Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462569 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #14650 on: 09 December, 2013, 11:13:50 pm »
Just riding home and twat in a white audi decides to take me with him as he turns left. OK, it was the way I was going but the smokers outside the pub on the corner were left in no uncertain terms as to my opinion. Their cigarette smoke may have appeared a little bluer for a while.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #14651 on: 09 December, 2013, 11:35:08 pm »
I muttered (clearly too loudly) ' well done, you've nearly got lights on' having at the last moment distinguished his feeble flasher from the background of car and street lights.

If I can be arsed saying anything, I find "you know your light's really hard to see" relieves my frustration while allowing the ninja to believe I was trying to be helpful.

(Your one was clearly a dick though.)

« Reply #14652 on: 10 December, 2013, 07:24:00 am »
I muttered (clearly too loudly) ' well done, you've nearly got lights on' having at the last moment distinguished his feeble flasher from the background of car and street lights.

If I can be arsed saying anything, I find "you know your light's really hard to see" relieves my frustration while allowing the ninja to believe I was trying to be helpful.

(Your one was clearly a dick though.)

Or perhaps suggest to them that their batteries are low. If they are using rechargeables they can go from bright to dim quite quickly.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #14653 on: 10 December, 2013, 07:45:56 am »
I discovered there are two Christchurch Schools in Lambeth. Of course I found this out at the one furthest from me, when I needed to be at the nearer one.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #14654 on: 10 December, 2013, 07:54:16 am »
Freezing fog :sick:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #14655 on: 10 December, 2013, 09:00:35 am »
Freezing fog :sick:

Which was very unpleasant already, but doubly so when it stuck to my glasses so I was double-fogged  ???

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #14656 on: 10 December, 2013, 09:16:14 am »
Was a little chilly this morning, the fog was a surprise. Not enjoying the traffic on my route either, it has been very crappy for the past couple of weeks since I came back from holiday.

« Reply #14657 on: 10 December, 2013, 10:29:13 am »
I've seen a new (to me at least) way of taking your small child to school on a bike: get it to put its arms round your neck and clasp its hands together, and then ride off down the Old Kent Road with the kid hanging down your back.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14658 on: 10 December, 2013, 12:27:41 pm »
I don't think I've seen that one! I have seen a (very small) child clutched to their father's chest while he rode one-handed.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #14659 on: 10 December, 2013, 03:21:04 pm »
twat in a white audi

tautology, surely?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #14660 on: 10 December, 2013, 07:53:57 pm »
twat in a white audi

tautology, surely?

Twat! You heard: where it should be white, lacking "Vorsprung", and unspecified "Technik". Goes without saying? (9)
Not especially helpful or mature

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #14661 on: 11 December, 2013, 08:21:47 am »
Foggy again. At least ir wasn't freezing this time.

What on earth was the dustman up to, running around in the middle of the road like that? ???
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

fuzzy

« Reply #14662 on: 11 December, 2013, 08:30:00 am »
Well, that was interesting :thumbsup:

After about 300 yards I decided to pocket my glasses as they were fogging up worse than the air.

Once I left the comfort of street lit roads, it was like riding through cotton wool. I know the roads well but, at times, I wondered if I was still on the same planet.

Very spooky  :)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14663 on: 11 December, 2013, 08:55:45 am »
Gosh that was foggy.
Same as Fuzzy, although my eyesight is rather poor, I could see more without my glasses than with.

Amazed to see a couple of cars with no lights on.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #14664 on: 11 December, 2013, 09:25:23 am »
Yes, I've noticed that in the last couple of days - given the cars involved, I suspect that they were auto lights which, of course, only assess light levels, not visibility.

« Reply #14665 on: 11 December, 2013, 10:44:04 am »
I'm the same in the fog.  Fortunately my commute from home to the station is alongside a small river, on a slightly bumpy towpath, for which I have very good lights (the path is completely unlit).  It seems to attract the fog in.  After a short time, I had to perch my glasses towards the end of my nose and look over them.  I could see enough to the end of the beam of light to get by.

simonp

« Reply #14666 on: 11 December, 2013, 10:57:14 am »
On my motorbike, I rapidly found I couldn't see very well, and trying to wipe the droplets off the visor only made it worse. So I spent most of the journey with the visor wide open, which made my face hurt due to the cold. Fortunately, I was wearing contacts, otherwise this wouldn't have helped.

« Reply #14667 on: 11 December, 2013, 11:39:56 am »
Much warmer up north. Last 2 commutes its been >11C and I've been over dreseed.

citoyen

« Reply #14668 on: 11 December, 2013, 12:25:44 pm »
Nearly taken out by a tank commander this morning, peering through the letterbox-sized de-iced patch on his windscreen. He was coming towards me on the other side of the road, so far so good, but then pulled out round a parked car, straight into my path, and had to swerve when he finally noticed me at the last moment. Fucking moron.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #14669 on: 11 December, 2013, 12:34:44 pm »
I've changed my route into work this week after "very" nearly getting squished at this island again (4th time in 12mth) http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=422284&Y=301374&A=Y&Z=115

The new route is a bit further & starts with a long drag but there's only one iffy island that I hit with traffic coming from the left  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #14670 on: 11 December, 2013, 05:50:23 pm »
Damn roadie overtook me as I was delayed at roundabout - he wasn't delayed as he got a break in the traffic whilst I was heaving the Pashley off the line from a standstill.

His air of smugness vanished when I overtook him tho. And on a hill too!  8)

Have to admit I was glad he turned off a short while later as I was just gasping for breath...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Phil W

« Reply #14671 on: 11 December, 2013, 06:58:33 pm »
Well, that was interesting :thumbsup:

After about 300 yards I decided to pocket my glasses as they were fogging up worse than the air.

Once I left the comfort of street lit roads, it was like riding through cotton wool. I know the roads well but, at times, I wondered if I was still on the same planet.

Very spooky  :)

Sums up my morning commute but glasses came off after a mile

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #14672 on: 12 December, 2013, 03:22:02 pm »
S**t I have learnt on last night's commute:

1 - Jeans make a really bad lubricant for fixed wheel bicycle's drivetrains
2 - Experimenting with cotton based lubrication is best done at very low speeds. I am thankful my experimentation was all conducted as I pushed off from some lights.
3 - Cotton based lubrication works reasonably well for approximately 1/4 revolution of the cranks. It then stops working so well and starts hurting really rather a lot as it drags your ankle along with it.
4 - I need some new jeans

Very sore leg this morning.  The jeans were rolled up, just not quite far enough it seems! 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

citoyen

« Reply #14673 on: 12 December, 2013, 03:35:38 pm »
Looked out the window this morning and first thought was that it had been snowing. Turned out it was actually just a particularly heavy frost. Still, good enough reason to take it very carefully at certain points on my route to the station.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #14674 on: 12 December, 2013, 04:07:49 pm »
S**t I have learnt on last night's commute:

1 - Jeans make a really bad lubricant for fixed wheel bicycle's drivetrains
2 - Experimenting with cotton based lubrication is best done at very low speeds. I am thankful my experimentation was all conducted as I pushed off from some lights.
3 - Cotton based lubrication works reasonably well for approximately 1/4 revolution of the cranks. It then stops working so well and starts hurting really rather a lot as it drags your ankle along with it.
4 - I need some new jeans

Very sore leg this morning.  The jeans were rolled up, just not quite far enough it seems!

Have you moved to Hoxton, then?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?