Author Topic: A random racing thread for non Grand Tour stuff.  (Read 50001 times)

Re: A random racing thread for non Grand Tour stuff.
« Reply #175 on: 26 December, 2023, 08:19:46 pm »

« Reply #178 on: 29 January, 2024, 09:08:46 pm »

« Reply #179 on: 30 January, 2024, 08:09:22 am »
Oscar Onley
Now has broken collar bone

« Reply #180 on: 04 February, 2024, 05:52:42 pm »
That Mathieu Van Der Poel!

Just watched him win the World cyclo-cross for the 5th time in 6 years.  He is so elegant on a bike and made it look as if it was just a cafe ride.  Absolutely astonishing.  I do hope he has a real go at one of the tours.  I was pleased he also won the Road Race last year after the previous year's sabotage.

I couldn't actually listen to it, though:  the commentator plonks EVERY word, as if he is trying to sound like Artificial Intelligence.  If he has an actual speech impediment, then I hope you and he will forgive my insensitive remark.  I don't know his name.

EDIT:  Also very similar display in her race by Zoe Backstedt, whose dad won Roubaix abut twenty years ago.

« Reply #181 on: 04 February, 2024, 07:58:47 pm »
BBC only cover BC cycling events like world champs/olympics because they have to.
They haven't a clue about cycling and the commentary is usually grim.

« Reply #182 on: 04 February, 2024, 08:11:59 pm »
I take your point, Flite and, indeed, the coverage is only on the red button.  But the actual visuals were superb.  I just can't imagine that anybody really talks like that - even the definite and indefinite articles sound like bombs going off!

« Reply #183 on: 04 February, 2024, 10:28:08 pm »
Commentary on Discovery Plus was mostly OK where I find Marty McCrossan (I think) just about tolerable, Jeremy Powers OK but Ian Field and Helen Wyman very good.  For some reason they dragged someone in off the street to commentate on the Junior Mens race - it took him half a lap to realise that one of the main contenders had a rear puncture in spite of me shouting it at the screen repeatedly.

« Reply #184 on: 04 February, 2024, 11:31:10 pm »
Jon, it's a long way to the Czech Republic (not so far to Tipperary).

« Reply #186 on: 06 February, 2024, 03:01:30 pm »
... For some reason they dragged someone in off the street to commentate on the Junior Mens race ...
I think there was some kind of fault with the commentary feed - if you stuck with the coverage after the race finished then Marty & co suddenly appeared!
My husband said something about the other guy doing a podcast of some kind. He also commentated on the coverage of the team relay which for some reason wasn't on Discovery - you can find it on YouTube and it is a good race.

« Reply #187 on: 06 February, 2024, 03:44:52 pm »
... For some reason they dragged someone in off the street to commentate on the Junior Mens race ...
I think there was some kind of fault with the commentary feed - if you stuck with the coverage after the race finished then Marty & co suddenly appeared!
My husband said something about the other guy doing a podcast of some kind. He also commentated on the coverage of the team relay which for some reason wasn't on Discovery - you can find it on YouTube and it is a good race.

Apparently it was a guy called Matt Payne.  I suspect that he was dragged in at the last minute to commentate due to technical issues.  Probably watching the feed on someone's phone and just blagging the commentary the best he could!

« Reply #188 on: 09 February, 2024, 08:25:21 pm »
Tour of Columbia today...
(click to show/hide)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #189 on: 10 February, 2024, 01:12:11 pm »
Tour of Columbia today...

<sniiiiiiiiff !>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #190 on: 10 February, 2024, 01:39:43 pm »
Tour of Columbia today..
:thumbsup:

« Reply #191 on: 10 February, 2024, 01:49:11 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=uci

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfGZas_SUIc&t=515s

There you go again m just posting random YT links with no context or description. I never click on them.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #192 on: 10 February, 2024, 02:15:22 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=uci

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfGZas_SUIc&t=515s

There you go again m just posting random YT links with no context or description. I never click on them.
Several other prolific posters on this this forum also engage in that behaviour and it is wholeheartedly condoned by moderators. ::-)

« Reply #193 on: 11 February, 2024, 05:02:47 pm »
Start of the British Road Racing season  :thumbsup:

Unusually warm and dry out today, racing close to Portsmouth. Alex Dowsett and Ed Clancy were out, but didn't place. Great to have racing back on the roads.

https://thebritishcontinental.co.uk/2024/02/11/2024-portsdown-classic-report-and-results/

« Reply #194 on: 11 February, 2024, 05:23:59 pm »
Start of the British Road Racing season  :thumbsup:

Unusually warm and dry out today, racing close to Portsmouth. Alex Dowsett and Ed Clancy were out, but didn't place. Great to have racing back on the roads.

https://thebritishcontinental.co.uk/2024/02/11/2024-portsdown-classic-report-and-results/

The 3D course map on the preview/start list page confirms something that I've long suspected. Namely, that despite what my eyes tell me, the Southwick-North Boarhunt road is actually rising as it swings round to the crossroads where the course turns south to climb up through Boarhunt.  ;D

https://thebritishcontinental.co.uk/2024/01/31/2024-portsdown-classic-preview-and-startlist/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #195 on: 13 February, 2024, 02:08:25 pm »
I realise everyone must use through axles these days, but WVA lost ~8 seconds tightening his up in CJPI24

« Reply #196 on: 13 February, 2024, 05:59:04 pm »
CJPI24?

« Reply #197 on: 13 February, 2024, 06:11:51 pm »
Clásica Jaén Paraíso Interior.

Wout van Aert didn't just lose 8 seconds - he lost the whole race.

« Reply #198 on: 13 February, 2024, 08:55:14 pm »
Ah, I think I see ... !

« Reply #199 on: 14 February, 2024, 06:11:52 pm »
So, are there actually any procycling teams not using Roval wheels?  :)