Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1629105 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11125 on: 04 June, 2019, 12:36:11 pm »
  • Doorbell rings. Person appears. Scrote makes random excuse.
  • Doorbell rings. No one appears. Scrote concludes building is empty, burgles at leisure.
  • Doorbell does not ring. No one appears. Scrote is left in state of uncertainty as to whether building is occupied and person unalerted due to non-ringing doorbell. Scrote might search for a definitely unoccupied building.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11126 on: 04 June, 2019, 12:38:51 pm »
  • Doorbell rings. No one appears. Scrote concludes building is empty, burgles at leisure.
  • Doorbell does not ring. No one appears. Scrote is left in state of uncertainty as to whether building is occupied and person unalerted due to non-ringing doorbell. Scrote might search for a definitely unoccupied building.

Hm, but surely scrote then does what any courier would do and knocks on the door?  Or are burglars more deaf-aware than shite couriers?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11127 on: 04 June, 2019, 12:42:45 pm »
Door is opened by two people, one who always tells the truth, the other pointing to a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11128 on: 04 June, 2019, 12:49:45 pm »

Hm, but surely scrote then does what any courier would do and knocks on the door?  Or are burglars more deaf-aware than shite couriers?
Burglars, at least while still in doorstep mode, are less time-pressured but more nervous than couriers. Also more circumspect due to the greater penalties for failure.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11129 on: 04 June, 2019, 01:00:56 pm »
Internal plumbing!  Even the Hindenburg didn't contain this much gas.  Just stop it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #11130 on: 04 June, 2019, 01:11:04 pm »
Our door bell is a knob which you pull which is attached to some wires that make an actual bell ring. The pulling aspect confuses a lot of people, though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11131 on: 04 June, 2019, 01:13:54 pm »
Our door bell is a knob which you pull which is attached to some wires that make an actual bell ring. The pulling aspect confuses a lot of people, though.

Anyone got a chain that operates a mercury switch?  A friend bought a house with one of those.

« Reply #11132 on: 04 June, 2019, 01:28:31 pm »
With a cunning arrangement of pulleys, I reckon the ultimate in remotely operated bells would be one of these:

https://www.houseofbrass.co.uk/bells/butlers-bells-pull-accessories
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #11133 on: 04 June, 2019, 10:45:53 pm »
O hai TV's Matt Roberts

Plz 2 not be giving away the result of the first Sidecar TT before the highlights thereof — which YOU present — have been broadcast.  You utter hamsteak.

kthxbai

fuzzy

« Reply #11134 on: 04 June, 2019, 11:26:12 pm »
Door bell does not ring and no one appears at the door. Scrote breaks in to check and discovers SHUVEL or FRYING PAN OV SPANG or POINTY STABBY wielding occupier asking how they can help.........

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11135 on: 05 June, 2019, 09:11:09 am »
Yeah, it's the possibility of that ^ that makes the faulty doorbell into a anti-burglar device. Sort of.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #11136 on: 05 June, 2019, 08:55:31 pm »
BRITONS' Blurtcasting Corporation, please do not illustrate the difference between Berkeley and Oakland by showing vehicles crossing the Bay Bridge.  They are bang next to one another on the east side of San Francisco Bay, dolts.

ian

« Reply #11137 on: 06 June, 2019, 10:58:05 am »
Yeah, but Berkeley is full of students and deprecated hippies while Oakland is full of gun-toting crackheads.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #11138 on: 06 June, 2019, 01:29:46 pm »
This was a documentary about the "Counter Culture" circa 1967, so crack hadn't been invented.  Oakland was just full of angry black kids who didn't want to be killed utterly to DETH in Vietnam.  Berkeley was full of angry white kids who had college deferrals.  And hippies.

essexian

« Reply #11139 on: 06 June, 2019, 02:30:10 pm »
I've run out of tea bags.

So, my choice is to hobble down to the shops to get some more which will hurt a considerable amount or make a cup of tea using CBH's "Lady Grey" tea bags, the tea from which tastes completely unlike normal tea.

Or..... I could always go postal.....

Hummmmm....tricky.  :demon:

ian

« Reply #11140 on: 06 June, 2019, 02:45:27 pm »
This was a documentary about the "Counter Culture" circa 1967, so crack hadn't been invented.  Oakland was just full of angry black kids who didn't want to be killed utterly to DETH in Vietnam.  Berkeley was full of angry white kids who had college deferrals.  And hippies.

Tbh, the last time I was in SF, the streets were filled with an extraordinary number of homeless – and by usual SF standards that means a lot.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11141 on: 07 June, 2019, 01:52:35 pm »
Both my wristwatches contrived to go flatline at the same time, so I dug the unasked-for/unwanted/detested Fitbit Surge, also flatline but rechargeable.  Found that I had to install Fitbit's botherware and shove a dognail up my poor PC just to set it to the right time.  POS.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #11142 on: 07 June, 2019, 02:07:18 pm »
I’ve got a stinking cold and I’m reeling very sorry for myself. And just to compound my woe, I’m visiting Ms Beardy the elder this weekend so can’t just curl up on the sofa and grumble. 😠
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11143 on: 07 June, 2019, 02:42:13 pm »
If I felt that lousy I'd stay home and keep the cold to myself.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #11144 on: 07 June, 2019, 04:25:47 pm »
It was considered, but being 300 miles away we don’t see her that often and arranging a weekend when both she and her mother are available it’s hard to cry off. At least this way the girls will get some time together even if I opt to stay in
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11145 on: 07 June, 2019, 04:38:28 pm »
Good luck.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #11146 on: 08 June, 2019, 04:31:15 pm »
I appreciate it must be difficult for TV's Matt Roberts to keep track of what bits of the TT have been broadcast in a week where the racing has been so mucked up by the weather, but ITV4's edit-monkeys have once again given away the result of a race we haven't seen yet.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11147 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:16:35 pm »
Wow!  Bloody hell, Biggles, and Biggles' mate.  You're not supposed to fly directly over the village.  And particularly not that low.  Straight up the high street.  People actually ducked.
Bet they were Yanks.
Gits.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11148 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:18:30 pm »
Wow!  Bloody hell, Biggles, and Biggles' mate.  You're not supposed to fly directly over the village.  And particularly not that low.  Straight up the high street.  People actually ducked.
Bet they were Yanks.
Gits.

Maybe they were checking the lottery results?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11149 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:41:17 pm »
Possibly.
But I imagine that the cost per minute of that flight considerably exceeded the jackpot value of the village lottery.
Particularly if the lead bird had put the brakes on. I've never seen them that close before.
Are we at war with Scotland?  They were heading north.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.