Author Topic: LED room lighting (again)  (Read 70624 times)

Re: LED room lighting (again)
« Reply #25 on: 23 September, 2011, 09:49:03 pm »
I tried 4 of the 4W Aurora 3000K gu10s in one of the kitchen overhead fixtures, but the colour temp is a touch too white still for my taste and they are also too bright  :o

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #26 on: 23 September, 2011, 11:18:37 pm »
I have one 50W Halogen in the downstairs Loo that will be a good place to start trialling an LED replacement.
I'd like a fairly wide beam and a colour temperature that doesn't result in a blue-white glare of my B&M CYO front light but also isn't too yellow.

It's a BOG - get over yourself!  ::-) ;)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 24 September, 2011, 06:58:09 am »
i think the object of having a light in your downstairs khazi is *not* to get it over yourself.  Or the carpet, or your degree certificate, or any family pet that happens to follow you in.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #28 on: 24 September, 2011, 09:13:54 am »
I have one 50W Halogen in the downstairs Loo that will be a good place to start trialling an LED replacement.
I'd like a fairly wide beam and a colour temperature that doesn't result in a blue-white glare of my B&M CYO front light but also isn't too yellow.

To some it is a Bog

To others it is a place of quiet repose - a refuge from the trials and tribulations of real life, a place to read, or contemplate the wonders of the universe. The art of lighting in this small piece of heaven, is paramount.

;D

rogerzilla

« Reply #29 on: 24 September, 2011, 10:28:33 am »
Get some pot-pourri that smells like a joss stick, buy a colour-changing GU10 LED and achieve excretory nirvana.

border-rider

« Reply #30 on: 27 September, 2011, 01:43:49 pm »
The 3000 K 6W Auroras just arrived. They're the same length as the CFL GU10s, but a lot shorter than the 8.5 W Auroras. They have 3 emitters rather than 4  Massively brighter than the CFLs, but the hue (at least in daylight) looks a little bit ghastly.  Be OK for corridors but I'd not want to live with them in a living room.  So they're a better bet than the CFls but not the 8.5 W 4200 K LEDs. 

I might try some of the 4200 K 6W LEds, and maybe ebay all the unused CFLs

rogerzilla

« Reply #31 on: 27 September, 2011, 07:08:31 pm »
We now have 10 x 3 x 1W MR16 LEDs in the bathroom ceiling, saving 170W.  They are a bit brighter than the 20W halogen lamps they replaced although the CRI could be better.  The lamps seem warm white to look at but skin tones have a faint purple or green tinge, as with some CFLs.  They are acceptable though, unlike some CFLs I've had in the past.

border-rider

« Reply #32 on: 27 September, 2011, 07:15:51 pm »
I've just done an intercomparison of GU10s: 50W halogen, 11W 2700K CFL, 6W 3000K LED and 8.5W 4200K LED.

The CFLs are by a fair margin the warmest, and they're the least bright -  but not by that much compared to the 6W LEDs. 
The 6W LEDs have the yukkiest colour (too green). 
The 8.5W LEDs are the brightest and nearest to daylight (but they're a generation on from the 6W ones, and cost 2.5 times as much)
The 50W halogens are the most pleasing on the eye, but probably a bit too warm for our kitchen. We have yellowy-oak floors and oak kitchen units so they need a fairly daylight-equivalent light to not soak it all up.

Pics inna mo.

border-rider

« Reply #33 on: 27 September, 2011, 08:16:57 pm »

« Reply #34 on: 27 September, 2011, 08:57:29 pm »
We have two 4x50W* GU10 arrays in the kitchen - so I'm keeping an eye on this thread.  Our under-unit F light goes on to save the 400W output whenever poss (when I have anything to do with it...  ;) )

*The Philips Twistline are 2800K and have a luminous intensity of 700 cd.  Interesting to hear of the diiferent hues for very similar colour temperatures.  The spec sheet for the Philips states Color Rendering Index 100 Ra8 - perhaps this has something to do with hue?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

rogerzilla

« Reply #35 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:31:15 pm »
CRI is basically how continuous the spectrum is.  The worst CRI would be from a low-pressure sodium streetlamp, which just has a couple of discrete lines in the spectrum.  The best is from an incandescent lamp, which has a wide continuous band of different wavelengths.

Both LEDs and CFLs depend on phosphors to convert the raw light they produce (UV or blue) into "white", and this is where the art comes into the design.  If you get a low CRI, the overall colour temperature may be 2700K (like tungsten) but you can still see too much purple and green because there are peaks in funny parts of the spectrum.

« Reply #36 on: 28 September, 2011, 05:09:55 pm »
????

