Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333233 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #250 on: 26 November, 2013, 02:55:25 pm »
Last night's Masterchef was hilarious. It was the "Invention Test" round, when they give the chefs a selection of ingredients and an hour to come up with a knockout dish. Among the ingredients last night were pork sausages, which inspired one of the contestants to do a dish of "Sausages Three Ways". Monica was not impressed. The last contestant to present his dish had made a superb-looking pannacotta that went down rather better with the judges.

I wonder if you can guess from this picture which chef did the Sausages Three Ways and which did the pannacotta...

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #251 on: 12 December, 2013, 06:38:42 pm »
BBC2 on Sunday night - The Happy Lands. It's a community-made film about a Fife mining community's experience of the General Strike.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

« Reply #252 on: 19 December, 2013, 12:39:54 pm »
Caught up with Monday's Never Mind The Buzzcocks Xmas special last night, hosted by Johnny Vegas. Not normally a huge fan of the show and tbh I was only watching it because my son put it on. But I'm glad I saw it because it made me laugh until I hurt all over. Much of the humour stemmed from the fact that Johnny Vegas was clearly pissed - kind of tragic, really, bit of a car crash, but very, very funny. Worth catching up with on iPlayer.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #253 on: 19 December, 2013, 12:43:10 pm »
Caught up with Monday's Never Mind The Buzzcocks Xmas special last night, hosted by Johnny Vegas. Not normally a huge fan of the show and tbh I was only watching it because my son put it on. But I'm glad I saw it because it made me laugh until I hurt all over. Much of the humour stemmed from the fact that Johnny Vegas was clearly pissed - kind of tragic, really, bit of a car crash, but very, very funny. Worth catching up with on iPlayer.

Yes, I saw it too. Priceless!

« Reply #254 on: 20 December, 2013, 09:00:01 am »
At the other end of the scale, if you can handle it, watch John Pilger's Utopia on ITV's catch-up service. Hugely enlightening, but very depressing.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #255 on: 20 December, 2013, 05:39:56 pm »
Watched this almost by accident:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03lz29w/The_Revolution_Will_Be_Televised_Series_2_Episode_6/

It seems I've missed rather a lot of these! I think I'd always assumed it was about the Gil Scott-Heron song  :facepalm:

Topical satire - but very influenced by Dom Joly in style. My favourite bit was the Israeli Embassy Expansion Team, who go around reclaiming local businesses.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #256 on: 20 December, 2013, 06:52:30 pm »
Just watching last night's Educating Yorkshire, and crying a bit at Musharraf.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #257 on: 16 January, 2014, 08:19:59 pm »
BBC1, Thursday Jan 16, 8pm -
New series. Documentary revealing the survival techniques used by the animal kingdom's smallest creatures. North America's Sonoran Desert is home to the grasshopper mouse, which is capable of disarming scorpions and centipedes twice its size, and displays a power and athleticism that enables it to avoid the attentions of rattlesnakes and tarantulas. In Africa, the elephant shrew, known as the sengi, employs speed to keep its distance from predators, following a meticulously constructed - and maintained - network of tiny racetracks in the savannah. The film concludes with Hidden Kingdoms Revealed, a 10-minute report on how the documentary was made. Narrated by Stephen Fry

Interesting documentary so far. Shame about the over use of "Epic Hollywood Style Sountracks" to add "drama" :-/

ETA - blue screen special effects in a nature documentary?!?!? 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #258 on: 16 January, 2014, 08:56:40 pm »
Hostages - new US drama, possibly jumping on the Homeland bandwagon of Israeli source material. Ive forgotten what night it's on  :facepalm:

A promising/worrying combo on paper - stars Toni Collete, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer  :-\

On viewing Ep1, I think we were right to be worried. :( Has Colette been in anything else this bad?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #259 on: 16 January, 2014, 08:57:07 pm »
Charlie Brooker's Screen Wipe tonight is essential viewing. Essential for my sanity, that is.

"I'm Doug Stanhope, and that's why I drink".

red marley

« Reply #260 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:23:36 pm »
Because Philomena Cunk and Barry Shitpeas.

