Author Topic: Nikwax Analogy  (Read 2193 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Nikwax Analogy
« on: 19 February, 2024, 03:51:48 pm »
Has anyone got experience of using Nikwax Analogy clothing as used by Paramo? Dr Beardy has offered to buy me a new waterproof for my birthday and being a sweaty blob, I’m rather drawn by the claims made by Paramo. And Cioch, but I don’t think the budget will stretch that far. Although it’d be an excuse to visit Skye  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Nikwax Analogy
« Reply #1 on: 19 February, 2024, 04:02:28 pm »
Yes. I have three of their garments. They are excellent.

The zip of one of them packed up and I took it back to their place in Wadhurst and it was fixed under lifetime guarantee.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 19 February, 2024, 04:31:26 pm »
I have a Velez smock, Cascada jacket & trousers.   Excellent stuff. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 19 February, 2024, 04:45:33 pm »
Wot they said...
It is simpler than it looks.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 19 February, 2024, 04:53:44 pm »
Has anyone got experience of using Nikwax Analogy clothing as used by Paramo? Dr Beardy has offered to buy me a new waterproof for my birthday and being a sweaty blob, I’m rather drawn by the claims made by Paramo. And Cioch, but I don’t think the budget will stretch that far. Although it’d be an excuse to visit Skye  ;D

Yep. I have been using them for the last 12 years or so. Multiple jackets, and fleeces, Highly recommend.

Just remember to wash them with the correct stuff with enough regularity.

Only downside is it gets a bit too warm in the summer.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #5 on: 19 February, 2024, 04:59:52 pm »
Yes, Paramo every time, very adjustable.
I've had a general use jacket and trousers for over 25 years* - each have been back to Paramo once for replacement zips at a very reasonable price.
Don't have to think "what jacket shall I wear", it's worn every day, whatever the weather (heatwaves excepted).

*My husband thinks Paramo kit is expensive. In that time, he has purchased about 15 jackets, and currently has 4-5 on the hooks for different conditions...

Have now added a second-hand Velez jacket (thanks Slope, OTP) which has been my go-to bike jacket all winter.
I've never heard anyone complain about the quality of Paramo kit and it lasts and lasts.

« Reply #6 on: 19 February, 2024, 06:25:10 pm »
Too warm for me at anything more than easy walking pace.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7 on: 19 February, 2024, 07:10:19 pm »
I keep reading this as Nikwax Apology
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 19 February, 2024, 07:10:52 pm »
And I keep wondering what Nikwax is an analogy for.

« Reply #9 on: 19 February, 2024, 07:18:02 pm »
Awinkx.
On no. That's an anagram.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 19 February, 2024, 07:37:37 pm »
It's an analogy of hair-covered mammal skin. It is totally waterproof and by far the most breathable waterproof thing I've ever worn. Some people do find it too warm, but that also means you wear less under it. Paramo garments are expensive but no more expensive than equivalent quality items of eg eVent or GoreTex. But bear in mind that a material is not a garment and vice versa.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 19 February, 2024, 07:41:58 pm »

Yo me paramo jackets are basically an excellent example of the Sam Vimes Theory of economic inequality.

Yes it's expensive to buy one. But they last a very long time. My oriental Quito lasted a decade. Before that I was spending 80-100 quid every year to get a membrane jacket that would fail within about a year.

Over the ten year life, the paramo jackets is very economical.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #12 on: 19 February, 2024, 09:12:06 pm »

I have a vague distant memory that the company founder was called Nick?

« Reply #13 on: 19 February, 2024, 09:18:05 pm »

I have a vague distant memory that the company founder was called Nick?
Nick Brown.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 19 February, 2024, 09:47:23 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #15 on: 19 February, 2024, 09:51:32 pm »
In my experience as a very sweaty person, even the lighter Paramo jackets run warm and are not as breathable as the best Gore-Tex. You need to reproof regularly with the Nikwax stuff. But the jackets last forever and are immensely practical

« Reply #16 on: 19 February, 2024, 10:32:51 pm »
This thread has prompted me to get around to selling my Paramo Quito. If interested, see https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=127980.0

« Reply #17 on: 20 February, 2024, 08:59:06 am »
even the lighter Paramo jackets run warm

Most of my rides consist of slogging uphill for 30-60 minutes, then freezing downhill for 5-10 minutes.
Very difficult to control temperature/sweatiness under those conditions.
I find the adaptability of Paramo kit, with pit zips, double ended main zips etc works much better than Gortex/Endura etc.
You know that horrible sensation of putting on a jacket that's wet inside after a cafe stop?
If my Paramo kit gets a bit sweaty, it doesn't stay wet and cold inside.
I do tend to run cold and always prioritise staying warm over being cold. And I live in the N.Pennines...
And I hate having to buy new kit - never seem to find what I want. This Paramo kit will outlive me.
Paramo's excellent repair service does tend to have a long waiting list, but you can repair by home sewing, as there is no membrane to puncture.

