Author Topic: Actual Bath Time  (Read 4882 times)

Actual Bath Time
« on: 14 January, 2024, 06:31:38 pm »
Not wishing to visit Bath but to lay in one.
Mrs T and myself are currently looking to purchase a bath. We currently have a shower only but are moving rooms about and will have
a large room available so space for a bath and shower will not be an issue.
Having recently whilst on holiday bathed in a long low one we have realised that age etc is against us, and we are now looking for something deeper that we can sort of stretch in, but also enter and exit in a sensible fashion.
We do not wish to have the type you see advertised with opening doors just something deeper ideally with a fixed seat type
arrangement.
Any suggestions for makes and models would be appreciated and even more so if a physical showroom is available.
We are South East London based but happy to travel a bit.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: Actual Bath Time
« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2024, 06:48:27 pm »
No advice as such but my dad who was a lifelong lover of a daily bath had to resort to showers as he got old.

If you think about it, getting out of the bath is akin to standing up from sitting on the floor with your legs stretched out in front of you.  He could no longer do this.

In response to your Q - the other sort of bath I've seen is the tub designed with a step in itso deeper and shorter than your usual bathtub - this sort of thing (more here).
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2024, 08:21:32 pm »
No advice as such but my dad who was a lifelong lover of a daily bath had to resort to showers as he got old.

If you think about it, getting out of the bath is akin to standing up from sitting on the floor with your legs stretched out in front of you.  He could no longer do this.

In response to your Q - the other sort of bath I've seen is the tub designed with a step in itso deeper and shorter than your usual bathtub - this sort of thing (more here).

We are your dad. Wot?
Mrs M got to the stage where she could not get in or out of a bath. We *nearly* sent for trusted neighbours once to get her out!
I love a bath but accept that it's getting harder to get out.
We blew far too much money on getting a very good shower (rainfall, body jets, plenty of room to swing the cat when he stinks etc etc).
I still engage hotel baths but I must admit that our shower is the dog's whatsits.

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2024, 08:37:44 pm »
The bath in this house is bloody massive. There is no shower. Now that I have this chronic fatigue thing and concomitant muscle weakness/pain/poor balance, I have to flip over to hands and knees before getting out of the bath.

It’s a process. There are stages.
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2024, 11:04:35 pm »
No specific advice, but consider building useful things like grab-rails in at the outset, so you don't have to do ugly retrofits in future.

« Reply #5 on: 15 January, 2024, 08:16:49 am »
I have one of these, although I haven't bathed in it for over seven years (preferring to have a shower instead).

Heritage Perth Single Ended Roll Top Bath With Feet 1650 x 720mm
iro £780. Aqva Bathrooms.

[Edit: I didn't buy from that company, but bought local]

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6 on: 15 January, 2024, 09:04:57 am »
Can’t help, sorry. I install them in every house I refurbish , but must admit to not having had a ‘bath’ for over 23 years. Seems a complete waste of money to fill the thing with hot water , then empty it out again.  Agree with what others have said tho about ageing. I chum of mine lived on a boat for a long time, and when he got a flat with a bath, he had trouble getting out, where by he had to drain the water first. Quite what difference this makes I’m not sure, but seemed to work for him.

« Reply #7 on: 15 January, 2024, 11:58:55 am »

This. Stepping out of a bath is going to be worse in a deep one than a shallow one. Stick with a shower / wet room.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 15 January, 2024, 12:22:38 pm »
You can get baths where the side opens so you can walk in.

I've always thought that several new points of failure have been introduced.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 15 January, 2024, 12:24:02 pm »
Any scope for raising the floor level relative to the bath (or vice-versa)?  That would mean less height difference to straddle when stepping in and out.

« Reply #10 on: 15 January, 2024, 02:47:50 pm »
Any scope for raising the floor level relative to the bath (or vice-versa)?  That would mean less height difference to straddle when stepping in and out.

IMO having unequal heights is worse (assuming no step inside the bath). Consider also ceiling heights (no way could we introduce steps!)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 15 January, 2024, 02:58:21 pm »
You can get baths where the side opens so you can walk in.

I've always thought that several new points of failure have been introduced.

And the person freezes whilst waiting for the water to get high enough to wash in.   They had some in the hospital I trained in.  They were basically unusable and everyone used the old baths, which you could run and then put the patient in (with a hoist if needed).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 15 January, 2024, 06:22:26 pm »
I LOATHE wet rooms and can’t use my right arm to do much.
I also can’t stand without holding onto something.
Showers cause sensory overload.

I have a bath lift, which gets me in and out of the bath fairly safely, and can be removed when not in use.

Mine was supplied by my local authority but they can be bought, without too much spend.

Mine’s an Aquajoy Neptune.

ian

« Reply #13 on: 15 January, 2024, 07:58:38 pm »
Wet rooms are the leaking works of Satan herself. Baths, on the other hand, are the unction of angels. If you get a side-door bath, be aware they come pre-haunted by the ghost of June Whitfield. This can result in an offputting bath time, unless you like the audience.