People say that Stewart Lee is funny, but he's never done anything as funny as that.                      And he never will.

« Reply #261 on: 27 January, 2014, 09:14:59 pm »
Britain's Great War (with Paxman). Just started on BBC1. Looking v good thus far.
Working my way up to inferior.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #262 on: 27 January, 2014, 10:40:29 pm »
The previews were pushing this, so I have recorded it. A meeting prevented me from seeing it live.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #263 on: 28 January, 2014, 08:15:58 am »
[edit: post about Girls moved to own thread cos I think it deserves it]

« Reply #264 on: 28 January, 2014, 04:08:10 pm »
Rococo - Waldemar Januszczak's exploration of Rococo art and architecture on BBC4 and iPlayer. The first episode was excellent, as good as his series on The Baroque.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #265 on: 31 January, 2014, 09:17:33 pm »
Just watching Channel5. People who had everything, then binned it all to live in the wild. Wish I had the bottle to do it.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #266 on: 01 February, 2014, 10:30:06 am »
Because Philomena Cunk and Barry Shitpeas.

People say that Stewart Lee is funny, but he's never done anything as funny as that.                      And he never will.

Stewart Lee never has. Screenwipe is the funniest thing on at the moment.

I've been watching 'Uncle'. It won't stand the test of time, but it has its moments. Anybody spot a balding Nathan Barley in the last episode?

citoyen

Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #267 on: 01 February, 2014, 10:47:37 am »
Saw the first two eps of Uncle, not the third yet. Very funny, but yes, ephemeral. I do love Nick Helm though. I first became aware of him when he was warm-up man at a comedy gig I went to a few years ago. He took about 30 seconds to have the whole audience in stitches. His turns on Eight Out Of Ten Cats Does Countdown are great too - love his flirting with Susie Dent.

« Reply #268 on: 01 February, 2014, 10:55:18 am »
I must admit I find his character a bitter clichéd. Bit like the fat guy in Shaun of the Dead.

I think its the other character s that make like the boy himself, or the cross-dressing proprietor of the gay club, and that wanker Bentley dealer at the party.

citoyen

« Reply #269 on: 01 February, 2014, 11:03:22 am »
Agreed, total cliche, but what makes it really funny for me is that he reminds me an awful lot of a good friend. It's uncanny.

Cross-dressing nightclub dad is brilliant.

« Reply #270 on: 01 February, 2014, 11:10:28 am »
I think we've all had friends like that  ;D

The third episode has been the best yet. There are two points where you'll cringe ;)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #271 on: 01 February, 2014, 12:33:48 pm »
Last night on BBC4 was "Sound City", which should almost have been subtitled "Sound City, and why the Neve mixing desk was so great"

Lots of interesting (and some great) musicians talking about how they came to record albums there and why it was so good, and Dave Grohl talking about why the Neve desk was so good.

Possibly it could have done with being split into two programs, one about Sound City and one about moving the desk to tthe 606 and the section that was afterwards (and I'm sure there was more stuff that could have been said/shown about the process of moving such an enormous piece of complicated analogue equipment)
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Ruth

« Reply #272 on: 04 February, 2014, 08:01:40 pm »
Horizon = Solar Storms, on now.

Should fill up a nice chunk of the evening.

« Reply #273 on: 05 February, 2014, 09:07:37 am »
Possibly it could have done with being split into two programs, one about Sound City and one about moving the desk to tthe 606 and the section that was afterwards (and I'm sure there was more stuff that could have been said/shown about the process of moving such an enormous piece of complicated analogue equipment)

A classic bit with the remaining members of Nirvana cutting a track with Paul McCartney. Paul suggests adding some harmonies as an overdub and that will make it better so they do. Dave comments that he wishes it was always this easy and Paul replies "it is".
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #274 on: 06 February, 2014, 01:08:54 am »
Last night on BBC4 was "Sound City", which should almost have been subtitled "Sound City, and why the Neve mixing desk was so great"

Thanks for that.  I know very little about music, but I once had the opportunity to meet a Neve with its guts hanging out (they're every bit as pretty on the inside), and am generally in awe of the "it's transformers all the way down" approach.