Author Topic: New French law bans recumbents?  (Read 6686 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
New French law bans recumbents?
« on: 27 September, 2022, 02:48:53 pm »
Perhaps. Not too clear.
There was a rather worrying notice appeared yesterday in the French press. The notice announces the ban of "Vélos Couché", on all roads where the speed limit is more than 50kph (31mph). Although no clarification on the definition of "Vélo Couché" was given, the term normally applies not only to recumbent pedal cycles, but also to the hand powerd recumbents used by paraplegics. I have often encountered recumbents in France, and regularly see them on serious climbs such as Ventoux, which it seems they will no longer be able to access.

"Rules of the road:  Starting in October 2022, bicycles will gain two additional categories: the vélomobile (bicyles with protective panelling) and the vélo couché (horizontal bicycles). As these bikes are lower to the ground and more difficult for motorists to detect, they will not be allowed on roads where the speed limit exceeds 50 km/h." 
https://road.cc/content/forum/recumbents-essentially-banned-france-296207
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: New French law bans recumbents?
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2022, 04:32:38 pm »
Been googling like buggery about this. All the sites I found that mention it are Belgian.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2022, 04:54:14 pm »
I hope it doesn't come over here that's my main  transport  :'(

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2022, 04:59:24 pm »
More difficult to detect bollocks.  Drivers definitely won’t be able to detect the road then which is even lower.

« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2022, 05:05:13 pm »
I notice no links to source in road cc article, is it entirely made up?

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2022, 05:20:31 pm »
Would be interesting for PBP. Given the enormous popularity of recumbents and velomobiles I wonder why they would even bother with new rules?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2022, 06:00:21 pm »
It’s a plot by the UCI to completely wipe out any mumblings from the HPV peeps. They’ve infiltrated the government and are now continuing the work they started in 1934
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2022, 06:14:35 pm »
If it were the UK, the way to contest this would be the indirect disability discrimination...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2022, 08:12:39 pm »
I notice no links to source in road cc article, is it entirely made up?
Possibly. I was hoping one of you darksiders would know a bit more.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9 on: 28 September, 2022, 06:44:39 am »
Seems to me that this would be creating an enforcement nightmare, or at least a new industry in "no recumbent" silly signage
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 28 September, 2022, 09:00:18 am »
Repeat: it's Belgium, not France.

Article in Lesoir.be:

Deux nouvelles catégories de vélos

Toujours concernant les vélos, deux nouvelles catégories vont faire leur entrée dans le code de la route : le « vélomobile », un vélo muni d’un carénage et le « vélo couché ». « On prévoit que sur les routes à max 50 km/h, ils peuvent choisir de rouler sur la chaussée même lorsqu’il y a une piste cyclable. Le but c’est d’être mieux visible car ce sont des vélos très bas. Les automobilistes ont parfois du mal à détecter et cela peut surprendre aux carrefours », explique le ministre écologiste.

"Two new categories of cycle

Still on the subject of cycles, two new categories will appear in the Highway Code: the 'velomobile', a cycle with a fairing, and the 'recumbent cycle'.  'On roads limited to 50 kph these may choose to travel on the road even when there's an adjoining cycle path. The idea is to make them more visible because they are very low. Motorists sometimes have trouble detecting them and may be surprised at intersections' explains the ecology minister."

In other words, nothing about restricting them to 50 kph roads. And to repeat it yet again, it's in Belgium, not France.

Le Soir also mentions that licensed electric bikes capable of 45 kph will be allowed to use cycle paths, so watch your backs if you're touring in Belgium (not France).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 28 September, 2022, 09:14:15 am »
Thanks for clearing that up, T42.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 28 September, 2022, 09:34:43 am »
No prob.

« Reply #13 on: 28 September, 2022, 10:17:09 am »
Repeat: it's Belgium, not France.

Article in Lesoir.be:

Deux nouvelles catégories de vélos

Toujours concernant les vélos, deux nouvelles catégories vont faire leur entrée dans le code de la route : le « vélomobile », un vélo muni d’un carénage et le « vélo couché ». « On prévoit que sur les routes à max 50 km/h, ils peuvent choisir de rouler sur la chaussée même lorsqu’il y a une piste cyclable. Le but c’est d’être mieux visible car ce sont des vélos très bas. Les automobilistes ont parfois du mal à détecter et cela peut surprendre aux carrefours », explique le ministre écologiste.

