Author Topic: Travel insurance - just the medical bit.  (Read 667 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Travel insurance - just the medical bit.
« on: 10 April, 2024, 07:39:58 pm »
Does anyone know of a company that offers travel insurance - but just the medical bit . . . I don't want luggage/cancellation or any of that stuff.

I'm going on a 10 day cycle trip in France - made my own ferry/hotel bookings etc - and I'm willing to risk luggage and the bike myself.  All I want is medical cover (and I have a GHIC that covers A&E type stuff) for treatment and repatriation if necessary.

As a 77 (or I will be in June) year-old with atrial fibrillation (medication for about 20 years, no issues) and having had bladder cancer (radical cystectomy 9.5 years ago, no issues since) - but fairly fit -  I'm being quoted anything between £110 and £450 ...

Re: Travel insurance - just the medical bit.
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2024, 08:06:16 pm »
Try Insure and go - Although I suspect they'll penalise/refuse you on account of your age.

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2024, 08:11:35 pm »
I have no idea, but I imagine the cancellation and theft stuff is pennies out of the total.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2024, 08:15:00 pm »
My parents used the packaged ‘free’ insurance with their NatWest current account.
Paid an ‘age & pre-existing medical condititions’ supplement of £75 per year.

I used the same (RBS which is the same group) for my last trip abroad.

They don’t do single trip so you might get cheaper elsewhere.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2024, 09:47:22 pm »
Last time I bought travel insurance I used the CTC's offering, on the basis they wouldn't consider cycle touring to be an extreme sport.  YMMV with the pre-existing medical stuff, though.

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2024, 09:53:54 pm »
Try Insure and go - Although I suspect they'll penalise/refuse you on account of your age.

That was the amazingly expensive one!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2024, 10:03:09 pm »
As someone who tickles the 'medical bit' boxes, I'm going to say that the other stuffs you want to drop are totally irrelevant.

The only things that are going to count are the medical issues, and they will exclude pre-existing conditions.

Probably not the answer you wanted, sorry...

« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2024, 10:09:06 pm »
Agreed that the medical side will be the bulk of the cost ...

We got  what seemed a good price on an annual policy, declaring a decent range of pre-existing conditions, from https://www.insurefor.com/

They say their maximum age for single-trip cover is 84.

(No claims experience, but the underwriter for our policy is AXA.)

« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2024, 07:55:53 am »

The only things that are going to count are the medical issues, and they will exclude pre-existing conditions.

Depends on the issue - my wife's bi-polar can be (and is) covered on our insurance - at a cost - with StaySure.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2024, 02:47:17 pm »
After further consultation with meerkats, opera singers and a supermarket* (money variety) I found £83 as being the cheapest from a known company - luggage/cancellation cover is minimal but medical with the declared conditions covers the usual £15million or so.

*another supermarket, TESCO, by chance sent me a Clubcard "Offer" yesterday for, among other things, travel cover . . .  £436 for 10 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2024, 09:47:31 am »
My parents used the packaged ‘free’ insurance with their NatWest current account.

I use my bank account travel insurance.  I have to pay c. £130 additional to cover the my various conditions - but that's cheaper than anything I could find on the open market.

I did have to claim for a cancelled holiday.  They paid out in full - no quibbles.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2024, 10:55:56 am »
We were very happy with the bundled insurance from our bank - and a couple of claims were paid without quibble.
We included Mrs M's preexisting conditions for an extra payment.
When she had her 'Drowning & Heart Attack' episode involving a 10 day stay in a Spanish hospital it all went very Pete Tong.
They eventually paid up and we had a (really good) medical repatriation and once home they cancelled the policy (telling us we were uninsurable with them). Another British couple in the same hospital had a similar experience once they got home from a different bank.

We've now got better cover for a similar cost through {hang on, it's convoluted} the Civil Service Insurance Society who offer a policy to NHS Retirement Fellowship members - with almost all pre-existing conditions covered as long as you are fit to travel both when you book the holiday and when you leave home.
I believe they also work through the Women's Institute.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

robgul

« Reply #12 on: 15 April, 2024, 11:28:04 am »

I use my bank account travel insurance.  I have to pay c. £130 additional to cover the my various conditions - but that's cheaper than anything I could find on the open market.

I did have to claim for a cancelled holiday.  They paid out in full - no quibbles.

Both of the banks I have accounts with that had insurance packages have ceased them (or rather they are no longer realistically priced for my banking needs)   I used to have an AMEX Platinum card but that too become too costly, and more and more places seem not take AMEX because of the fee levels.