It goes without saying that discarnate ethereal visitations are a common cause of chilly bathrooms and yet plumbers won't perform exorcisms.

I've never had a proper explanation for an American bathtub. I don't think there is an explanation.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14 on: 15 January, 2024, 08:24:59 pm »
Even USians don't know.  Theories include:

- they just don't like baths
- their jerry-built houses can't take the weight
- their taps, sorry, faucets are too slow
- people keep taking toasters into them
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #15 on: 15 January, 2024, 09:28:31 pm »

Thank you all for the considered replies. It is much appreciated.
I am not looking forwards to telling Mrs T that she is getting old although she would no doubt agree that I am at 7 months older than her  ;D
I do like the deep soaking baths linked so will send them across for consideration.
We have the opportunity to position a bath in a way that assistance can be provided from either side which is a bonus and could possibly incorporate handrails etc from the start which may also help.

I do accept the consensus that age is most definitely against us but Mrs T loves a good soak from time to time and having lived with a only a shower for many years I would love to find a good workable solution if possible.
We have looked at the below online but have not yet found a reasonably local supplier with one in stock.

I have one of these, although I haven't bathed in it for over seven years (preferring to have a shower instead).

Heritage Perth Single Ended Roll Top Bath With Feet 1650 x 720mm
iro £780. Aqva Bathrooms.

[Edit: I didn't buy from that company, but bought local]

« Reply #16 on: 16 January, 2024, 09:32:44 am »
Years ago we moored up alongside a distant water trawler due for scrapping. We did a bit of urbexing and noticed the bath was a cast iron sit-down tub. Just the one, and no showers. It was a steam powered vessel with a massive engine.  There were a few bibles scattered around- I guess it’d been through some biblical weather a few times.
Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

« Reply #17 on: 16 January, 2024, 10:35:43 am »
I bet there's no shortage of hot water on a steamer.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18 on: 16 January, 2024, 11:59:46 am »
I've never had a proper explanation for an American bathtub. I don't think there is an explanation.
What's different about an American bathtub? I presume from Rogerzilla's post it must be smaller, but is that all? I did google "American bathtub" and even found an "American Bath Factory" site, but there's nothing obvious apart from a lot of retroness. The "people also ask" google thing did include "What is the English name for bathtub?" so Americans are... confused.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 16 January, 2024, 02:33:19 pm »
If American bath tubs are smaller than BRITISH ones, how do you fit Americans in them?

Also, how does this relate to their weirdly oversized toilet bowls...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 16 January, 2024, 02:42:53 pm »
If American bath tubs are smaller than BRITISH ones, how do you fit Americans in them?

Also, how does this relate to their weirdly oversized toilet bowls...
I can't answer the first one, but the second is easy: they need smaller bathtubs because there's no room left in their bathrooms once you've put a huge toilet bowl in there.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #21 on: 16 January, 2024, 09:19:11 pm »
The typical American bathtub is a small tray, of the sort you'd wash your feet in before a dip in the local pool back during your verruca-plagued school days. Americans will respond that they do have proper bathtubs. This is a lie, those bathtubs only exist in movies and for the purposes of either murdering someone yourself or finding someone else's previous murderings, a sort of here's one I did earlier with a criminal flavour. Given the blimp-like proportions of The Average American, this means that maybe they can submerge a single buttock, if they use sufficient bubble bath to lubricate all the fubsy flesh into such a small volume of avocado bathroomware. Such minimized bathtubs could, of course, all be part of a devious plot to prevent the murderings. I would drown you, my dear, but the tub is terribly impractical, how about a boating trip?

American toilet bowls indeed have a depth and breadth that requires a lifeguard to be on hand in case you fall in. Also a water level usually high enough to be briefly flattering to any male who sits upon the watery throne. It doesn't help that any public toilet will feature cubicles mostly made out of gaps, rendering the process of bodily evacuation as a theatrical spectacle. Behold, the Great Backendio!

rogerzilla

« Reply #22 on: 17 January, 2024, 06:59:54 am »
I believe American chodbins are still mostly of a siphonic action, something briefly popular here in the 1970s until we realised they keep blocking, or failing to suck down the bangers and mash.

And they use siphons at the wrong end of the toilet; flush valves don't have the leakproof up and over action of a BRITISH cistern.  Having said that, new khazis here also tend to have leaky dual-flush valves that waste more water than a standard 6 litre cistern with a siphonic flush.

ian

« Reply #23 on: 17 January, 2024, 08:55:22 pm »
I don’t know how American toilets work but if you flush twice the Pacific Ocean empties.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 18 January, 2024, 01:38:45 am »
I don’t know how American toilets work but if you flush twice the Pacific Ocean empties.

They like to connect them directly to a 40mm (or USAnian equivalent) water main using one of those toggle knob things you get on water fountains, and assume that sheer water pressure will take care of business.  Which is probably true, if mildly terrifying.