Author Topic: RIP Ian Holm  (Read 1013 times)

RIP Ian Holm
« on: 19 June, 2020, 12:59:25 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jun/19/ian-holm-dies-alien-chariots-of-fire-bilbo-baggins

A versatile actor, who I enjoyed watching , and listening too.  I've got the BBC Radio "Lord Of The Rings" on CD,  must listen to it again some time, it was excellent.   

Len Deighton hated his portrayal of Bernard Sampson in "Game, Set & Match" so much he blocked repeats & a DVD release.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: RIP Ian Holm
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2020, 02:00:15 pm »
He had a great voice, and could play virtually any kind of role.  I remember him mostly as Frodo in the radio adaptation of LOTR, Ash in Alien and Cornelius in The Fifth Element.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2020, 02:55:26 pm »
A bas with the hobbity nonse!  I shall always remember him as Napoleon in Time Bandits.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2020, 04:05:15 pm »
Not one of Wozzizface's prime efforts.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2020, 04:48:22 pm »
I told one of my (many) children that the actor who played Bilbo Baggins has died. “What, Martin Freeman?” he said. Oh dear, I forgot about The Hobbit films.

I might watch The Fifth Element later.

« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2020, 09:09:09 am »
Brilliant actor. Contrast Ash in Alien with the Fater in Filth Element.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 28 June, 2020, 12:10:30 am »
In tribute I'm listening to the BBC R4 version of LOTR again , first broadcast in 1981 when I was 16.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_%281981_radio_series%29

I remember picking this up half way through the series when Gandalf is rushing to get somewhere on Shadofax, with Merry or Pippin riding behind him.  After the series I read the books,  possibly in the wrong order...

It's a wonderful adaptation ,   Michael Horden is a superb Gandalf,  John le Mesurier is Bilbo,  and I'm confusing him with the Wise Old Bird from HHGTTG!  Merry & Pippin are far truer to the book than the bumpkins in Peter Jackson's version.  (I've only seen those once & didn't care for them, perhaps I should re-visit ?)

Currently up to Gandalf fighting the Balrog in Moria....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark