Author Topic: Chafed bottom on long rides (text may be NSFW, contains description)  (Read 29027 times)

annie

Re: Chafed bottom on long rides (text may be NSFW, contains description)
« Reply #50 on: 24 March, 2009, 11:32:31 am »
Just to reiterate what I said earlier about a fungal infection.  Get this checked out to be certain you are not treating with the wrong stuff.  Then you can start afresh and experiment all you like.

If my bottom issues aren't sorted out soon I won't ever be riding anything longer than a 200 and maybe not even a 100.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #51 on: 24 March, 2009, 12:13:34 pm »
I have a boil today.  This thread puts it all into perspective.
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #52 on: 24 March, 2009, 12:16:25 pm »
I have a boil today.  This thread puts it all into perspective.

No pictures please  :hand:.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #53 on: 24 March, 2009, 12:23:28 pm »
definitely not! :o
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #54 on: 24 March, 2009, 12:26:14 pm »
Just to reiterate what I said earlier about a fungal infection.  Get this checked out to be certain you are not treating with the wrong stuff.  Then you can start afresh and experiment all you like.

If my bottom issues aren't sorted out soon I won't ever be riding anything longer than a 200 and maybe not even a 100.

Would you like me to take a look at your bottom, dear?   ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #55 on: 24 March, 2009, 01:12:02 pm »
On the wipe front, does anyone use babywipes? They come in a self seal packet and are presumably full of meaty goodness the stuff for tender skin.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #56 on: 24 March, 2009, 01:19:42 pm »
My experience of 'resealable' packs is that the adhesive fails in the moisture of the wipe and they don't reseal properly.

« Reply #57 on: 24 March, 2009, 01:59:57 pm »
5. If you have been out on the beer the night before, your arse (and especially your ringpiece) is more likely to suffer.

What infernal bad news.

I do not, no, shave in that vicinity; it prickles like the very devil growing back in.

« Reply #58 on: 24 March, 2009, 02:07:22 pm »
Earlier in the thread someone mentioned saddle height but you were quite dismissive mentioning damaging your knees

I didn't intend to be dismissive. It's just, I'm a sysadmin - I fear configuration changes.

More seriously - if I try a different shorts-washing regime, say, the worst that is likely happen is I get my bum chewed up again. If I change my saddle height and it turns out worse, it might have more serious consequences. So... what I really meant was, if I do try saddle height, it'll be with a weather eye open.

inc

« Reply #59 on: 24 March, 2009, 04:09:09 pm »
I agree you are right to try one thing at a time ( you now have a good list) to see if you can identify what the cause  is. Dropping your saddle 3-4 mm is not irreversible though and you will know quite quickly if it has a positive effect and it just takes a minute to put back as it was if there is no improvement. I am quite sensitive to washing powders but I would get a rash anywhere that sweat and material come into contact so for me it would not just be localised at the chamois.

annie

« Reply #60 on: 24 March, 2009, 04:49:34 pm »

Would you like me to take a look at your bottom, dear?   ;)

Again, and so soon?

;)

« Reply #61 on: 24 March, 2009, 05:45:32 pm »

You're much worse off than I am, though - this is annoying but it only happens one time in two and it mostly causes me pain after the ride not during it. If I'd been leaking claret into my chamois (ahem, rather than my glove) at 160k on Up the Uts I'd quite possibly have packed.

I see at least one person expressing horror who's seen my bum before on the WNBR. Admittedly, not from the goatse angle. :-)

« Reply #62 on: 24 March, 2009, 07:23:50 pm »
Ask another rider to watch while you pedal.

I reckon this is good advice for any cyclist, because we can all develop bad habits unawares.

« Reply #63 on: 24 March, 2009, 07:33:17 pm »
Ask another rider to watch while you pedal.

I reckon this is good advice for any cyclist, because we can all develop bad habits unawares.

I had someone point something out to me on my commute; at the lights "I hope you don't mind me saying but your left knee is really pointing outwards when you pedal, is your bike setup all right because that could lead to an injury."

Luckily (or not at the time as it bloody hurt) but it was easily explained as a 5-a-side football injury from the night before (kicked bloody hard on the calf). Still, nice to know some people care; and you'd miss out on this important info if you RLJ. ;)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #64 on: 24 March, 2009, 07:35:45 pm »
I find it amazing just how asymmetrically some riders ride, when viewed from behind.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #65 on: 24 March, 2009, 07:57:17 pm »
I find it amazing just how asymmetrically some riders ride, when viewed from behind.

Are weback on that picture again?

H

Chris S

« Reply #66 on: 24 March, 2009, 07:59:23 pm »

H

Anyone going to own up to having it as their desktop Wallpaper?

simonp

« Reply #67 on: 24 March, 2009, 08:17:36 pm »

H

Anyone going to own up to having it as their desktop Wallpaper?

I've not even looked...

I suppose this is the real reason some people don't want to make conversation at the start - it's that fear that someone will use it as an opportunity to show you the photos of their baboon-red arse that they took after their last ride.

gordon taylor

« Reply #68 on: 24 March, 2009, 08:41:22 pm »
I haven't read this thread, much, but I like the word "chafed."

:thumbsup:

« Reply #69 on: 24 March, 2009, 11:46:31 pm »
TG: no, I don't wear underpants (when cycling). I might try, as part of a programme of permuting random things. JOOI, do _you_ do anything aimed at avoiding chafing?

I sometimes put a big dollop of Savlon on my nether regions. Like Charlotte says, be generous and put plenty on. It works it's way in. I've done it when I've been sore and it has cured it before.
I wear DHB shorts at the moment and they feel abrasive after about 2-300km, but I'll keep using them because it should toughen me up a bit. Once I get my leather scrotum I have no trouble. I think you do toughen up to it after a while.
I find Lusso shorts more comfortable. Different shorts do make a difference.
Cleaning is a good idea too.
I wouldn't reccommend trying underpants though.

« Reply #70 on: 25 March, 2009, 06:31:09 am »
Just a general thought - I used to have various chafing/rubbing issues, but they all went away when I lost a load of weight. Having less to rub on the saddle did the trick where nothing else had.

Decent quality shorts (always clean for every ride) and Assos cream are the only things I use now.

Neil

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #71 on: 25 March, 2009, 12:07:29 pm »
This thread rocks. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #72 on: 25 March, 2009, 12:08:24 pm »
Only if its saddle is too high.
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #73 on: 25 March, 2009, 12:20:23 pm »
I find Lusso shorts more comfortable. Different shorts do make a difference.

I bought two pairs of Lusso shorts to keep me going over the winter. They've been fine for 50-60 miles, but on recent 80+ mile rides they've become, as you say - abrasive. They have a bright red insert that's not as smooth to the touch as other makes I have. For the first time since I ditched my last pair of real-chamois shorts many years ago, I've bought some chamois cream. I will have to avoid those Lusso shorts on long rides though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #74 on: 25 March, 2009, 01:46:53 pm »
Only if its saddle is too high.

Or if the diet contains insufficient fibre...