Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856683 times)

LEE

Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #1900 on: 19 January, 2012, 11:20:32 am »
Well I will now be cracking out that little fact about Tescos whereever I go.

I cannot STAND bad grammer - there/their/they're particularly makes me want to take a big pen to it, or just to the face of whoever wrote it...

Are you being deliberately ironic with this post ?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1901 on: 19 January, 2012, 11:25:19 am »
This thread affects quite an effect on the readers thereof. The affect/effect distinction seems to pass many by.

You can effect a change. You can affect a change. You can change an effect but you cannot change an affect. Affect is never a noun.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1902 on: 19 January, 2012, 11:32:33 am »
Affect can be a noun, meaning "the conscious subjective aspect of an emotion considered apart from bodily changes; also : a set of observable manifestations of a subjectively experienced emotion <patients … showed perfectly normal reactions and affects — Oliver Sacks>"
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/affect
You could say an affect is the effect of something that affects you.  :)

Pedal vs peddle is the mix up that annoys me.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1903 on: 19 January, 2012, 01:03:52 pm »
This thread affects quite an effect on the readers thereof. The affect/effect distinction seems to pass many by.

You can effect a change. You can affect a change. You can change an effect but you cannot change an affect. Affect is never a noun.
Affect is very frequently a noun in psychiatry, where depressed patients might be described as having a flattened affect.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1905 on: 19 January, 2012, 01:48:25 pm »
http://ventolin.org/2012/01/grammer_man-who-the-fuck-is-this-nigga-and-why-u-comin-at-me-like-that-hoeassnigga/

Superb!

(If he turned off the delay - so that he could respond to every mistake on twitter - would the internet melt? Would spelling improve on twitter?!? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1907 on: 20 January, 2012, 02:53:01 pm »

It is to a psychiatrist.
"He has a depressed affect" is how the mind state and appearance of a depressed man would be described.

« Reply #1908 on: 20 January, 2012, 02:56:05 pm »
You're suggesting a whole sub-tribe of intelligent educated professionals have absorbed some poor grammar and they are now actively promoting it?  ;D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1909 on: 20 January, 2012, 04:11:58 pm »
You're suggesting a whole sub-tribe of intelligent educated professionals have absorbed some poor grammar and they are now actively promoting it?  ;D
Not uncommon, sadly.

I frequently hear pseudo-intellectuals on Radio 4 using words that George Bush would be proud of, or really obscure words in place of 'become' or 'need' or 'happen'.

There are plenty of words in English, we shouldn't need to make more up (or twist their meanings) just to sound ejumakated  ::-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1910 on: 20 January, 2012, 04:22:47 pm »
But a great many technical words which need to be used for precision.
Getting there...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1911 on: 20 January, 2012, 04:29:00 pm »
"Eventuate" was one I heard recently. There are others, but I do try to forget them!

A common problem is where a technical word is used outside of its proper context - or a speaker simply being a crap communicator! (A good writer would simply rewrite "He has a depressed affect" - except for the very specific audience of other head-shrinks).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

« Reply #1912 on: 20 January, 2012, 04:44:43 pm »

Jargon should never be used out of context.

d.

Cudzoziemiec

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1914 on: 20 January, 2012, 06:28:09 pm »

It is to a psychiatrist.
"He has a depressed affect" is how the mind state and appearance of a depressed man would be described.
[OK - backtracking a bit to the posts that started this ... ]

Helly, this is QuiteInteresting, but would you bet that the text irritating David was written by a psychiatrist?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #1915 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:26:57 pm »
Have you tried our poncy bread with soup ... 'to give a really indulgent eat.'

Thanks for that one Mr Tesco.

« Reply #1916 on: 02 February, 2012, 11:57:19 pm »
Have you tried our poncy bread with soup ... "to give a really indulgent eat." Thanks for that one Mr Tesco.

The noun eat (meaning "the action of eating; a meal") is nearly a thousand years old: the OED's first citation is from the 11th century Paris Psalter. It was a good enough word for King Alfred!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1917 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:07:31 am »
Things usually lie unused for a thousand years for a reason.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1918 on: 03 February, 2012, 01:31:18 pm »
:thumbsup:  ;D

« Reply #1919 on: 03 February, 2012, 01:46:12 pm »
:thumbsup:  ;D

:thumbsup:  ;D maybe, but I don't think the first citation would have been the last.  I don't have access to OED but I doubt that the usage has been unused for 1000 years.  Gareth?

« Reply #1920 on: 03 February, 2012, 02:28:55 pm »
I don't think the first citation would have been the last.  I don't have access to OED but I doubt that the usage has been unused for 1000 years.  Gareth?

The OED has only a sampling of citations: there are three early citations from c.1000 to c.1200, and then three late citations from 1844 to to 1951. Latest is "1951    J. Frame Lagoon 60   Goodbye and thank you for the little eat."

It's hard to fill the gaps by corpora searches because the overwhelming preponderance of the verb eat makes the noun hard to find.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1921 on: 03 February, 2012, 02:39:31 pm »
Despite being in the OED, it still sounds shit.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1922 on: 05 February, 2012, 07:02:28 pm »
This from a hymn at church this morning:

For some reason the last line of verse 2 felt wrong to me.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1923 on: 05 February, 2012, 07:03:26 pm »
The first line is pretty bad in itself.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1924 on: 06 February, 2012, 10:52:25 am »
I hate that doggerel with a passion. I won't grace it with the word "song" which includes masterpieces from Schubert and Tchaikowsky, or "hymn" which includes Aberystwyth & Cwm Rhondda.

I used to have to teach it to junior school children in a hall about ten feet away from the railway line between Shoeburyness and Fenchurch Street. The best bit of assemblies was when we had to stop because a passing train was making the building shake.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.