Author Topic: Hamstrings  (Read 4125 times)

Fi

Hamstrings
« on: 11 April, 2008, 11:43:45 pm »
Now I've got a six mile commute and no lights to stop at, my quads have thickened up alarmingly and quickly.  Does this cause an imbalance with the hamstrings?  If so, what do you hard quadded types do about it? 

border-rider

Re: Hamstrings
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2008, 11:46:34 pm »
Stretching.  It's a problem.  When I was fixed-wheel-audaxing I could barely walk off the bike.

Fi

« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2008, 11:48:16 pm »
I do stretch, in a corner of the office before anyone else gets in and in the evenings - seize up if I don't. But what do you do about the front being much stronger than the back, or doesn't it work like that?

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2008, 11:50:48 pm »
I'm not sure I ever had a real problem with that.

« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2008, 12:03:25 am »
Find another exercise to undertake to keep the legs in balance.

Yes I must listen to this advice at some point...

Jakob

« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2008, 02:36:59 pm »
4 months off the bike has done wonders for my hamstrings and I'll need to take care of them when I start riding again later this month!

« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2008, 03:21:06 pm »
I must say that my lay off has caused my posture to be improved. I thought it was to do with having to really concentrate on using all of my leg muscles and balancing properly while my leg gets used to carrying my weight again. I was completely immobile for 3 months. This thread has made me think a bit, my rehab. includes weight training using machines for my hamstrings and quads as well as adductor and abductors. All this started before I started riding on the road again. Thus I am beginning to think that the proper leg exercises have caused better posture and the cycling was causing bad posture.

« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2008, 09:12:12 am »
Spin. upping your cadence will produce leaner legs. (riding fixed gear produces tree-trunks, I couldn't wear normal straightleg jeans when I rode fixed).

If  you are using clipless pedals and spinning, your abductors etc should get a workout too.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2008, 09:59:26 am »
Your typical old cycle tourist would have a rigidly straight back, but about 5% forward of vertical, hunched round shoulders, and legs that were always slightly bent at the knee.

Off-road walking, running, or swimming are all good 'remedial' exercises.

Fi

« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2008, 12:18:56 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I think the spinning and incorporating some leg curls might be the answer - I can't walk more than a couple of miles unless at a dead slow stroll which ain't much use, or run.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 14 April, 2008, 12:42:34 pm »
I do stretch, in a corner of the office before anyone else gets in and in the evenings - seize up if I don't. But what do you do about the front being much stronger than the back, or doesn't it work like that?
My understanding of this is that a strength imbalance isn't TOO bad, as long as you maintain flexibility. So don't just stretch - make sure you can touch your toes, and then some if possible. That way your posture shouldn't be affected.

(Modern pro cyclists tend to have decent posture (at least when wearing normal clothes+shoes!), so I assume that their physios look after them properly, without sending them to the gym to use hamstring machine thingies.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles