Author Topic: Poo sticks  (Read 55855 times)

Re: Poo sticks
« Reply #250 on: 15 March, 2023, 01:01:53 pm »
A letter this morning saying my next test kit will be arriving shortly.   Last one was January 2021. 

All part of the fun of growing old.  PSA last month which was thankfully OK. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #251 on: 15 March, 2023, 01:06:09 pm »
Did you opt for a PSA test? It's not one of the default ones the NHS does.

I got a lot of hostility from USAnians on FB when I said I'd never had a PSA test. My understanding is that they aren't that reliable, which is why the NHS doesn't do them by default, but My Mate Frank, who was given 5 years to live in 2017 when he had his prostate removed, told me earlier this month that if they had been a standard test, he wouldn't have had the trouble he has had.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #252 on: 15 March, 2023, 01:25:09 pm »
I had to out-manouvre the receptionist at our GP practice before she would book my husband in for a PSA test. They do not do them routinely, but it seems they can't really refuse if you ask (aka winge on relentlessly till they give in).
Our neighbour has just had surgery to remove his prostate, done as a planned operation having been monitored for a few years. AIUT,  once there is a base-line record, changes can be picked up which is more effective than a one-off test.

« Reply #253 on: 15 March, 2023, 01:35:33 pm »
I got a text from my GP surgery a month or so back which referred me to the Prostate Cancer UK* website suggesting it was a good idea to book one in via the surgery.   I was arranging blood tests for other things**  so they stuck that on the list as well. 

On checking my records I'd previously has one back in 2015 as well.

*which bombarded me with emails until I hit "unsubscribe"

** textbook gallstone symptoms when I made the arrangement,  the 1st appointment for an ultrasound scan got lost & is rescheduled for Saturday.  In the meantime the discomfort has passed...

« Reply #254 on: 15 March, 2023, 07:34:01 pm »

Did you opt for a PSA test? It's not one of the default ones the NHS does.
I've been retired for over a decade so my information is probably out of date.

PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) is a straightforward reliable assay. Highly specific, accurate and precise. It's assayed using high throughput automated analysers.
It used to be less precise at low (normal) levels, but better assays had come along by the time I stopped doing them.

It's an assay that can give slightly raised values in normal men for no apparent reason, leading to further investigations
As an assay it is excellent at monitoring the course of prostate treatment, or the growth of a tumour. This, in the UK, is its main purpose.

The argument against the use of PSA as a screening test was always the cost / benefit ratio.
It used to be a relatively expensive assay, and you'd have to screen an awful lot of men to detect a small number of cancers. You'd also detect a number of men who are 'normal' but with raised PSA levels.
I /think/ there may also have been an argument that PSA will also detect benign tumours that do not need to be treated.

The USanian health care system does like to play Clinical Bingo (get lots of numbers and see if a disease can be found) there may be a reason for that but it e$cape$ me for the moment.

The predecessor to PSA was dirt cheap as regards reagents, fairly good for screening, but could not be automated - hence unsuitable and too costly for the 21st century (and you had to avoid nookie for a few days before)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #255 on: 15 March, 2023, 09:06:57 pm »
My understanding is that the US "health" system generally does something because there is money to be made from it. This, apparently, is the main reason that so many USAnian men are circumcised. Nothing to do with religion or health: it's just that doctors get paid for doing it so they wholeheartedly recommend it to their patients.

« Reply #256 on: 21 March, 2023, 01:30:12 pm »
I've never had a PSA test but I did once have a man called Rupert stick his finger up my bum.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #257 on: 21 March, 2023, 01:31:42 pm »
I've never had a PSA test but I did once have a man called Rupert stick his finger up my bum.

Is that where the Sun shone from?

« Reply #258 on: 21 March, 2023, 01:51:15 pm »
Ha! Different Rupert, I think, though I did have my back to him most of the time.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #259 on: 21 March, 2023, 02:17:38 pm »

How did you bear that?

« Reply #260 on: 21 March, 2023, 04:18:05 pm »
I don't know. It was a grizzly experience.

Truly terrible jokes belong elsewhere...

« Reply #261 on: 24 March, 2023, 12:49:32 pm »
A little NHS labelled package has just arrived....

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #262 on: 24 March, 2023, 11:00:01 pm »
Me too also  :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #263 on: 24 March, 2023, 11:06:27 pm »
Oh sorry.  Did I miss address my sample?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #264 on: 06 April, 2023, 11:41:26 pm »
A little NHS labelled package has just arrived....

And negative again  :thumbsup:

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #265 on: 06 April, 2023, 11:48:27 pm »
 :thumbsup:

I eventually got around to doing mine and posting it yesterday (do you know how difficult it is to poo in a post box?  :-X )

« Reply #266 on: 07 April, 2023, 01:31:29 pm »
Popped my poo in the post last weekend.
Had a 'NFA required' letter a couple of days ago.

« Reply #267 on: 07 April, 2023, 01:53:06 pm »
Shouldn’t it be poost ?

I had the PSA test during my healthy over 40s check about 9 years ago.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #268 on: 15 April, 2023, 05:26:07 pm »
:thumbsup:

I eventually got around to doing mine and posting it yesterday (do you know how difficult it is to poo in a post box?  :-X )

Passed the poo test  :)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #269 on: 15 April, 2023, 06:25:49 pm »
I hate to be a gloom merchant, but a word of warning.
My brother passed the poo test, but was diagnosed with colon cancer less than a year later.  They estimated that he'd had it for at least 10 years.  ::-).
Died about 5 years later.

They don't suggest that the test is a guarantee,  just a useful guide.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #270 on: 15 April, 2023, 06:42:41 pm »
I don't think any of these tests offer a cast-iron guarantee. They just push the statistics in the right direction.

A while back, on a FB cycling group, I got a load of stick from some USAnians over my attitude to cycling headgear. Then a short while later in the same thread, someone asked about whether he should cycle before having a PSA test because he was worried it might affect the result. Again, I mentioned that I had never had a PSA test, and got stick for that. It's one of those standard things that for-profit health care systems tend to do, because doctors get paid extra for doing them (or so I understand from my daughter). But the results from them are relatively unreliable.

In the UK, we routinely test for 3 types of cancer: bowel, cervix & breast. Apparently those tests are reliable enough to push the statistics in the right direction. It would appear that there are too many random factors in PSA tests.

« Reply #271 on: 15 April, 2023, 08:59:01 pm »
As I understand it, at least from the french view of screening, both PSA and "poo sticks" are only a warning to get further investigation. Family history and precedents seem to play a big part in what happens (as does how serious your GP in following up things. I was aware that I was a candidate for coloscopy due to my dad's colo-rectal but my GP at the time had little interest in following up and pushing me when I refused to go private. My new GP made it a condition of her accepting me as a patient, to be repeated at regular intervals!).
In my case a slightly raised PSA was sufficient reason to see a man with a white coat and a long finger. He is just following up with annual screening and the threat of an echo (I think echo-sound IIRC) if he thought things had deteriorated. It seems to be a bit on his assessment, my last bloods were in the range for further investigation but he evidently hasn't thought it necessary.
The coloscopy was done about 10 years after it was due. I have never done the poo thing as I was always on a coloscopy protocol due to family history. I had seven polyps removed but the surgeon said that he saw nothing worrying in them and I have not been informed of anything worrying from the biopsy. However he has said no more than 3 years between coloscopies (due to family history) instead of the 5 year interval proposed by the GP).
I don't know if the french attitude to screening is better than the UK but I seem to know quite a few cancer survivors, bowel and prostate (mainly in the cycling club!)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #272 on: 16 April, 2023, 06:58:14 am »
Germany seems to have a very high rate of bowel cancer (some link it to excessive cured meat consumption) so poo sticks start at 50 and you can have a colonoscopy every 5 years if you want one, more regularly if you have family history.

I was offered one a few months ago but turned down that fun as there’s no family history and I didn’t see the need. Poo sticks must have come back ok as I didn’t hear anything (in Germany no news is good news, they don’t inform you of a negative result).

Germany used to do cervical smears every year, now it’s every 3 years for those without an HPV infection.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #273 on: 10 May, 2023, 05:45:41 pm »
An anecdote about poo sticks.

Today I met a man in endoscopy recovery who had done a poo stick test, that was flagged up. Had an endoscopy and as a result of that some removal of stuff and some radio therapy.

Today he was very happy as he got his all clear.

(In case you are wondering, I got green pee, it brightened up the day)
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #274 on: 10 May, 2023, 08:12:23 pm »
Fluoroscein?