Author Topic: Modern netbook  (Read 1368 times)

Modern netbook
« on: 30 November, 2020, 12:36:17 pm »
I'm looking for a laptop (pref 2nd hand) with a very specific spec which is actually quite low by modern standards, basically I'm looking for a Samsung netbook with more memory and USB 3:

RAM memory 4GB or more (removable)
USB 3.0 ports, 3 at least
matte screen
max 1.2kg with removable battery
10 inch/250mm screen
Upgradable/removable hard drive/SSD
CPU minimum duo core 2GHz
3.5mm audio jack
SD card port
Able to have Linux installed on it.

Not looking for:
touch screen
2 in 1 laptop/tablet combo
Chromebook
playing games

Afasoas

Re: Modern netbook
« Reply #1 on: 02 December, 2020, 06:59:02 pm »
Contenders I can find that come close are:

* Lenovo IdeaPad 1
* Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 3
* ASUS 11.6 inch VivoBook

Not sure these even come close to you specification though as they are a tiny bit bigger and probably don't have the ports. They almost certainly don't have removable batteries.
There are a few chromebooks and lots of Android 'Laptops' around.

And some 6" and 7" laptops too like the GPD Micro PC.

« Reply #2 on: 08 December, 2020, 02:35:41 pm »
Thanks.

I had a quick look at what's available new. The small laptops with 10-11in screens tend to have a very small, eg 64GB or even 32GB, soldered in storage (eMMC) instead of a hard disk/SSD.

A matte screen narrows down the choice drastically anyway, most specs or reviews don't even mention whether the laptop has a matte or glossy screen.

« Reply #3 on: 08 December, 2020, 04:52:22 pm »
Modern "glossy" screens are so much better at reducing reflections than the early ones that most people no longer care.

I think your spec list is pretty ambitious given the last decade's trends in laptop design.

« Reply #4 on: 08 December, 2020, 05:55:49 pm »
I'd prefer to have no reflections at all. Laptops have been getting thinner and thinner to the point where they're too thin have things like USB ports, hard disks, removable batteries etc.

Which is why I'm looking at older laptops and don't expect any current ones to meet my list. I've found this:
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E130 from 2012!
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-ThinkPad-Edge-E130-NZU5FGE-Subnotebook.82831.0.html

It's a bit bigger at 1.5kg and has a 11.6in screen but seems to tick all the rest.

« Reply #5 on: 08 December, 2020, 09:20:48 pm »
Having been looking around before getting my new one and with an essentially similar brief (I wasn't worried about screen size to the same extent but weight was a factor as was the USB ports) I came to the conclusion that to have the ports you need to have a 15" screen and over 2kg weight (which should give you a removable battery as well). Mine only has two real USB ports plus a USB C, the battery is not removable and the screen is 14" (matt) but it does only weigh 1kg. LDLC don't distribute in UK, only in francophone Europe. It would be worth looking to see what custom suppliers (Clevo come to mind if they are still in business) could come up with.

When did real netbooks go out of production? Was it at the end of W7? Up until that point I think M$ imposed 1Gb of ram max in the licence. When Istarted looking for a replacement for my Compaq 110 there was nothing remotely comparable!

Afasoas

« Reply #6 on: 08 December, 2020, 09:51:27 pm »
Having been looking around before getting my new one and with an essentially similar brief (I wasn't worried about screen size to the same extent but weight was a factor as was the USB ports) I came to the conclusion that to have the ports you need to have a 15" screen and over 2kg weight (which should give you a removable battery as well). Mine only has two real USB ports plus a USB C, the battery is not removable and the screen is 14" (matt) but it does only weigh 1kg. LDLC don't distribute in UK, only in francophone Europe. It would be worth looking to see what custom suppliers (Clevo come to mind if they are still in business) could come up with.

When did real netbooks go out of production? Was it at the end of W7? Up until that point I think M$ imposed 1Gb of ram max in the licence. When Istarted looking for a replacement for my Compaq 110 there was nothing remotely comparable!

I must admit I miss the netbook format. It was useful to have a small go-anywhere-just-in-case-computer. Especially useful when drafted in to do network diagnostics whilst visiting family. But now we don't really go anywhere, it'd be fairly redundant.

The netbook I did have was terrible ergomically, small trackpad with buttons either side IIRC.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #7 on: 16 December, 2020, 07:44:34 pm »
I've still got one of the original Linux ones lying around somewhere. It woke up and booted just fine last time I checked. It's a shame that MS hammered anyone producing similar hardware with super cheap windows licences. They definitely saw the threat.
Everyone's favourite windbreak