Author Topic: anyone used reskin for saddle soreness  (Read 3143 times)

anyone used reskin for saddle soreness
« on: 20 December, 2011, 07:19:41 pm »
Hi,

just heard about resin  you tube at  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3oYUNOIodY

has anyone used this, does it work.

I am doing a big ride next year and whilst i do not generally suffer thinking I might take some with me

tony

Re: anyone used reskin for saddle soreness
« Reply #1 on: 21 December, 2011, 09:26:17 am »
I tried these a few years ago and they were OK but I haven't continued with them.
The problem for me was that they used to crease up and cause a bit of discomfort although it didn't lead to saddle sores.
I can't be sure if the current strips are exactly like the ones that I used.

« Reply #2 on: 21 December, 2011, 01:06:47 pm »
There was an article in Cycling Weekly about these a few years back - then made or marketed by Bioracer. The author reckoned the best result was a mixture of the Reskin patch and chamois cream; the "test" was conducted on a turbo for "about an hour" if I recall correctly, and raved about them.

I tried some on the basis of that article and found them pretty well useless in the world of "real cycling". Using them with cream was utterly hopeless, as you might well expect, since the patch quickly came detached from the skin and just moved away from the required area. I tried them again, in the proper way, i.e. applying them to totally dry skin but once again I found that over a period of several hours riding, I sweated enough to loosen the patch and it again just rucked up causing more discomfort than I'd have suffered "au natural". I also found it difficult to get the patch applied so that it went on without a crease in it from the off, but that may just have been because I didn't take enough care over the task.

So they didn't work at all for me and I have the feeling that if they were any good, the whole cycling world would be singing their praises by now, since saddle soreness is a pretty common complaint.

In the interests of objectivity however, I would have to add one thing. A couple of years ago, at the annual Cycle Show, there was a stand on which a rider was riding continuously throughout the exhibition for charity. This was the "hard-as-nails" guy (Jim Rees? I may have the name wrong)  who'd twice ridden the RAAM and who surely would know a thing or two about long distance riding. He swore by these Reskin patches and when I recounted my failure with them, confirmed that yes, you did have to be meticulous about applying them properly to clean dry, grease free skin but that once you'd got the hang of it, they were really beneficial for long hours in the saddle. For what it's worth, he said he didn't use a Brooks but did the RAAMS on one of those split saddle with a droop snout a la Mark what's 'is name, the round-the-world guy.

So on balance I'd say save your money unless you're really suffering and are ready to try anything and are prepared to persevere.

« Reply #3 on: 29 January, 2012, 09:25:29 pm »
Conotrane,

Designed for bed sores and nappy rash. Apply before and during ride to aviod soreness

Available from most chemists - You do have to ask. About £1.75 tube. All those who I have recommended it too have liked it, "Better than Assoss Cream" was one quote.  :)