Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2930707 times)

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #22425 on: 30 July, 2020, 11:02:25 am »
Have you approached the quarry direct??

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22426 on: 30 July, 2020, 11:37:05 am »
Or waited til closing time and visited with a wheelbarrow?  :P
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #22427 on: 07 August, 2020, 04:34:02 pm »
Dear colleague, how lazy do you have to be to sign off your emails "KR"? If typing "Kind Regards" is too much effort, perhaps you could stretch to "Regards"?
Grrrrrrrrrr.

« Reply #22428 on: 07 August, 2020, 04:59:04 pm »
In a previous company it was typical to sign off with /mvh

But that was a bit shorter than med vänliga hälsningar (with friendly greetings)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22429 on: 07 August, 2020, 05:08:00 pm »
Like German mfG - mit freundlichen Grüßen. Or freudlichen gruseln, provoking Freudian horror, sort-of.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #22430 on: 07 August, 2020, 06:02:46 pm »

But that was a bit shorter than med vänliga hälsningar (with friendly greetings)
Ah thanks for that, I've often wondered what that meabs but been too lazy to look it up..
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22431 on: 07 August, 2020, 09:18:22 pm »
I remember when people used to sign off emails with "-- " and then a signature that was more likely to feature ASCII-art than a waste-of-bandwidth legal disclaimer.   >:(

« Reply #22432 on: 07 August, 2020, 09:21:00 pm »
.......and the ubiquitous Civil Service Yours ever.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #22433 on: 07 August, 2020, 09:45:36 pm »

Ah thanks for that, I've often wondered what that meabs but been too lazy to look it up..

Med Vennlig Hilsen  paa Norsk

« Reply #22434 on: 08 August, 2020, 08:21:20 am »
I remember when people used to sign off emails with "-- " and then a signature that was more likely to feature ASCII-art than a waste-of-bandwidth legal disclaimer.   >:(

And proper email clients automatically deleted the incoming sig when you replied, and you'd reply underneath, snipping irrelevant parts out.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #22435 on: 08 August, 2020, 09:52:28 am »

And proper email clients automatically deleted the incoming sig when you replied, and you'd reply underneath, snipping irrelevant parts out.
Wasn't there a thing in Usenet where the brokenness of $newsreader (Outlook I think) could be demonstrated by doing stuff with dash dash space and getting a warning/rude/other message to display?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #22436 on: 08 August, 2020, 10:08:19 am »
I remember when people used to sign off emails with "-- "

I still do! More out of habit than anything.

Never been one for ascii art though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #22437 on: 10 August, 2020, 10:48:47 am »
I'm wondering how much of the internet is iteratively nested legal disclaimers, and whether they'll eventually take over and start self-declaiming.

Rant, oh yeah, rant. The fucking building project up the road is still going on, now on day 5,563. We took last week off, which meant we had the delightful waking chorus of drilling and grinding every morning at just after 8am. Then on Saturday, the chap next door but one to them decide to play with his power tools in the front garden at 9am.

Of course, it's a gorgeous day, the windows are open and grind-grind-brrrttt-hammer-grind-grind-brrrrrrrzzzzzzt. I'm almost missing the halcyon days when it was just them dumping tonnes of rubble in an empty skip all day.

I'm tempted to go up and show them some innovative painful and fatal uses for those fucking power tools.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #22438 on: 10 August, 2020, 08:32:09 pm »

Tusen takk, shirley.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #22439 on: 10 August, 2020, 08:37:15 pm »

Tusen takk, shirley.

Not if someone hasn't done anything worth thanking you for...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #22440 on: 10 August, 2020, 08:39:41 pm »

Tusen takk, shirley.

Not if someone hasn't done anything worth thanking you for...

Well, MattH gave you some info.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #22441 on: 12 August, 2020, 04:37:57 pm »
Trying to sit and enjoy the sun in the garden but being subjected to someone else's shit music from several gardens away.  >:(

« Reply #22442 on: 12 August, 2020, 05:36:46 pm »
Trying to sit and enjoy the sun in the garden but being subjected to someone else's shit music from several gardens away.  >:(

I feel your pain.

I ended up deciding that being drenched in sweat was a small price to pay for not being subjected to the "R&B" blasting out from a neighbour's radio, and went for a ride.

Fortunately, it had stopped by the time I got back .
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ian

« Reply #22443 on: 12 August, 2020, 05:57:51 pm »
I am sure there's a name for the fact that outdoor music volume is inversely proportional to how much anyone wants to hear it. Which explains the overloud doppler-shifted wankmusic that is emitted from topless motorcars.

That said, it's probably better than the construction site. I finally gave in and went to see what they're doing. Seems to be some major garden restructuring project. There had better be a secret underground lair underneath. And sharktanks.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #22444 on: 12 August, 2020, 06:00:49 pm »

I feel your pain.

I ended up deciding that being drenched in sweat was a small price to pay for not being subjected to the "R&B" blasting out from a neighbour's radio, and went for a ride.

I suggest you return fire with Ride of the Valkyries, while simultaneously strafing them from helicopters.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #22445 on: 12 August, 2020, 06:22:29 pm »
Quote from: Karla
Quote from: spesh
Quote from: Mrs Pingu

I feel your pain.

I suggest you return fire with Ride of the Valkyries, while simultaneously strafing them from helicopters.
Sod the music, cut straight to the strafing run from the helicopters.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #22446 on: 12 August, 2020, 06:58:16 pm »
It got worse for a bit, segueing from some disco I don't know to Papa Don't Preach by McDonna which was pretty dire. Then it got better with a trip to Tom Tom Club before finishing with Kate Bush and then eventually they STFU.
Still, it could have been worse. If there'd been Oasis I'd have had to go indoors.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22447 on: 12 August, 2020, 07:45:59 pm »

I feel your pain.

Forget ROTV, go with Immigrant Song instead
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #22448 on: 12 August, 2020, 07:53:27 pm »

I feel your pain.

Go for the worst of both worlds and give them “The Crunge”.  Led Zeppelin attempt soul.  Drugs probably involved.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #22449 on: 12 August, 2020, 08:55:53 pm »

I feel your pain.

Go for the worst of both worlds and give them “The Crunge”.  Led Zeppelin attempt soul.  Drugs probably involved.

If you’re taking that approach just put “In Through the Out Door” on at full volume. And repeat. Then emigrate.

But that could reasonably be construed as an overreaction.