Author Topic: Lorry incident  (Read 3414 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Lorry incident
« Reply #25 on: 04 August, 2020, 01:06:41 pm »
Is it me, or have these overtake-the-cyclist-with-disregard-for-oncoming-traffic incidents become more frequent since the lockdown?

I've been fortunate in that they're usually driving a car.  I tend to think of HGV drivers as the sensible motorists, but I suppose there's always going to be some...

Glad you're still with us, Notsototalnewbie!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26 on: 04 August, 2020, 01:23:02 pm »
Is it me, or have these overtake-the-cyclist-with-disregard-for-oncoming-traffic incidents become more frequent since the lockdown?

I've been fortunate in that they're usually driving a car.  I tend to think of HGV drivers as the sensible motorists, but I suppose there's always going to be some...

Hard to say. By coincidence (well it is my manor after all) I was riding a few km north of where NSTN's incident occurred a few weeks ago. Out of service bus approached from behind and over took, giving us plenty of room. So much so that the Small Red Car coming the other way had to dive for the verge and wait until the bus had gone. We exchanged "WTF?" upraised hand gestures.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 04 August, 2020, 03:19:10 pm »
It's not a pleasant thing to happen, sorry to hear this, hope the memories fade

(and it's brought back memories of one of my first main road experiences)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #28 on: 05 August, 2020, 08:26:41 am »

Hard to say. By coincidence (well it is my manor after all) I was riding a few km north of where NSTN's incident occurred a few weeks ago. Out of service bus approached from behind and over took, giving us plenty of room. So much so that the Small Red Car coming the other way had to dive for the verge and wait until the bus had gone. We exchanged "WTF?" upraised hand gestures.

This has happened to me a couple of times.  Totally safe pass while I am on the bike but oncoming vehicle has to do emergency stop.  It is as if they can only see one thing at a time.

I cannot wait for more cars with autonomous driving.

« Reply #29 on: 05 August, 2020, 12:53:26 pm »
Got a response which is already more than I was expecting to be honest.

Good afternoon,

Apologies for the delay in replying & thank you for bringing this incident to our attention.

Our aim is to put things right as soon as we can, that’s why your complaint has now been passed to our operational teams and will be looked into further.

Apologies for any upset this incident has caused.

Regards

Tim, thanks, I will bear that in mind. Though the junction at the top of the hill (near the pub) was pretty busy in all directions with drivers very het up (lots of beeping at each other etc). Rush hour on a sunny Friday I guess. As it was we went home via East Grinstead as that allowed me to pick up the route from the place we camped last weekend which I knew was good.

Thanks for all the replies/sympathy etc, everyone. It helps. It's now dawning on me how lucky I was that the road surface at that point was good and I didn't hit a pothole or something while he was alongside me and was able to keep cycling in a straight line.

Kim, I would say that in general quite a few people seem to have forgotten how to drive during lockdown. Though in Croydon it's hard to make the distinction.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #30 on: 05 August, 2020, 02:55:28 pm »
Ooh - sounds horrible.

Got a response which is already more than I was expecting to be honest.

Good afternoon,

Apologies for the delay in replying & thank you for bringing this incident to our attention.

Our aim is to put things right as soon as we can, that’s why your complaint has now been passed to our operational teams and will be looked into further.

Apologies for any upset this incident has caused.

Regards

Good to hear you've got a response.  If you don't hear anything further, it might be worth having a word with the relevant Traffic Commissioner.  Haulage firms are more scared of them than just about anybody else...

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor