Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1604486 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12700 on: 11 November, 2020, 07:51:15 am »
My boiler is on the blink. If the hot water circuit calls the boiler it works fine, but if the heating calls it then the valves open, the pump runs but the boiler doesn't ignite. This leads to the circulation of cold water round the radiators. Therefore the only time the house gets heated is if the heating is trying to run when the hot water cylinder decides it also needs to heat up.

GAMI is booked for tomorrow but I suspect I may be investing in a new control unit which means deciding if I want to upgrade to Hive or a similar smart device.

If you do need to upgrade don't hesitate to install Hive - superb with flexible controls - switch on/off or adjust from anywhere in the world! (and get the bits from Screwfix, cheaper than from Hive/British Gas)

« Reply #12701 on: 11 November, 2020, 11:16:44 am »
My boiler is on the blink. If the hot water circuit calls the boiler it works fine, but if the heating calls it then the valves open, the pump runs but the boiler doesn't ignite. This leads to the circulation of cold water round the radiators. Therefore the only time the house gets heated is if the heating is trying to run when the hot water cylinder decides it also needs to heat up.

GAMI is booked for tomorrow but I suspect I may be investing in a new control unit which means deciding if I want to upgrade to Hive or a similar smart device.

If you do need to upgrade don't hesitate to install Hive - superb with flexible controls - switch on/off or adjust from anywhere in the world! (and get the bits from Screwfix, cheaper than from Hive/British Gas)

Turned out to be a simple fix. See the div thread. So no need to invest in an upgrade yet though I think that may follow in the summer.

« Reply #12702 on: 14 November, 2020, 12:14:01 am »
If manufacturers/suppliers could have the correct information on their products that'd be just great. That way the spokes I bought would have fit.

And if Amazon could have their order deadlines match up with reality that'd be great too. Deciding that as there are three hours left to order to get Saturday delivery I'll have dinner and then finding when I get back to the computer two hours later that I can now only get Sunday delivery was not super benificial to my mood.

And given the mismatch between what I saw on the wheel and what the updated calculators say I've ordered a new box of spokes that may or may not be the right size anyway.

Tempted to give up this cycling nonsense.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12703 on: 14 November, 2020, 09:46:35 am »
Poxy phone has died by the favourite method of a b0rked USB charging socket.  No amount of wiggling will bring it back to life. Bah. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #12704 on: 14 November, 2020, 09:52:24 am »
Poke around inside the port with a pin or similar and see if it is filled with fluff and skin and stuff?
It is simpler than it looks.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12705 on: 14 November, 2020, 10:31:59 am »
Done that and blasted it with air from my camera puffer. However by Thee Magick of YouTube I see it's a plug in module. New module £2.99, ordered. Dry run suggests MTTR 10 minutes even with these stubby peasant fingers.  Let's hope that was the issue.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12706 on: 14 November, 2020, 11:12:57 pm »
Something's in here's been making a funny noise.  At first I assumed it was rain, but there isn't any.  Then I thought maybe it was a wire intermittently catching in one of the computer fans, but it stopped as I moved around the room to determine which.  Then it started up again, with the distinctive bursty pattern of GSM transmission being picked up by an audio amplifier.  This served as a Clue, so I started listening to all the things that had speakers and/or cellular radios in them.  I was closing in on barakta's Screenphone (which has droid rot, and is therefore a prime suspect in such things), when I located the source of the signal...

(click to show/hide)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12707 on: 14 November, 2020, 11:38:08 pm »
Yeah mine does that. In a nod to H&S since WFH I've been taking my tea up the loft ladder in a flask. It also has a habit of emitting almost ultrasonic noises mid meeting until I suss what it is and depress the drink button.

Also, if I do that out of hours when I'm downstairs with a kitteh on my lap she runs away because the pressure release sounds like a hiss.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12708 on: 15 November, 2020, 09:32:26 am »
Even though the Law allows us to make noise until noon on a Sunday, in the villages of N. Alsace the custom is no noise all day.  This makes it easier to hear the teenagers on mopeds and Porschey Pig next door firing up his penis substitute.  Running a dust extractor & table saw, though? Tut tut.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12709 on: 15 November, 2020, 11:20:29 am »
Yeah mine does that. In a nod to H&S since WFH I've been taking my tea up the loft ladder in a flask. It also has a habit of emitting almost ultrasonic noises mid meeting until I suss what it is and depress the drink button.

Also, if I do that out of hours when I'm downstairs with a kitteh on my lap she runs away because the pressure release sounds like a hiss.

Had that with a water bottle filled shortly before gaining 2800 metres of altitude.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12710 on: 15 November, 2020, 11:40:25 am »
Even though the Law allows us to make noise until noon on a Sunday, in the villages of N. Alsace the custom is no noise all day.  This makes it easier to hear the teenagers on mopeds and Porschey Pig next door firing up his penis substitute.  Running a dust extractor & table saw, though? Tut tut.

See, that's a classic example of a law that's the wrong way round.  If I were in charge it would be no noise until after noon on Sunday.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12711 on: 15 November, 2020, 12:52:12 pm »
I suppose they have to allow the church bells to make a racket in the morning...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12712 on: 15 November, 2020, 01:20:39 pm »
I suppose they have to allow the church bells to make a racket in the morning...

They can have subtitles.

« Reply #12713 on: 15 November, 2020, 03:34:56 pm »
I really really dislike the dark evenings (soon to be dark afternoons) that result from clocks being put back to GMT. I wonder if the EU will finally ratify the stopping of “daylight saving” clock changes, and whether the UK will follow suit? I’d be really pissed off if we did, and settled on permanent GMT  :-\.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12714 on: 15 November, 2020, 03:43:55 pm »
I really really dislike the dark evenings (soon to be dark afternoons) that result from clocks being put back to GMT. I wonder if the EU will finally ratify the stopping of “daylight saving” clock changes, and whether the UK will follow suit? I’d be really pissed off if we did, and settled on permanent GMT  :-\.

God no!  Let's have clocks that tell you what the actual time is, and do things that are affected by sunlight at an appropriate time of day.

(I'd even go so far as to say that everyone's clocks should display UTC and we could get rid of timezones, but I suspect the counter-argument that the effort saved in fudging clocks would be traded off against the effort required to work out what time they go to work in ABROAD, in spite of us already having to do that under the current system.)

« Reply #12715 on: 15 November, 2020, 05:52:19 pm »
God no!  Let's have clocks that tell you what the actual time is, and do things that are affected by sunlight at an appropriate time of day.

That sounds like an astoundingly good idea.

Though it doesn't really matter if you choose GMT or UTC+1 as your baseline, just keep it constant. It's not like GMT is actual time even at the prime meridian, it's only the actual time a few days of the year, as the M implies.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12716 on: 15 November, 2020, 05:55:11 pm »
We've done pretty well getting (or forcing?) the whole world to adopt a 24-hour day and a 7-day week, let's not push it too far.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12717 on: 15 November, 2020, 06:18:45 pm »
tzdata, tzdata, gives you an excuse for getting up later... ♫

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12718 on: 15 November, 2020, 06:20:07 pm »
It isn't over till the fat lady robotic voice sings.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #12719 on: 15 November, 2020, 08:14:07 pm »
Done that and blasted it with air from my camera puffer. However by Thee Magick of YouTube I see it's a plug in module. New module £2.99, ordered. Dry run suggests MTTR 10 minutes even with these stubby peasant fingers.  Let's hope that was the issue.
I have a similar problem.
How do I find out if mine is repairable etc. - do a search under the model no. and so on?
Though I am leaning towards GAMI as my tiny screwdrivers mayn't be that tiny.  otoh man suggests £35-55 for his efforts.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12720 on: 15 November, 2020, 10:58:03 pm »
I have a similar problem.
How do I find out if mine is repairable etc. - do a search under the model no. and so on?
Though I am leaning towards GAMI as my tiny screwdrivers mayn't be that tiny.  otoh man suggests £35-55 for his efforts.
Yes, I searched on Moto G5 charge socket. Just 8 teeny screws and a plug in tiny cable, no soldering, no hot glue, not even a spudger.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12721 on: 16 November, 2020, 08:51:05 am »
We've done pretty well getting (or forcing?) the whole world to adopt a 24-hour day and a 7-day week, let's not push it too far.

The hours are ancient Egyptian and the week is Babylonian, so who's "we"?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12722 on: 16 November, 2020, 10:36:51 am »

"We" are the heirs of the Ancient Mediterranean world, mostly via Greece and Rome, who have spread these systems along with the Gregorian calendar around the globe. Mostly I suppose it's down to three centuries of European colonisation.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12723 on: 16 November, 2020, 01:34:17 pm »

"We" are the heirs of the Ancient Mediterranean world, mostly via Greece and Rome, who have spread these systems along with the Gregorian calendar around the globe. Mostly I suppose it's down to three centuries of European colonisation.

Pretty well, I suppose, although the 7-day week was a fixture in the west by the time Genesis was written.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12724 on: 23 November, 2020, 07:33:56 pm »
My running shoes are still in good condition but just looking... and that throws up all sorts of other 'suggested searches' such as 'Is it ok to walk in running shoes?'
Is it OK to walk in running shoes?
In general, running shoes have more cushioning in the heel and forefoot. ... You don't necessarily need this in walking shoes. Just as it's vital that you wear the right shoes for running, it's important to wear the correct shoes for walking. The right shoes can help prevent injury and make walking more enjoyable.

And 'Is it bad to walk in running shoes?'
Is it bad to walk in running shoes?
Walking in a running shoe, which often has less cushion, could lead to impact injuries like plantar fasciitis, stress fractures, and Achilles tendinitis.

So it's not ok to walk in running shoes, because they have more cushioning. And it's bad to walk in running shoes, because they have less cushioning. Isn't the internet full of shit?