Author Topic: Painful shoulders  (Read 2015 times)

Painful shoulders
« on: 28 April, 2008, 10:17:18 am »
I've been having some minor trouble with my shoulders on and off for the last few years.  I think some of it came from skater hockey (yes, like ice hockey), and the result is that sometimes my right shoulder is too sore to lie on for any length of time in bed.  The left one is not as bad, but there is still a niggle.  I can use my arms normally, btw, and there don't appear to be any mobility or range of movement problems on either side.  Given all my skating and cycling, my shoulders and arms are pretty skinny and lacking in muscle, and ridiculously so when compared with the lower half.

I know I should really see a physiotherapist, but perhaps someone here has a good link on some exercises I can do to sort this out?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Re: Painful shoulders
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2008, 10:06:34 am »
I sympathise. I had a problem with first one and then both shoulders. The pain in my right shoulder has now gone after 2 years and the left shoulder is almost pain free.
I found that shoulder pain always seems at its worst around 4 am and will go away for enough time to get to sleep, if you get up and walk around for 5 minutes (Co-codamal helps).
I think mine came about due to bad posture sitting at a computer all day - I got into the habit of sitting askew with my left elbow on the desk peering over left shoulder at screen. It was pointed out by a visiting client, who informed me that I was crushing the tendons in the top of the rotator cuff against the bone that forms the top of the shoulder (shoulder bone?).
I was given some exercises which also helped (I'll PM them to you when I've found em.) :)

annie

« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2008, 01:52:08 pm »
Hello again,

I have a number of exercises I can give you following my accident a few years ago and subsequent surgery.  My shoulder continues to be a problem, even walking can cause quite significant pain.  I have continued with the strengthening exercises and they have helped immensely.

I am wondering about the best way to send the exercises to you.  I can email them if you like?

annie

« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2008, 02:04:15 pm »
There are a couple of websites that you might find useful.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ShouldWt.html

I would concentrate on minimal weight to start with, think of the weight as resistance, you need not be concerned with building huge muscles but with strengthening and toning.

Stretches are just as important as the exercises.

Make sure that all of the exercises and stretches are done slowly and with good technique, apologies if this sounds in the slightest bit patronising.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00067