 new squares upped my max square to 50x50 and cluster up to 3477. 

Some of it was quite urban main roads and there were a couple of the M6 junction roundabouts to contend with, but TBH, it wasn't that bad on a Sunday, and my route did have quite a lot of pleasant lanes and a bit of Canal towpath to make up for it.  I also had a play on the MTB trails in Cannock Chase on the way home too. 
Eddington: 114 Miles

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #1452 on: 27 October, 2020, 11:13:48 am »
50x50 Many Congratulations 

simonp

« Reply #1453 on: 01 November, 2020, 05:46:28 pm »

That square at Weston is getting annoying, so I'm still on 18x18. According to the map it's in the tidal part. The question is does the SE corner contain quicksand?  ???

Today's ride filled in squares around Butcombe, Red Hill, Wrington, Weston Super Mare, Haywood Village, and Locking. I'll be quite happy to not return to many of those places any time soon.

As well as filling in the gaps to the north it's connected the cluster of squares around Bristol to the main cluster so a fairly big jump in max cluster, now 509.

« Reply #1454 on: 01 November, 2020, 05:58:22 pm »
That square at Weston is getting annoying, so I'm still on 18x18. According to the map it's in the tidal part. The question is does the SE corner contain quicksand?  ???

The Strava heatmap for that area is promising:

simonp

« Reply #1455 on: 01 November, 2020, 06:23:36 pm »

The Strava heatmap for that area is promising:

That's interesting. Particularly the repeated triangle. Dinghy racing?

« Reply #1456 on: 01 November, 2020, 06:40:23 pm »
That's interesting. Particularly the repeated triangle. Dinghy racing?

http://westonblokartclub.co.uk/site/
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #1457 on: 01 November, 2020, 06:58:09 pm »
Ooh. Tempting.

« Reply #1458 on: 01 November, 2020, 07:02:02 pm »
Not sure it would count as "human powered" for tile bagging though. There's no human power input, it's just wind powered. That's not quite in the spirit of tile bagging.

« Reply #1459 on: 01 November, 2020, 07:06:31 pm »
If they can sail there surely you can walk there.

« Reply #1460 on: 01 November, 2020, 08:54:19 pm »
As I said earlier- Simon does rowing. The Bristol Channel should be no obstacle.

Chris S

« Reply #1461 on: 01 November, 2020, 08:57:43 pm »
As I said earlier- Simon does rowing. The Bristol Channel should be no obstacle.

Especially on Severn Bore days...  :demon:

Video or it didn't happen, Simon :D

------
Warning: Actual geography may make this gag less feasible than proposed.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1462 on: 01 November, 2020, 09:35:21 pm »
Not sure it would count as "human powered" for tile bagging though. There's no human power input, it's just wind powered. That's not quite in the spirit of tile bagging.

What about these tiles?

All done in a rowing boat, so human powered, but I did some or the rowing, and swarm_catcher did some, so there may be some tiles where I did not exert any muscular effort.

?

It was here, if you were wondering
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #1463 on: 01 November, 2020, 10:09:09 pm »
Not much different from being on a tandem and not pushing on the pedals.

It's up to you whether you'd want to claim those particular tiles.

If it was me and those tiles were critical to my cluster/square then I'd probably plan on revisiting them with a solo effort just to make sure. They do seem a bit far away though, so they'd be right down on my list of priorities.

In reality you probably did some rowing in each of the tiles, and that's all that matters. How you get to a specific spot doesn't matter (I know I've got to the beginning of plenty of rides/runs using trains/cars/etc). It's not much different from people who record a short walk in an airport terminal in order to bag a specific otherwise tricky to get tile. I chose to ride various grim roads around the perimeter of Heathrow airport to back those tiles rather than just recording a short walk in the terminal building the next time I was there, but sometimes there isn't an easy alternative.

Does dipping just a few meters into a tile, often by foot, valid? Yes, so it's not much different from claiming it via a bit of rowing.

Bagging tiles with no human effort at all (like land sailing or riding a ferry) would be strictly out for me personally.

simonp

« Reply #1464 on: 02 November, 2020, 12:14:03 am »
It's worth noting that people have got stuck in the mud at Weston under the pier which is much closer to dry land than the heat map shows.

« Reply #1465 on: 03 November, 2020, 07:59:09 am »
Ages ago I plotted a 120k route to extend my max square to the southwest.  This involved a lot of riding round Coleshill, Birmingham airport and northern Coventry

You have my sympathy.

Thanks - but it was OK!  I find that an occasional dose of urban sprawl is good for me and helps me appreciate the countryside ;)   None of it was as bad as north Nottingham's relentless 60's housing estates with carp road surfaces  :sick:

The only bits I didn't enjoy were some unavoidable stretches of fast A roads like the A452.  Even those weren't that bad as it was a Sunday and they were fairly quiet.  Most of the cars seemed fairly well behaved too  :)

... and I have just received an email from Wandrer.earth to tell me that:

You're the monthly leader for new miles in Solihull, West Midlands, Birmingham, and West Midlands Combined Authority during October!

It makes it all worthwhile  ::-)

« Reply #1466 on: 03 November, 2020, 10:27:15 am »
... and I have just received an email from Wandrer.earth to tell me that:

You're the monthly leader for new miles in Solihull, West Midlands, Birmingham, and West Midlands Combined Authority during October!

It makes it all worthwhile  ::-)

Ha, mine said "You're the monthly leader for Central Bedfordshire!". I don't think I actually wanted confirmation that I am the only person who finds cycling around Luton a legitimate pastime.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1467 on: 03 November, 2020, 11:24:50 am »
I don't think I actually wanted confirmation that I am the only person who finds cycling around Luton a legitimate pastime.

;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1468 on: 03 November, 2020, 07:50:46 pm »
My monthly leader status was more German orienated:
You're the monthly leader for new miles in Mönchengladbach, Kreis Heinsberg, and Teltow-Fläming during October!
Due to current restrictions I'll probably have to aim for my home province for november.

« Reply #1469 on: 06 November, 2020, 05:13:55 pm »
I'm new to this, so currently trying to get all my local tiles. I headed out to the Isle of Grain today and I have now got all the tiles apart from 2!
The NE tip of the Isle is an Army Demolition Range, so may involve a night time walk along the shore. The missing ones on the South are on private land, so will be very tricky. 

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1470 on: 06 November, 2020, 05:39:00 pm »
I'm new to this, so currently trying to get all my local tiles. I headed out to the Isle of Grain today and I have now got all the tiles apart from 2!
The NE tip of the Isle is an Army Demolition Range, so may involve a night time walk along the shore. The missing ones on the South are on private land, so will be very tricky. 

I might need to ask your advice on routes... are the bits round the north side walks or rides?

By the way, if you look back through the thread you'll see some discussion about how to get the tile in the far northwest corner of Sheppey - I think the only way is actually from Grain, with a walk out along the causeway to the Battery Tower at low tide.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1471 on: 06 November, 2020, 08:19:10 pm »
A 140 km trip into the Dales, and my square is up to 44x44. A glorious two-three hours when the fog lifted, but it was downright gloomy the rest of the day.

I think that's it for square progress until spring. Well, unless I can convince the family that our Christmas walk should be the Great Shunner Fell circular ;D

« Reply #1472 on: 06 November, 2020, 11:17:10 pm »
I didn't have to go so far, not did I get so large, but having braved death on the A19 slip road I can say glory won the day.
25 x 25

Chris S

« Reply #1473 on: 06 November, 2020, 11:34:20 pm »
 :facepalm:

simonp

« Reply #1474 on: 07 November, 2020, 06:58:50 pm »
So I went to Red Hill and round the back of Bristol Airport today. Over the other side to Backwell, Nailsea, and back over Goblin Combe and home. Red Hill is on a hill, who knew?

Problem here is now I have 5 overlapping 18x18 squares, and I either have to do a longer ride to the SE corner, or get in the sea, to get this to 19x19.