Author Topic: Pizza steel  (Read 16767 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Pizza steel
« Reply #25 on: 06 May, 2020, 10:27:46 pm »
I use one from Valentina Harris:
250g plain flour
250g strong white
1 sachet (7g) dried yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
Water  325ml
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #26 on: 06 May, 2020, 11:21:01 pm »
I'm totally in love with Patrick Ryan (or his recipes, at least) and this one is awesome:
https://www.ilovecooking.ie/food-tv/patrick-ryans-no-fuss-sourdough-pizza/

I haven't tried his baguettes yet but they're on the to-do list. No fancy trays involved:
https://www.ilovecooking.ie/food-tv/baguettes-masterclass-with-patrick-ryan/
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #27 on: 07 May, 2020, 10:36:55 am »

I haven't tried his baguettes yet but they're on the to-do list. No fancy trays involved:

This recipe takes up to 3 days to make, which might seem a little bit crazy, but I promise you the results are worth it and in no time at all you will be producing baguettes that will rival those found in any French bakery.

As if French bakeries would spend 3 days baking baguettes.... well, maybe some would.

I'm trying to replicate the generic, good, baguette you get in France, not the random artisan bakings which are normally also good, but quite often as a curiosity and a contrast to standard fare. While this recipe might relate well to the "baguette d'antan/a la ancienne" (which is likely to be pain au levain, too) the current generic, good, baguette has as one of its key markers a high water content dough that in turn requires the baguette tray to bake. You'll note that typically a "baguette a la ancienne" will have the classic pointy at both ends indicating it hasn't needed a baguette tray. As a consequence, they also stay fresh (or at least, edible) for longer.

citoyen

« Reply #28 on: 07 May, 2020, 11:02:18 am »
As if French bakeries would spend 3 days baking baguettes.... well, maybe some would.

Tbh, I'm in this more for the hipster points than trying to get a job in a French bakery.

ian

« Reply #29 on: 07 May, 2020, 11:12:02 am »
Is there anything better than a proper standard-issue French baguette.

It's not a question, because there isn't.

« Reply #30 on: 07 May, 2020, 02:06:39 pm »

Tbh, I'm in this more for the hipster points than trying to get a job in a French bakery.

You could possibly grow the beginnings of a goatee in three days, too.

citoyen

« Reply #31 on: 07 May, 2020, 07:38:51 pm »

You could possibly grow the beginnings of a goatee in three days, too.
Or make a cup of cold brew coffee in the drip tower.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #32 on: 07 May, 2020, 09:39:58 pm »
Is there anything better than a proper standard-issue French baguette.

It's not a question, because there isn't.

Still warm from the oven!  But the crustyness can cause problems to one mouth.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #33 on: 07 May, 2020, 09:43:20 pm »

This recipe takes up to 3 days to make, which might seem a little bit crazy, but I promise you the results are worth it and in no time at all you will be producing baguettes that will rival those found in any French bakery.

I'm trying to replicate the generic, good, baguette you get in France, not the random artisan bakings which are normally also good, but quite often as a curiosity and a contrast to standard fare. While this recipe might relate well to the "baguette d'antan/a la ancienne" (which is likely to be pain au levain, too) the current generic, good, baguette has as one of its key markers a high water content dough that in turn requires the baguette tray to bake. You'll note that typically a "baguette a la ancienne" will have the classic pointy at both ends indicating it hasn't needed a baguette tray. As a consequence, they also stay fresh (or at least, edible) for longer.

Thought that french bread flour is lower protein?  so takes less hydration (inserting hipster words) than the stronger uk/canadian wheat flour 9% for the french and 12% for uk seems to ring a bell.

« Reply #34 on: 07 May, 2020, 09:58:27 pm »

Thought that french bread flour is lower protein?  so takes less hydration (inserting hipster words) than the stronger uk/canadian wheat flour 9% for the french and 12% for uk seems to ring a bell.

Yes, it is less strong, the Carrs I bought is 9.5%, and appears to have added enzymes, I made it up with just over 70% water, so what I would normally use for a strong wholemeal. The resulting dough is too sloppy to hold itself in a round shape,

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #35 on: 16 May, 2020, 11:23:56 am »
Pizza experimentation awaits
2020-05-16_11-21-49 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #36 on: 16 May, 2020, 08:50:38 pm »
That all went rather well. Both the £15 ebay steel (h/t Ham!) and the new revised dough stretching technique. (I have always done it on a well oiled silicone sheet with loads of oil on my hands, tonight I used flour and a more proper technique).

The pizzas were a vast improvement on my previous efforts, no sogginess at all and the crusts were brill.

2020-05-16_08-46-07 by The Pingus, on Flickr

2020-05-16_08-45-50 by The Pingus, on Flickr

(Edited to make 2 different pizza photies!)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #37 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:08:51 pm »
Amazing to get them looking so similar!  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #38 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:14:10 pm »
That all went rather well. Both the £15 ebay steel (h/t Ham!) and the new revised dough stretching technique. (I have always done it on a well oiled silicone sheet with loads of oil on my hands, tonight I used flour and a more proper technique).

The pizzas were a vast improvement on my previous efforts, no sogginess at at and the crusts were brill.

What did they taste like?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #39 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:27:59 pm »
Like pizza!

« Reply #40 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:40:19 pm »
Purely on spec I grabbed a bag of pizza flour in a local shop earlier  https://www.mattas.co.uk

I have olive oil, tins of Mutti tomato polpo , some mozarella.     How do I make these into a pizza ?       I've not baked or made dough this century....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #41 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:45:05 pm »
Like pizza!

::-)  not a cheese toastie then.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #42 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:45:52 pm »

« Reply #43 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:54:36 pm »
Sex is like pizza. When it's good it's very very good. And when it's bad, it's still ok.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #44 on: 16 May, 2020, 10:48:50 pm »
Like pizza!

Was it good pizza?

As I said:

The pizzas were a vast improvement on my previous efforts, no sogginess at all and the crusts were brill.

What else do you need to know? They were good. I do not claim to be a food writer.

ian

« Reply #45 on: 18 May, 2020, 12:45:50 pm »
Sex is like pizza. When it's good it's very very good. And when it's bad, it's still ok.

You also get sticky bedsheets if you eat it in bed.

citoyen

« Reply #46 on: 18 May, 2020, 01:00:21 pm »

They look smashing!

citoyen

« Reply #47 on: 18 May, 2020, 01:01:11 pm »

You also get sticky bedsheets if you eat it in bed.

I was going to make a quip about both potentially leading to big car cleaning bills, but I won't bother now.

citoyen

« Reply #48 on: 23 May, 2020, 07:26:52 pm »
I should get myself one of those bits of steel. My oven just doesn't get hot enough for that scorched look - instead I have to leave it in longer and end up with a more evenly brown crust. Although maybe it could have done with being in a minute or two less. Still very tasty though, washed down with a can of Fourpure Juice Box...

« Reply #49 on: 23 May, 2020, 10:54:22 pm »
I should get myself one of those bits of steel. My oven just doesn't get hot enough for that scorched look - instead I have to leave it in longer and end up with a more evenly brown crust. Although maybe it could have done with being in a minute or two less. Still very tasty though, washed down with a can of Fourpure Juice Box...

Looked damn fine to me, glad to see that your choice of drink is actually an IPA and not something ridiculously healthy :thumbsup: