Author Topic: Removing stubborn pedals  (Read 22643 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Removing stubborn pedals
« Reply #25 on: 20 February, 2012, 05:40:16 pm »
Is there any reason why you can't just sacrifice the crank and stick a new one on?
Three reasons: I dislike waste and scrapping decent parts, I'm semi-skint*, and I'm trying to pay the bills! Oh, and a fourth one - I don't want to have more delay buying a new crank. At least I know I can fit it though! And can you actually buy just a l/h crank?
Alternatively could you substitute the pedal spanner in Feanor's pic with a large set of mole grips done up bastard-tight on the pedal axle?
Wouldn't work - the axle (which is six-sided rather than having flats) is already too rounded off. And there's only room between crank and pedal for a medium pair of mole grips.

*Well, in a way, sort of.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #26 on: 20 February, 2012, 05:43:04 pm »
Hot air gun - when I was pottering with pottery, we had a hot air gun for drying slip and stuff. That, I think, might have done the job, but I'm not sure where I'd get one now! I can't see a hair dryer quite being up to the job!

I have got one at home if you want you can come round and have a go as it is a bit less drastic than the blow torch. It's technically not mine so i can't really lend it.
That could be just what I need.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #27 on: 20 February, 2012, 05:51:21 pm »
Cudzo, let us know how you get on, please; I've got this job coming up.  Feanor's set up looks excellent but I think he needs to actually ride the bike from time to time - it's TOO shiny!

« Reply #28 on: 20 February, 2012, 06:11:05 pm »
A kettles worth of boiling water over the crank (but none on the pedal) might loosen things up as the crank expands

« Reply #29 on: 20 February, 2012, 07:09:14 pm »
Another thought, would it be possible to drill a hole through the bit of pedal near the crank to put something long through it for leverage? I guess a pretty decent metal drill bit and decent drill would be needed here, but if the crank was off the bike it would be technically possible?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 20 February, 2012, 07:16:42 pm »
Is there any reason why you can't just sacrifice the crank and stick a new one on?
Three reasons: I dislike waste and scrapping decent parts, I'm semi-skint*, and I'm trying to pay the bills! Oh, and a fourth one - I don't want to have more delay buying a new crank. At least I know I can fit it though! And can you actually buy just a l/h crank?

Yes. You might be pleasantly surprised at how cheaply, if you're not fussy about the thing matching.

If you've truly rounded off the 'nut', I would be looking into this option.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #31 on: 20 February, 2012, 07:23:53 pm »
Feanor's set up looks excellent but I think he needs to actually ride the bike from time to time - it's TOO shiny!

Before  got to the end of your sentence, I assumed it was a reference to the diameter of my middle!
The shiny is just an artefact of the flash-gun, honest  :)

« Reply #32 on: 20 February, 2012, 07:29:32 pm »
Cudz - I have the large size professional Park pedal spanner here with a mahoosive handle, and a large rubber hammer.  That normally does the trick.  If you fancy a quick visit to the bwncwr (not actually all that far from the bridge) then you'd be very welcome.

« Reply #33 on: 20 February, 2012, 07:34:32 pm »
Feanor's set up looks excellent but I think he needs to actually ride the bike from time to time - it's TOO shiny!

Before  got to the end of your sentence, I assumed it was a reference to the diameter of my middle!
The shiny is just an artefact of the flash-gun, honest  :)

;D

« Reply #34 on: 20 February, 2012, 07:40:50 pm »

Yes. You might be pleasantly surprised at how cheaply, if you're not fussy about the thing matching.

If you've truly rounded off the 'nut', I would be looking into this option.

Yeah, here's one for £7!
http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/crank-l-h-170mm-stl

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 20 February, 2012, 07:53:57 pm »
Prior experience of Bonthronebikes suggests that getting the existing pedal off using a Tesco value 6" adjustable spanner and harsh language will be both quicker and easier.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #36 on: 20 February, 2012, 08:09:19 pm »
Alternatively could you substitute the pedal spanner in Feanor's pic with a large set of mole grips done up bastard-tight on the pedal axle?

Sadly, that won't work.

Firstly, you won't fit mole-grips in the space: they are too wide, unless you dismantle the pedal to leave just the axle remaining.
Secondly, mole grips even on their tightest setting are no match for this job.  They would just slip.

