Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1620348 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10975 on: 26 April, 2019, 07:40:19 am »
I don't know how they get planning permission for such idiot developments, ATF.

There is a huge development going up near where I now live (11 000 homes, eventually, just outside a village of 2 500). Sounds like a similar disaster, right? Except that they are adding schools, moving the train station, planning roads so the existing village doesn't turn into a rat run. Shows what can be done with some thought.

I'm ignoring whether it is wise at all to develop on land that is 0.5m above sea level, when the sea is predicted to rise by more than that in this century.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10976 on: 26 April, 2019, 09:28:11 am »
Who puts Walnuts into fudge brownies.  >:(  I expect them in carrot cake, but not brownies. And I'm allergic to them. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #10977 on: 26 April, 2019, 09:38:29 am »
Might need a tin hat here.  I live in a small village, well, it was a small village.  But over the last 3 or 4 years it's become 40% bigger.  There are no jobs here, the farms all run on minimal labour and the new villagers all get into their cars and drive to the nearby towns for work.  I don't really object as the new population has helped the local businesses grow and become more sustainable, and that has to be good.  Except that the planners are muppets - why build loads of new houses in villages where there are no jobs?  WTF?? 

Because sometimes to build them in the logical place would alienate the voters. That's why Chichester decided to fulfil it's quota by dumping the new houses in Selsey. Not far away, true, but connected to the "mainland" by transport links already groaning under the strain. But the good Conservative burghers of Chi couldn't give a shit about that.

And, more pertinently, it may be that some places didn't get their local plan act together. Locally to me now, that means Aston Clinton is being almost doubled in size by numerous housing developments (each one being just below  the planning threshold for affordable housing to be included) because the parish council were too busy arguing with a local GP about who owned a bit of ground and missed the local plan deadline. Oh, and they (developers) avoid the necessity of building a new primary school by paying a "premium" per property to the AVDC that's supposedly spent on the existing school. Doesn't magic new classrooms on a restricted site 'tho.

ian

« Reply #10978 on: 26 April, 2019, 09:58:00 am »
I don't know how they get planning permission for such idiot developments, ATF.

There is a huge development going up near where I now live (11 000 homes, eventually, just outside a village of 2 500). Sounds like a similar disaster, right? Except that they are adding schools, moving the train station, planning roads so the existing village doesn't turn into a rat run. Shows what can be done with some thought.

I'm ignoring whether it is wise at all to develop on land that is 0.5m above sea level, when the sea is predicted to rise by more than that in this century.

Living in a London commuter town, there's a consistent theme to development (which is limited, fortunately, by being part of the green belt) which involves turning business premises into flats (or retirement homes). This, of course, pushes more people onto the train or into their cars. I saw it commented that there was capacity on the train, but we're at the very end of the line, so yes, there are seats. Three stations in there aren't. Sucks for them.

Endless arguments about parking – everyone it seems needs a car, but space won't magically appear to park them (and the planning usually fudges the issue by disingenuously assuming people will have fewer cars than they actually have). The high street is as moribund as most other similar high streets in the county. The shopkeepers, of course, blame the parking situation, because obviously people get in their cars and drive to the local high street (they don't, they drive to Croydon or Redhill or somewhere that has a giant fucking car park). There's parking anyway in the car parks for the two supermarkets, but it's literally an entire minute's walk, which is apparently an inconvenience too far for the modern shopper.

They're looking to redevelop a small shopping precinct, add new shops, flats, a cinema. There seems to be a concerted effort against this because – oh woe! – the parking. To be honest, it's a good idea, would be a much-needed revitalization. Why people who live opposite a train station and bus stop with regular services need cars, I don't know. Lots more people actually living in the town centre might actually be a good thing for local business, rather than hoping magic parking spaces appear and people drive in.

The local plan was reasonable and to a degree realistic, but didn't really offer a solution to the problem of the town centre being dogged by traffic and parking issues. I think we know the solution, just that most people don't want it and would rather blame something else rather than infringe their own convenience. Look at a successful high street – it's not a traffic-congested (with cars going elsewhere) with parking clogged up by people stopping at KFC or to buy a lottery ticket. (We actually put some serious thought into opening a local business, but the rent for premises and business rates were untenable, which given the state of the high street seems to be madness.)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #10979 on: 28 April, 2019, 10:24:32 am »
Is it so difficult to keep the marmite off the lip of the jar?

I’m getting disproportionately vexed by having to wrench the top off because the only other user in the house gets it on the lip, which then glues the lid to the jar.

I know I can clean it up easily enough, but there shouldn’t be any need. A little dexterity with the knife avoids the trailing of gloop, and prevents the problem altogether.

That feels better. Thank you for listening.

(Here? First world problems? Middle aged? Random food things? So many threads this could go into. Is there a crossover record?)

ETA: and in the time it took me to type this post, yet another appropriate, even possibly the most appropriate thread for this post came into being!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10980 on: 28 April, 2019, 03:03:50 pm »
We hardly eat Marmite so that's not an issue.

Someone is getting gloop on the threads of all the condiment and sauce bottles and jars and never like to squeeze the squeezy bottles, preferring to remove the lids...