I got packs of 3 Philips "Energy Saver" 11w for 50p (that's 3 bulbs for 50p) from the pound shop!

rogerzilla

« Reply #37 on: 28 September, 2011, 05:56:46 pm »
They're CFLs.  They don't replace halogen spotlights (some claim to, but they are crap; I suffered them fior a year)

border-rider

« Reply #38 on: 28 September, 2011, 06:39:36 pm »
The 11W GU10 CFLs we've got are actually very good - just a bit slow to get to full brightness. In terms of hue I think they're much better than the 6W LEDs I tried, and they're only a bit less bright. They are several quid each though. 

rogerzilla

« Reply #39 on: 28 September, 2011, 08:04:30 pm »
I still have some Megaman 11W GU10s in the lightbulb box.  They are, without a doubt, the worst lights I have ever used.  3 mins to reach full brightness (and barely any light for the first 30 seconds) and then a horrid green wash of light, not spots at all.

border-rider

« Reply #40 on: 28 September, 2011, 08:24:51 pm »
Ours are "Energetic" branded, and seem to be Belgian.

They have a third the claimed life of the LEDs and use a fair bit more power.

border-rider

« Reply #41 on: 02 October, 2011, 04:38:13 pm »
Well, our halogen GU10s seem to be losing the will to live en masse

The programme of replacement with LEDs/CFLs is timely.

inc

« Reply #42 on: 02 October, 2011, 06:06:32 pm »
These give a nice light for cfl http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/Megaman-GX53-Downlights/FOZZ-CONXENTO-GX53-Adjustable-Spotlight-White-Megaman they are GX53  but the GU10 cfl replacements are not so good. The best led gu10 replacements I have found so far are Toshiba but at £25 a pop a non starter, I need  ove 50.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #43 on: 02 October, 2011, 06:23:53 pm »
These give a nice light for cfl http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/Megaman-GX53-Downlights/FOZZ-CONXENTO-GX53-Adjustable-Spotlight-White-Megaman they are GX53  but the GU10 cfl replacements are not so good. The best led gu10 replacements I have found so far are Toshiba but at £25 a pop a non starter, I need  over 50.

WTF? Do you live in a Christmas Tree?

rogerzilla

« Reply #44 on: 03 October, 2011, 09:36:44 pm »
I've seen modern "designer" houses where there are no pendants and every room has many spots recessed into the ceiling.  The hall and stairs at my sister-in-law's house probably has almost 1kW of lighting and it's not even that bright.

The recessed 50W GU10 fittings are the worst because there isn't, nor is there likely to be, an LED replacement that fits; you need a 7W or 8W LED and, because waste heat isn't radiated but stays in the chip, you need a big heatsink and hence a large lamp module. You cannae change the laws of physics, Captain.  MR16 lamps, typically 20W, can be replaced with 3W LEDs and the heat is manageable within the size of the module.

Lexus use LED headlamps on their top model.  They are problematic because nearly all the waste heat has to be got rid of at the back of the lamp (big heatsink) and barely any is thrown forwards as IR; so they need defrosters on the lenses for winter.  FAIL.  We cyclists get away with it because, again, the waste heat from a 3W LED is manageable in a small unit, and we don't ride much in snow.

border-rider

« Reply #45 on: 03 October, 2011, 09:43:55 pm »
I've seen modern "designer" houses where there are no pendants and every room has many spots recessed into the ceiling. 

We have 79 ceiling GU10 spots & 6 pendants. 

The recessed 50W GU10 fittings are the worst because there isn't, nor is there likely to be, an LED replacement that fits; you need a 7W or 8W LED and, because waste heat isn't radiated but stays in the chip, you need a big heatsink and hence a large lamp module.

There's also an "environ" rated GU10 fitting which only takes LEDs & CFLs and cannot take halogens (so you can't get a low carbon-rating on your house and replace the CFLs with halogens) and these are also the bigger size.

Our halogen GU10 fittings are crap, and not fire-rated, so I don't have many qualms about changing them

« Reply #46 on: 26 October, 2011, 12:43:29 pm »

rogerzilla

« Reply #47 on: 26 October, 2011, 08:26:14 pm »
I can't believe they will work well or have a long life with such little heatsinking.  They're also cool white.

border-rider

« Reply #48 on: 02 November, 2011, 06:18:49 pm »
It turns out that one of our neighbours has just started a business selling LED lights. He just came round and demo'd his GU10 equivalents, and they're very good.  Nice colour temperature and at a claimed 450 lumens from 6W in a 45 degree beam they're almost as bright as our top-end 8.5 W Crees

Cost is about £11-£12 apiece

« Reply #49 on: 02 November, 2011, 06:44:24 pm »
Is he online?