If I had to deal with this, and the 15mm flats were fully rounded, then I'd remove the crank, strip the pedal fully, leaving only the axle.   Then we need to figure how to get huge torque on the axle, along with heat.   Mole grips won't cut it.   I'd be inclined to use an ANGLE GRINDER to make flats on either side of the axle, so it could be gripped in a big well-secured engineering vice, and then use a big F-Off extenstion-tube on the crank, which I'd wrap in rags to prevent the tube from damaging the crank.

« Reply #37 on: 20 February, 2012, 08:13:36 pm »
Last time I had a tough one (totally dry thread and rusted to boot) I used penetrating oil followed by application of foot to spanner. Time before that I was getting nowhere but I was lucky in that the angle between the spanner and crankarm was pretty small. Used a G-clamp to bring the two together gradually (with some wooden shims to protect the crank).

« Reply #38 on: 20 February, 2012, 08:21:12 pm »
When you do finally get it off, run a tap through the crank to clear the thread. Grease the pedal before replacing.

« Reply #39 on: 20 February, 2012, 08:27:21 pm »
This is at the stage where I would consider removing/destroying the rest of the pedal to get access to the axle; then welding a suitable bar to it to grip it and going with that. Usually the heat of the welding combined with the solid lever will do the trick but it's a bit extreme and not everyone has access to the machinery (and yes you need to take the crank off the bike!).
When fitting your new pedals just remember to grease the threads properly so that they will come out when you want, avoiding all of the above hassle.
Crossposted with loadsabikes with whom I agree completely :)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #40 on: 20 February, 2012, 08:31:17 pm »
Cudz - I have the large size professional Park pedal spanner here with a mahoosive handle, and a large rubber hammer.  That normally does the trick.  If you fancy a quick visit to the bwncwr (not actually all that far from the bridge) then you'd be very welcome.
Thanks for the offer. I have a sneaking suspicion I might even have ridden through your village/small town on a previous occasion! There are two Bristolian options I'm taking up first, if they both fail I'll be in touch.  :thumbsup:

I have to say this forum is full of jolly hospitable and helpful people.  :)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 20 February, 2012, 08:35:43 pm »
When you do finally get it off, run a tap through the crank to clear the thread. Grease the pedal before replacing.
Is it recommended to take them off every so often - couple of years maybe? - to regrease them? Mine have been untouched since the bike was new 13 years ago and I don't think the LBS that sold it had the greatest mechanics.

Removing stubborn pedals
« Reply #42 on: 20 February, 2012, 08:40:19 pm »
If your successful and want to run a tap through to clean up the thread let me know. Have a set here in Bristol up the Glos rd

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #43 on: 20 February, 2012, 09:07:39 pm »
I am thinking that instead of going to the pub from time to time we should go to this workshop in hamilton house and do a maintenance session. That could be a rather fun evening!
Chief cat entertainer.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 20 February, 2012, 09:10:56 pm »
I've been there once. It runs every Thursday evening from about 7:30 till 9 or 10. They're pretty helpful but it's a popular thing, I think if we all turned up at once there would be no room for anyone else! Though they do run daytime courses as well.

« Reply #45 on: 20 February, 2012, 09:15:01 pm »
I am thinking that instead of going to the pub from time to time we should go to this workshop in hamilton house and do a maintenance session. That could be a rather fun evening!

Or do that and then retire to the pub?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #46 on: 20 February, 2012, 09:35:06 pm »
Or we could even ride our workshop-fettled steeds to a nice country pub, maybe the Ring Of Bells in Hinton Blewitt...  ;)

I've realised I really need n+1 in order to have some transport while my bike is mid-fettle and to be able to get to all the places where the bits and facilities I need to do the fettling are! Technically I already have another bike, but that's have as in own, not possess...

« Reply #47 on: 20 February, 2012, 09:56:26 pm »
You are welcome to attend a fettle-fest in mai lounge any evening, I am tooled up and have beer and a coffee machine  :D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #48 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:02:00 pm »
I don't think I know the Mai Lounge, is that one of the trendy new places on Park St?  :)

« Reply #49 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:03:27 pm »
I don't think I know the Mai Lounge, is that one of the trendy new places on Park St?  :)

As an aside. I felt so old on Sat night at the Red Bull Hill Chasers on Park St. All the bars have changed and appeared too noisy and too dark.

I fear I'm getting old.