Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856754 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #1925 on: 06 February, 2012, 01:43:00 pm »
A BBC reporter has just said that if Greece defaults on its loans, it could "spread contagion" throughout the Eurozone.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1926 on: 06 February, 2012, 06:36:02 pm »
A BBC reporter has just said that if Greece defaults on its loans, it could "spread contagion" throughout the Eurozone.

The OED has this as sense 4a, "fig. Hurtful, defiling, or corrupting contact; infecting influence." Citations include Chaucer and Gibbon.

I used to have to teach it to junior school children

I'm surprised by this: did you really have no choice in the matter? Who or what prevented you from choosing something better?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1927 on: 06 February, 2012, 06:41:38 pm »
http://www.happyplace.com/3645/the-best-obnoxious-responses-to-misspellings-on-facebook

This forum is a paragon of tolerance compared to Facebook  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1928 on: 06 February, 2012, 10:45:46 pm »

The OED has this as sense 4a, "fig. Hurtful, defiling, or corrupting contact; infecting influence." Citations include Chaucer and Gibbon.

I used to have to teach it to junior school children

I'm surprised by this: did you really have no choice in the matter? Who or what prevented you from choosing something better?

Other staff, who requested rubbish like this for their assemblies. I would have quite happily torn up the BBC Book of pseudo-religious doggerel with bad tunes.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1929 on: 07 February, 2012, 06:45:41 am »
The all-time worst example is the Children's Society carol for Christingle services.  Ther words are banal and don't scan properly, the tune is nicked straight from "The Holly and the Ivy" and the whole thing is contrived.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1930 on: 07 February, 2012, 01:19:45 pm »
Today I read an example of Punctuation Mattering:

"
Youd made no effort to see it until one day it was shown on British television. He said later that he settled down with a glass of whisky to watch it, but was upstairs in bed by the end of the first commercial break.
"

On first reading, it made no sense. Then I realised it was written about John Christopher (Christopher Samuel Youd), science-fiction writer and children's novelist.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1931 on: 07 February, 2012, 01:36:28 pm »
Today I read an example of Punctuation Mattering:

I'm none the wiser. How does one matter punctuation?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1932 on: 07 February, 2012, 02:23:20 pm »
Maybe I meant muttering. I can't remember.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1933 on: 07 February, 2012, 03:14:29 pm »
Wasn't it 'smattering'?
Getting there...

« Reply #1934 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:23:00 pm »
BBC News tonight: "Having left school at 16, the economic down-turn has left her..."

What was the economic down-turn doing at school in the first place?

« Reply #1935 on: 09 February, 2012, 09:02:48 am »
Saw this guy last week - some witty observations on youth "grammar" (slightly NSFW):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kLKlgLG6jfI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/kLKlgLG6jfI&rel=1</a>
The sound of one pannier flapping

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1936 on: 09 February, 2012, 09:27:27 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16954576

What is a "retiral"?

I thought the BBC was supposed to set a standard for others to aspire to.

« Reply #1937 on: 09 February, 2012, 09:32:56 pm »
That is really awful, isn't it?  (And the story's not very nice, either.)

« Reply #1938 on: 09 February, 2012, 09:56:41 pm »
What is a "retiral"?

According to the OED, it's a Scottish word meaning "retirement". So it's not surprising to see it in a report from BBC Scotland.

« Reply #1939 on: 09 February, 2012, 11:34:45 pm »
It's the first time I've heard it and I'm OLD.  But I'm not Scots, though of Scots (and Welsh) descent.  I wonder if any Scots could tell us if it's common?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1940 on: 09 February, 2012, 11:42:57 pm »
Same for me. I worked for 9 years for HMCE, which had loads of Scots working there and I never heard the word "retiral".

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1941 on: 10 February, 2012, 12:42:35 am »
It's the first time I've heard it and I'm OLD.  But I'm not Scots, though of Scots (and Welsh) descent.  I wonder if any Scots could tell us if it's common?

Used lots when I worked in Glasgow. Also outwith, clerkess and other usages eschewed by the English.

« Reply #1942 on: 10 February, 2012, 09:47:57 am »

It's easy to research this kind of question yourself. Google for "site:bbc.co.uk retiral", and what do you get? 246 results, and on the first page:
  • "On the Retiral of John McLeod, Senior Guardsman, Wick Railway Station"
  • "Scottish referee Kenny Clark talks to BBC Scotland's Liam McLeod about the controversial retiral of referee Dougie McDonald."
  • "Scotland Vogts shrugs off Weir 'retiral'"
  • "MS forces [Dundee midfielder] Artero retiral"
  • "The retiral of [Scottish player] Chris Paterson from international rugby"
  • "Donald Stewart [MP, Western Isles, held] on to the seat until his retiral in 1987"
So this word appears regularly in BBC headlines and articles by Scottish writers on Scottish subjects.

I worked for 9 years for HMCE, which had loads of Scots working there and I never heard the word "retiral".

English is a big language, as I'm sure you know, with many dialects. You can speak it all your life and still learn new words every day.* So maybe a bit of research would be appropriate before condemning an unfamiliar usage as a mistake?

* Today I learned the word coffle.

« Reply #1943 on: 10 February, 2012, 10:00:52 am »
Thank you Gareth, obviously I have a lot to learn.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1944 on: 10 February, 2012, 10:21:45 am »
Well, my research went a far as asking my Scottish son in law and he'd never heard it either.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1945 on: 10 February, 2012, 11:28:25 am »
Chambers dictionary is a good point of reference for things like this - it takes a liberal approach to spelling and dialect (hence it's the dictionary of choice for crossword compilers and Scrabble players). Plus it's Scottish. I don't have my copy to hand but I wouldn't be surprised if "retiral" were in it.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1946 on: 10 February, 2012, 12:36:06 pm »
Chambers dictionary is a good point of reference for things like this - it takes a liberal approach to spelling and dialect (hence it's the dictionary of choice for crossword compilers and Scrabble players). Plus it's Scottish. I don't have my copy to hand but I wouldn't be surprised if "retiral" were in it.

d.

It is, and it's in the Oxford.

« Reply #1947 on: 11 February, 2012, 09:09:31 am »
Following up stories on The Times' safety campaign, I did enjoy the comment in this story from a councillor, who apparently has a white plastic car with keep left markings on it.

« Reply #1948 on: 11 February, 2012, 09:53:30 am »
Following up stories on The Times' safety campaign, I did enjoy the comment in this story from a councillor, who apparently has a white plastic car with keep left markings on it.

That made me smile, too!  However, in fairness to the councillor, it's more likely to be the work of the demon sub-editor than a grammatical slip.  They've probably just chopped out his previous sentence.  From my experience of our local paper, he may well not have said anything at all - or even exist!

« Reply #1949 on: 11 February, 2012, 09:55:27 am »
Yes, agreed, but does read oddly ;D