Author Topic: Go-pro compilations  (Read 4213 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Go-pro compilations
« on: 01 August, 2017, 08:21:09 pm »
There's a guy who cycles a lot around Southend who is forever posting stuff to Youtube about the close passes he's had, and that sort of thing.

I've just noticed a recent offering about filtering. I can't say I endorse his traffic technique, but since a lot of the film is speeded up it's oten hard t make a judgement, but he does demonstrate the value of filtering through heavy traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUjCdO5m7U&feature=share

Anyone else have a "helmet-cam crusader" living in their area?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Go-pro compilations
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2017, 01:16:16 pm »
Yes. Magnatom lives very close to me.

« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2017, 01:27:48 pm »

Unlucky you  :facepalm:
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2017, 11:25:21 pm »

Unlucky you  :facepalm:

I'm not a fan of him either.

« Reply #4 on: 06 September, 2017, 03:02:25 am »
For me, the danger is quite reasonable with the car.

« Reply #5 on: 06 September, 2017, 09:18:12 am »
Why do people pour hate on magnatom?

I think he's great. And that isn't sarcasm.

« Reply #6 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:24:12 am »
Why do people pour hate on magnatom?

I think he's great. And that isn't sarcasm.

In my opinion he goes out to seek confrontation because it generates videos that get more hits.

I have no problem with people filming and then reporting incidents but when the person goes on to become a 'personality' based on the videos the motivation changes and then the potential educational impact is lost because a more 'minor' incident escalates beyond what may be proportional.

« Reply #7 on: 06 September, 2017, 02:13:53 pm »
In my opinion he goes out to seek confrontation because it generates videos that get more hits.

I have no problem with people filming and then reporting incidents but when the person goes on to become a 'personality' based on the videos the motivation changes and then the potential educational impact is lost because a more 'minor' incident escalates beyond what may be proportional.

From watching his videos since before the roundabout/tanker/girly-scream incident, I can't honestly think of an occasion where he has sought conflict. He definitely escalates incidents beyond what many would deem necessary or appropriate, sure, but is pretty much always reactive.

It's a bit much to lump with the tedious cam-warriors on that youtube. He's a pretty dedicated cycle campaigner and has almost certainly done far, far more good than harm.

« Reply #8 on: 06 September, 2017, 02:14:25 pm »
How do you find out if there's one near you? Is there a register? There ought to be. </daily mail>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 06 September, 2017, 02:16:41 pm »
I want to know where all the photos/video that people shoot of you when you ride a recumbent end up.

dim

« Reply #10 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:46:17 pm »
we need more people like him with cameras ..... when vehicles see and know that you have a camera, they respect you more (I ride in Cambridge through the city daily)

Someone needs to manufacture dummy gopros out of plastic that look real and that can be mounted on a helmet (for those who dont want to spend money on a real one)

and if everyone with cameras report rouge drivers, and the law prosecutes them if found at fault, cycling will be more safer/pleasurable

I have a Cycliq Fly 6 rear camera and a Garmin Virb Ultra 30 front camera ....and even with these, I have had many close passes
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #11 on: 08 September, 2017, 08:56:25 pm »
Welsh police are encouraging people to submit evidence of bad driving recorded in video or photo in Operation Snap.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-40998946

Submit link here:

https://gosafe.org/contact-us/snap/

Sounds good if it has the slightest nudge affect of the ' being  watched' affect on bad behaviour.