« Reply #18 on: 20 February, 2024, 09:26:53 am »
Mrs LJ has a Paramo jacket of some sort and she loves it.  It does seem to keep out the rain and I like the ethos of the company - repairable and made responsibly.  But is it just a nicely made jacket with a chemical waterproofing that you wash in?  In other words would you get the same sort of waterproofing by just buying a cheap-made-by-slave-labour jacket and chucking it in the washing machine with some Nikwax?

I am not having a go at Paramo, I like the ethos of the company as I said above, and I have started trying to buy clothes that are better made so that they last longer, and with less man-made fibre.

« Reply #19 on: 20 February, 2024, 10:14:53 am »
Mrs LJ has a Paramo jacket of some sort and she loves it.  It does seem to keep out the rain and I like the ethos of the company - repairable and made responsibly.  But is it just a nicely made jacket with a chemical waterproofing that you wash in?  In other words would you get the same sort of waterproofing by just buying a cheap-made-by-slave-labour jacket and chucking it in the washing machine with some Nikwax?

I am not having a go at Paramo, I like the ethos of the company as I said above, and I have started trying to buy clothes that are better made so that they last longer, and with less man-made fibre.
I think the layers of fabric make a difference. Paramo have a whole system of layers of fabric, each with a different weave and material to get a specific behaviour.

Outer layer provides Directional water-repellency while the Pump Liner actively pushes liquid moisture away from the body keeping you dry from precipitation, perspiration and condensation.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #20 on: 20 February, 2024, 10:20:29 am »
In my experience as a very sweaty person, even the lighter Paramo jackets run warm and are not as breathable as the best Gore-Tex. You need to reproof regularly with the Nikwax stuff. But the jackets last forever and are immensely practical

They are also almost silent to wear, which can be important in certain pastimes.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #21 on: 20 February, 2024, 10:24:09 am »

Nickwax do sell a range of proofing chemicals for different fabrics. But a plus of the Paramo kit is it's very comfortable to wear - bearing in mind it isn't designed for cycling specifically in general. And as other have noted, a lifetime repair, inclusing if you rip it - which is quite hard to do.

You could iuse your analogy to describe bicycles too of course. A cheap bicycle does most of the functions of one costing many multiples of it's cost.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 20 February, 2024, 12:45:31 pm »
A point to remember when buying Paramo garments, and I think the company say it themselves, their garments are very Anglo-Saxon in sizing. That is, if you're normally a medium, you'll want a small in Paramo, etc.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #23 on: 20 February, 2024, 01:08:38 pm »
Another fan here after trying several over the years. Now have two waterproofs, the multi pocketed heavy duty Pajaro and the slightly lighter Alta III. Also have the Bentu windproof and matching mid layer fleece and best of all the Cascada trousers - but they are NOT cycling compatible at all - just the most comfy waterproof, not sweaty, walking trousers, best worn next to the skin.

Personal plus points:
1. Comfy, as in non laminated plastic Goretex etc, which I've always defaulted to previously since 1990
2. The non bonded mesh lining, as in no body in contact with the outer shell.
3. Pit zip and double ended front zip help somewhat controlling heat.
4. Decent sized velcro cinching wrist openings, so as not to fight with gloves.
5. Repairability

Cons:
1. Heavy
2. Jackets only come with substantial hoods, which adds to the weight. A stud fastened removable one would be ace though?
3. Non-aero = baggy
4. They do benefit from regular Nikwax TX washes and Nikwax wash in re-proofer maybe once a year, depending?
5. Not always a fan of some of their 'colourway' design choices :-\

Deffo not chain gang kit. More for pootlers, beardies and sandalers? They are warm - but as I've now added 2 e-assist bikes to the stable, I don't have to sweat up the Welsh mountains if I so choose. If it's going to be a wet or even just cold day, I'll ride with the jacket always on - and use minimal merino wool undergarments. And as mentioned, the mesh liner absolutely prevents any damp clothes coming into contact with a condensated outer shell. I do wish there was a removable lighter hood version - the hoods are obviously designed for maximum protection out on blizzardy mountain tops. Even if wrapped up and buttoned down, it feels like a monkey catching a ride on one's back - or alternatively just a lot of fabric flapping about.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #24 on: 20 February, 2024, 01:18:39 pm »
ps My local shop does mail order with attractive discounts

https://www.cribgochoutdoor.com/paramo

as does the also recommended company

https://www.foothills.uk.com/