"Two new categories of cycle

Still on the subject of cycles, two new categories will appear in the Highway Code: the 'velomobile', a cycle with a fairing, and the 'recumbent cycle'.  'On roads limited to 50 kph these may choose to travel on the road even when there's an adjoining cycle path. The idea is to make them more visible because they are very low. Motorists sometimes have trouble detecting them and may be surprised at intersections' explains the ecology minister."

In other words, nothing about restricting them to 50 kph roads. And to repeat it yet again, it's in Belgium, not France.

Le Soir also mentions that licensed electric bikes capable of 45 kph will be allowed to use cycle paths, so watch your backs if you're touring in Belgium (not France).
That implies that if the speed limit is >50kph, these velomobiles are not permitted to travel on the road (not that it affects me).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 28 September, 2022, 10:22:59 am »
I read it as meaning that if the limit is up to 50, velomobiles and recumbents are exempted from the general obligation to use the cycle path. "...may choose to travel on the road even when there's an adjoining cycle path." Where the limit is over 50, this exemption does not apply and they get back on the cycle path with the uprights. The bit about "making them more visible" means that motorists might fail to see* them on the cycle path. They might literally overlook them!

*Debatable but that debate is had elsewhere.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #15 on: 28 September, 2022, 02:32:58 pm »
Is t mandatory to use the cycle paths in Belgium?

Just asking in that one of my ruminations is on a possible continental jaunt to the Low Countries next year
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #16 on: 28 September, 2022, 03:16:28 pm »
And I presume that if the road is >50kph and there is no adjoining cycle path they can use the road ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #17 on: 28 September, 2022, 03:17:19 pm »
Yes. Cars Drivers get quite aggressive if you don't.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18 on: 28 September, 2022, 04:21:42 pm »

I hope they're better these days than in 2007.  On one 300 out of Reims I used a so-called cycle path parallel to to a heavily-travelled/rutted A-road: it was around 75 cm wide, paved with concrete slabs with sometimes a fall of 4 cm from slab to slab and occasionally blocked by road-signs and the odd heap of gravel.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #19 on: 28 September, 2022, 05:10:22 pm »
Yes. I was once directed from a quiet fair b-road to a shitty cycle path by the police at 4:30am (Borders of Belgium audax).

This new rule actually makes sense to me. Crossing a parallel cycle path always has issues when hurried drivers make a turn and even more so when there is a fast velomobile riding there. Not mentioned, but it is also nicer with regards to other (upright) cyclists using the cycle path

« Reply #20 on: 28 September, 2022, 05:23:06 pm »
I visited Belgium in 2006 and checked the law before I went.  It said "you should use them if they are suitable" or words to that effect.  Some were certainly only suitable for a shopping bike at 5mph so I did not use them which attracted no problems.  A few years later I was looking to return but found that the rules had changed and now if it is there then you must use it.  Consequently I have not returned.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #21 on: 28 September, 2022, 05:30:01 pm »
I visited Belgium in 2006 and checked the law before I went.  It said "you should use them if they are suitable" or words to that effect.  Some were certainly only suitable for a shopping bike at 5mph so I did not use them which attracted no problems.  A few years later I was looking to return but found that the rules had changed and now if it is there then you must use it.  Consequently I have not returned.
IM (not that extensive, half a dozen long weekends if that) E, the cycle baths in Belgium are Quite Good.  What is hard for me to get my head round is how the drivers give way when turning across the line of a cycle path.  It's not what I'm used to in the UK and is a Good Thing.  Also mandatory is a bell "audible from 20m" OWTTE. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22 on: 29 September, 2022, 03:38:22 am »
My first experience of Belgian cycle paths was  being dumped on the wrong side of the road at the end of the canal route into Bruges from the Netherlands.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #23 on: 29 September, 2022, 06:33:35 am »
My first experience of Belgian cycle paths was  being dumped on the wrong side of the road at the end of the canal route into Bruges from the Netherlands.

If that’s the route coming in from Damme, I think I know the point you are talking about just as you come to the outskirts of Bruges. In which case there is a cycle crossing onto the right of the N374 as you join that road. I found that area a joy to cycle around, with a combination of cycle paths, many alongside the canals, and very quiet rural roads.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #24 on: 29 September, 2022, 09:02:58 am »
the cycle baths in Belgium are Quite Good. 

We need basil to go there to say if they are better than the ones in Birmingham.
It is simpler than it looks.