Author Topic: Every inch matters  (Read 1685 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Every inch matters
« on: 17 May, 2010, 11:41:31 pm »
The latest 1 inch I've taken off the trike has made all the difference. It fits, it's faast and it handles! Went out after would for a few miles and my god I love it again. Phew. *Grin*
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Re: Every inch matters
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2010, 11:49:59 pm »
In boom length do you mean ?
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2010, 11:57:21 pm »
Aye
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #3 on: 18 May, 2010, 12:05:47 am »
We found that even a tiny amount can make one hell of a difference, Barbara had knees killing her, adjusted boom by 1cm - solved
                                                           ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #4 on: 18 May, 2010, 08:55:37 am »
Any clues as to how to figure out the perfect boom length when there is no (real *) knee trouble?

With an upright I went by: Hurts on top of knee: Seat too low, hurts in the back of knee (and probably achilles): Seat to high. Somehow this does not really work for bents or at least not for someone like me who is still getting used to riding bent, because if it hurts, it hurts everywhere.  :'(

* nothing that would no cease after a hot bath and some stretching and massage

« Reply #5 on: 18 May, 2010, 09:10:24 am »
I used it for commuting, every day moved the boom out by 2-3mm or so, until it felt too long.  Keep going until it's really definitely too far, rather than just not quite right.  Then move it back in by a bit.

I found the feedback of front/back pain on the knee does work, but there's so much lag you have to do some miles in each position to check by moving it really gradually like above. 

When I found the "too long" and "too short" pains overlapped, I switched to short cranks.  Then begin adjusting boom length again...  :)

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2010, 09:32:52 am »
My issue with finding the ideal boom length is that my position on the 'bent at the start of a ride is very different from my position at the end. By the time I've slumped down in the seat another inch, all measurements are off by the same amount. I've left my boom over length now, as short rides aren't long enough to bring on any discomfort, and half way into a long ride, I'm in the right position. :) 
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

« Reply #7 on: 18 May, 2010, 04:21:25 pm »
I've left my boom over length now, as short rides aren't long enough to bring on any discomfort, and half way into a long ride, I'm in the right position. :) 
Sounds like a plan. I'll go with that and slump or stretch as needed. ;)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #8 on: 19 May, 2010, 05:24:44 pm »
As above - my position in the seat varies a lot.  I tend to run with shorter booms though as I like to be able to push hard into the back of the seat. and keep mu foot perpendicular throughout the stroke. Also I have this idea that only a little boom length adds a lot of noodle flex.
As a result I reckon I have cut all my booms too short!
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird