Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1615798 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12775 on: 15 December, 2020, 05:09:14 pm »
Had the boiler annual service booked for today, and we'd agreed on late morning.

The gasman cometh not. So far...

I think I saw that film on a dodgy late night channel.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #12776 on: 15 December, 2020, 05:13:45 pm »
I was thinking more of Flanders and Swann, TBH. ;D

Fortunately, he turned up and didn't make more work for the working man to do...

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #12777 on: 15 December, 2020, 05:28:11 pm »
Our boiler service, originally booked for Sept. has been postponed (on the due day) twice.  They're now talking about January.  Aye, right.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12778 on: 16 December, 2020, 09:35:14 am »
Ok rain. The river's full.  You can stop now.

Please.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12779 on: 17 December, 2020, 09:38:48 am »
Just spent ¾ hour wading through the French P.O.'s sluggish, badly-designed (or well-designed with evil intentions) website to send three parcels. The post office is just over the road from us but they're all "no no no you do it on line these days can't you read aren't you awake you old fart?" since the plague arrived.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12780 on: 17 December, 2020, 10:30:13 am »
Sounds similar to the Royal Mail website. Takes much effort to find a price list in the depths.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12781 on: 17 December, 2020, 12:10:13 pm »
I think it's the same people who do university websites.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #12782 on: 17 December, 2020, 03:45:58 pm »

Please.
Well we don't want it, both of ours are full too.  The Vyrnwy and the Banwy.  The Banwy is very bad mannered and is prone to attacking our railway, and throwing unwanted trees at our two span steel viaduct, (which it seems I'm the trustee responsible for, ulp...).  Luckily the beautiful 6 arch stone viaduct only has a squitty little stream flowing under it.
Wombat

« Reply #12783 on: 17 December, 2020, 03:52:59 pm »
Ah I'll take some more rain next week. Last year around New year's  I had great fun canoeing around the flood plain resolutely staying away from the actual river

« Reply #12784 on: 17 December, 2020, 04:31:50 pm »
Ah I'll take some more rain next week. Last year around New year's  I had great fun canoeing around the flood plain resolutely staying away from the actual river
You can have ours! I went to an outdoor carol service last night and wasn't sure I was going to get home. The ground round here is reaching saturation point, which is where it will probably stay until Easter.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #12785 on: 18 December, 2020, 08:48:23 pm »

Please.

Feck. Latest tweet from the depth gauge.

On 18/12/20 at 19:15 the river level was 3.05m and above its typical range. https://t.co/XK3TFB7wrx

« Reply #12786 on: 19 December, 2020, 11:10:07 am »

Please.

Feck. Latest tweet from the depth gauge.

On 18/12/20 at 19:15 the river level was 3.05m and above its typical range. https://t.co/XK3TFB7wrx

Falling now, it seems.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #12787 on: 19 December, 2020, 11:10:41 am »
On Thursday night, as we were getting into bed, MrsC mentions that there seems to be some paper coming off the ceiling directly above her. It's been like that for a while1. I climb on the bed and check--it's damp. Bother.
First thing Friday morning, up into the loft. We have a lot of stuff up there. It's a sort of study, or it was when MrsC was doing her professional qualifications, so the header tank is blocked off by a partial wall in front of which is an Ikea desk/shelving unit. I manage to clear enough stuff to be able to see into the space. There is water coming out of the party wall. No idea how it's getting in there. So we need to phone our tame roofing chap. Not sure why we didn't do that yesterday, but...
Last night, we are going to bed. I get into the room first and there is now a steady drip onto MrsC's pillow. Cue swift re-arrangement of WFH space to spare bedroom, finding of bowls to catch water and so on. Sigh.
The roofer can pop round tomorrow to have a look, but is really busy. Funnily enough with this rain we are not the only people to have discovered a leak.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #12788 on: 19 December, 2020, 11:45:13 am »
Falling now, it seems.

Yes it is, thankfully.  It came within a door step of the houses that were inundated a couple of years ago.
Park, cricket and football fields are currently under water, but that's the flood plain doing its job.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12789 on: 19 December, 2020, 03:04:50 pm »
Boiler replaced yesterday, not measured properly. New one comes 6" lower than the old one, and now only just clears my desk. Now rather than having a space for my working papers, and camera, I can just fit my power supplies and docking station.

More annoyingly, the installation engineers left my desk in a mess, and did not seal around the flue and condenser outlet.

Even more annoyingly, the boiler ignition cycle is not quite right and it keeps faulting.  Someone looked at it this morning and adjusted the ignitor (looks like a spark plug) as it looked both bent and had the wrong gap. Its still not working and they're now saying its a warranty issue. Manufacturers will not even put it in their system until Monday.

I'm sure I questioned the wisdom of replacing a boiler the week before Christmas,  but do you think I'm going to say "i told you so"?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

TheLurker

« Reply #12790 on: 19 December, 2020, 03:08:58 pm »
Quote from: ElyDave
I'm sure I questioned the wisdom of replacing a boiler the week before Christmas,  but do you think I'm going to say "i told you so"?
Only if you want to spend Xmas in the shed.  :)

Chris S

« Reply #12791 on: 19 December, 2020, 05:08:27 pm »
Falling now, it seems.

Yes it is, thankfully.  It came within a door step of the houses that were inundated a couple of years ago.
Park, cricket and football fields are currently under water, but that's the flood plain doing its job.

You probably shouldn't watch the forecast then  :facepalm:.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #12792 on: 19 December, 2020, 10:12:31 pm »
Falling now, it seems.

You probably shouldn't watch the forecast then  :facepalm:.

:(

ian

« Reply #12793 on: 21 December, 2020, 12:54:02 pm »
I'm working through Christmas eve. My wife is done from the year. This means she's texting me approximately every 2.5 seconds. And then emailing me. And it's cryptic.

Takeout roast dinner. Two courses.

Right now? I have no idea.

ElyDave

« Reply #12794 on: 21 December, 2020, 03:09:39 pm »
Bad board on the boiler replaced today, hopefully that's  an end to cycling the start up sequence about ten times in a row every few hours

ElyDave

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #12796 on: 22 December, 2020, 07:42:38 am »
Is your objection to the article or its subject?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End

TheLurker

« Reply #12798 on: 22 December, 2020, 08:33:00 am »
Quote from: ElyDave
There is just so much wrong with this..

Seemed like a reasonable, non-technical, summary of programmes that are still subject to a great deal of information hiding to me.   What irritated you about it?

ElyDave

« Reply #12799 on: 22 December, 2020, 08:34:53 am »
Is your objection to the article or its subject?

The content, the writing, "breathing 100% oxygen", just generally irksome

Every other article I've read says pure oxygen on the ground pre-flight, the BBC article implies 100% all the time, talks about modular plug and play equipment while showing a picture of something that looks like an integral part of the wing's construction.  Yes, details will be secret, but there just seems to be a lack of rigour in some of these articles.

And yes, no mention of Gary Powers, Critical 60's/70's missions, UK involvement...