Author Topic: A random racing thread for non Grand Tour stuff.  (Read 47724 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: A random racing thread for non Grand Tour stuff.
« Reply #50 on: 13 April, 2015, 06:06:15 pm »
There are penalties in Paris-Roubaix for jumping closed level crossings. The winning breakaway got DQed a couple of years ago for that.

It was 2006.  I think that might have been the first copy of CW I ever bought, just after I'd ditched the MTB mags.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #51 on: 13 April, 2015, 06:50:31 pm »
Time flys sometimes. I don't have much interest in what the pros get up to nowadays.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #52 on: 13 April, 2015, 06:54:43 pm »
The "they couldn't stop in time" is rubbish. There are lights, team radios, and so on.

And the three that stopped and then went past could clearly stop in time.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

David Martin

« Reply #53 on: 04 May, 2015, 07:42:57 pm »
Former Dundee Thistle pocket rocket Becky Nixon is leading the Bedford 3-day ladies stage race. Here's hoping she can hang on for the win.
http://www.velouk.net/2015/05/04/results-bedford-womens-3-day/

Edit: lost the lead in the TT but won stage 5.

David Martin

« Reply #54 on: 16 August, 2015, 07:14:49 pm »
Grand day out for the inaugural Tour of the Glens, a National B race in the badlands between Alyth and Glenshee. The roads are quiet, the going heavy and nary a flat part on the course. (I think there was a flat bit at half way for about a mile, and the scenic finish on the Backwater Dam wall. )

A reduced field due to a clash with the Scottish Track Champs, but 40 riders set off chasing 20 points paying positions. It went off quickly - one rider punctured at 6k and never got back on so had a solo 105km chase, and to his credit was only about 30 minutes down at the end. A group of 12 wet away on the first lap of the opening 8.5 mile circuit. That lead had stretched to many minutes as they went over Kilry Moor to the second circuit, along the Glen Isla road to the Spittal of Glenshee, then Blacklunans to the Bridge of Brewlands. On the first ascent of Drummer hill, Craig Wallace powered clear accompanied by Matt Barnett. Matt couldn't hold that pace and slipped back. By the finish at Backwater Dam the field was in pieces, Craig Wallace taking the win in 2:56 (71 miles) and the largest group coming in being 8 riders.

Generally a very good day - safe racing and good weather, and a post race spread that was almost entirely home baked. Mmmm...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #55 on: 16 August, 2015, 07:31:41 pm »
Ah, so that's what the chap was posting signage for in Glen Isla yesterday as I rode past.
I passed him around 10ish, heading from Kirrie towards Glenshee.
I was doing a Reverse Snow Roads.

David Martin

« Reply #56 on: 16 August, 2015, 07:33:06 pm »
Absolutely - that would have been Steve or Ali. It is a really good club effort where many folk pitch in and make it all happen.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #57 on: 22 August, 2015, 12:05:37 am »
Ryan Mullen signed by Garmin-Cannondale - Cycling Weekly

It's nice to see someone signed for a top-line team after watching them move up through the ranks.  I've never met him but Ryan's been around the domestic TT scene for a while; it's always interesting to see quite how stinkingly fast he goes in each year's national 10/25. 

« Reply #58 on: 30 August, 2015, 11:53:16 am »
Lizzie Armitstead's sealed overall victory in the womens' World Cup with a sprint win at the GP de Plouay-Bretagne. :thumbsup:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/gp-de-plouay-bretagne-2015/results/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

David Martin

« Reply #59 on: 13 September, 2015, 08:02:37 pm »
Did my first race today as Chief Commissaire. I will spend the evening reading the handbook and working out what can be penalised and what for.. (and the fines that can be levied)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #60 on: 14 September, 2015, 08:39:02 am »
Watching the ToB, yesterday, I lost a load of respect for Greipel.

His trick, on the sprint to the line, was quite obviously to block Viviani.  I was glad that the comissaires did the right thing, for once.  Greipel's response ("It wasn't deliberate") was predictable and disappointing.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

David Martin

« Reply #61 on: 14 September, 2015, 12:47:05 pm »
If viviani was able to headbut greipel like that then Greipel knew he was there. Though Viviani was accelerating at the time. Clearly the right decision.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #62 on: 14 September, 2015, 12:55:23 pm »
Meh. Closing the door on somebody in a sprint is standard practice. Is it time to mark individual lanes in the finish straight, because that seems to be what the commissaires want?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #63 on: 14 September, 2015, 12:56:33 pm »
Meh. Closing the door on somebody in a sprint is standard practice.

There is closing the door and then there is what Greipel did, which was very close to what would be termed "Boarding" in ice hockey terms...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #64 on: 14 September, 2015, 01:25:05 pm »
I have happy memories of amateur racing in Oz on road and track where that sort of thing wouldn't even raise an eyebrow. Going between a sprinter and the barrier is asking for trouble and elbowing somebody slower out of the way to the finish line is part of the deal.

When I first took up racing as a teenager, a couple of old veterans (variously ex-pro and national team) took me aside and taught me what could happen in sprints and how to cope with it. I still remember a move they taught me for the track "that would put your bloke over the fence and probably get you banned from racing for at least six months!" They reckoned that I still needed to know about how to do it so that I'd not put myself in a position to be 'launched'.

« Reply #65 on: 14 September, 2015, 01:57:11 pm »
Meh. Closing the door on somebody in a sprint is standard practice. Is it time to mark individual lanes in the finish straight, because that seems to be what the commissaires want?

It's got more and more like that on the track. The days of Anton Tkak and the like are sadly gone. Tandem sprinting was even more gladiatorial I recall, I've still got the scars :-)

« Reply #66 on: 26 September, 2015, 09:48:02 pm »
Great win by Lizzie Armitstead :thumbsup:

« Reply #67 on: 27 September, 2015, 09:36:11 am »
Yes. It took a very long toime for that race to come alive but it was worth it.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #68 on: 30 September, 2015, 03:12:06 pm »
So it looks like Kittel is replacing Cav at Ettix

Ohohohohohoho

« Reply #69 on: 03 October, 2015, 08:12:46 am »
So it looks like Kittel is replacing Cav at Ettix

Ohohohohohoho

Yep, getting out before Giant do to him what Sky did to Cav.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #70 on: 16 October, 2015, 12:51:03 pm »
Impressive performances in the team pursuit by the Brits at the Euro track champs.  Men's and women's gold, and the women managed to catch their opponents twice, both in the heat and in the final.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #71 on: 30 January, 2016, 05:24:23 pm »
Femke Van Den Driessche first rider to be caught with a hidden motor, in the U23 women's CX world champs.

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/uci-statement-174751/

Bound to happen sooner or later.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #72 on: 30 January, 2016, 05:58:46 pm »
And the Good News from the same race:

(click to show/hide)

I'm slightly shocked by that motor. Especially at that level of the sport. I know, "bound to happen", but motors just seem so ... well, Wacky Racers! Sad.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #73 on: 30 January, 2016, 11:10:42 pm »
They work well enough to make a difference. I'm a little surprised it has taken this long for somebody to get caught. The technology has been good enough for ages. All those who said "Nobody would ever try that; don't be absurd." can think again.

« Reply #74 on: 04 February, 2016, 12:13:45 pm »
The season is beginning to stir into life. A good 24 hours for Sky , taking 3 wins over 3 continents - Kennaugh (with Froome ahead of the field in Australia), Wouter Poels in Valencia, and Viviani just now in Dubai.