« Reply #10981 on: 29 April, 2019, 02:02:06 pm »
i) If I send you an email, please reply via email. If I wanted a chat, I would have phoned you
ii) If you call in response to my mail, try reading it first
iii) reading=/= understanding
iv) that's 20 minutes I'll never get back
v) how did it take you so long to say NOTHING
vi) no, I'm not your mate

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #10982 on: 29 April, 2019, 06:24:23 pm »
i) If I send you an email, please reply via email. If I wanted a chat, I would have phoned you
ii) If you call in response to my mail, try reading it first
iii) reading=/= understanding
iv) that's 20 minutes I'll never get back
v) how did it take you so long to say NOTHING
vi) no, I'm not your mate

Commiserations. That is the spit of my dealings with a particularly incompetent colleague with whom I had to deal. After sending a technical email to her she would ring within seconds (i.e. she could not possibly have read it), and would say that she didn't understand. I never tried 'Well, once upon a time...', but perhaps I should have; too polite for my own sanity, me. Luckily I am recently redundant and so others will have to suffer her incompetence (redundancy silver lining no. 27).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10983 on: 29 April, 2019, 07:00:05 pm »
SO has a kettle that's stopped working.  Almost certainly the thermostat.  This costs pennies but the bastards have used tamper-proof screw heads so you can't fix it (a professional repair is uneconomic in any developed country).  So in the bin it goes.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10984 on: 29 April, 2019, 07:38:46 pm »
SO has a kettle that's stopped working.  Almost certainly the thermostat.  This costs pennies but the bastards have used tamper-proof screw heads so you can't fix it (a professional repair is uneconomic in any developed country).  So in the bin it goes.

AIUI kettles are designed to fail early at the thermostat/switch mechanism, as that's the safest way for them to fail.

Still irksome on general principle.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #10985 on: 29 April, 2019, 08:42:45 pm »
Please don't get me started on kettles.  Our last one, a stainless steel Kenwood, lasted a bit over 2 years, before the opening mechanism bust so you couldn't fill the damn thing.  What a waste of the earth's resources.  Absolutely pathetic.  I did have a bit of a rant at the electrical shop in the village where I get almost all of our appliances (I have previous on this - they hide behind the counter when I go in) but it's not their fault.  It's frustrating that you can't get hold of the Kenwood rep - warmly, by the throat.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10986 on: 29 April, 2019, 09:07:19 pm »
So, kettle on a gas hob then? (Despite the fact it takes up space on the hob and doesn't turn itself off etc)

And they're not very ergonomic - just looking at the pictures is making my tennis elbow hurt.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10987 on: 29 April, 2019, 09:11:47 pm »
So, kettle on a gas hob then? (Despite the fact it takes up space on the hob and doesn't turn itself off etc)

I hope it doesn't come to that, we're not complete savages leftpondians.

« Reply #10988 on: 29 April, 2019, 10:07:34 pm »
Wanders over to kitchen & make a cuppa with his 25+ year old Swan electric kettle.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #10989 on: 29 April, 2019, 10:15:09 pm »
I'm pretty sure our John Lewis badged kettle is a good 10+ years old.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10990 on: 29 April, 2019, 10:18:21 pm »
We are not leftpondians but we may be savages (not this sort of savage, although some of us have been know to paint). We've been using a kettle on the gas hob since 2 electric kettles failed in one year. This one hasn't failed us. It would be great if it whistled, but it doesn't.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10991 on: 29 April, 2019, 10:21:06 pm »
Our kettle before the current one looked really nice. However, the lid was designed to make filling so difficult that it was a relief when it broke.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10992 on: 30 April, 2019, 12:20:07 am »
The switch on our Sainsbury's kettle is failing; it's a mechanical issue and we can persuade the switch to stay down if we pull it out, push it in and then push it down.

This trick is getting more difficult.

We've had the kettle 3 years, since a cleaner induced a Magic Smoke incident with my 30 year old Russell Hobbs.

ian

« Reply #10993 on: 30 April, 2019, 10:03:52 am »
In sympathy with this thread, the light switch on our cooker extractor hood has now decided to fail to stay on. Grumble.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10994 on: 30 April, 2019, 11:25:26 am »
There are two bulbs in our extractor hood and the left one always fails first. It's in its dickery stage just now, sometimes on, sometimes off.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #10995 on: 30 April, 2019, 11:34:51 am »
It is, alas, the mechanical clicky switch that fails to engage. I may get the handichap to take a look to see if it's replaceable, though it's nature of these things to use some component that's both unobtainable and inaccessible. Or I may just bodge it on with the strategic deployment of blue-tack until my wife gets annoyed enough to buy a new one. It's a shame because it does a great job of sucking up the malefic emanations of my culinary experimentations.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10996 on: 30 April, 2019, 01:05:58 pm »
I know not whence emerged this myth that Leftpondians don't do anbaric kettles.  I've been in a Target in El Paso with a greater variety of 'em than you'd find in the average BRITONS horriblemarket and I've encountered them in hotel rooms in Canuckistan.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #10997 on: 30 April, 2019, 01:47:27 pm »
The current required for an electric kettle using 110 volts (or only 100v in Japan) is pretty high! Doubt whether they offer 3kw models!

Two previous kettles I had failed within their guarantee periods so I got full refunds (from John Lewis and Robert Dyas). Currently have a Daewoo, fine but the cut-out switch sometimes trips prematurely and has to be reset with the right pressure in the right place.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10998 on: 30 April, 2019, 02:46:35 pm »
Chums at uni used to have one that ejected the power lead if you left it to boil too long.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10999 on: 30 April, 2019, 03:07:17 pm »
Chums at uni used to have one that ejected the power lead if you left it to boil too long.

That's just a standard "boil dry" feature AFAIK. That's when the cable plugs directly into the kettle, as opposed to plugging in to a base that the kettle sits on.