Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856961 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #2325 on: 01 August, 2012, 12:35:48 am »
Available in Gold (orange), Violet (purple), Sapphire (blue) and Carbon (black)
Okay, it's not strictly grammar, but what the fuck is the point of using names for colours which need further description? Besides, it's not as if gold, violet, sapphire and carbon are unknown terms. Either call them fancy names or just orange, purple, etc, it's stupid to have a 'name' and a 'description'.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2326 on: 01 August, 2012, 09:22:06 am »
BBC, 'medal' is not a verb.

Its not entirely  the Beebs fault , this has been around a while and I think it was used at the last Olympics as well.
Lazy athletes patois moved into mainstream by the commentators picking it up from competitors and trainers possibly.
It sounds wrong to you (and me) but to others it sums up "the act or process of winning a championship or Olympic medal placing".
Winning sums up 1st place so how else would you summarise 1st ,  2nd and 3rd place in one word?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2327 on: 01 August, 2012, 09:27:34 am »
"to podium" has also been spotted out in the wild
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2328 on: 01 August, 2012, 09:28:40 am »
A member of the British olympic team was heard, on the radio this morning, to speak of her potential disappointment if she 'fails to medal.'  :facepalm:

I knew I'd seen it somewhere before.  Allegedly a  Pendletonism.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2329 on: 01 August, 2012, 10:07:43 am »
New doctors start today. There's a #tipsfornewdocs Twitter hashtag. One suggestion:

<<newbies starting in the ED today: dont b cocky and try and get in the gd side of the nurses. can make ur time gr8 or hell>>

I don't have the heart to suggest writing unambiguous English and using short sentences...

« Reply #2330 on: 01 August, 2012, 10:09:51 am »

The OED says:

medal, v. 1. trans. To decorate or honour with a medal; to confer a medal upon as a mark of distinction. Usu. in pass. 2. intr. U.S. Sport. To win a medal.

with citations for sense 1 from 1822 and for sense 2 from 1966.

« Reply #2331 on: 01 August, 2012, 10:14:27 am »

The OED says:

medal, v. 1. trans. To decorate or honour with a medal; to confer a medal upon as a mark of distinction. Usu. in pass. 2. intr. U.S. Sport. To win a medal.

with citations for sense 1 from 1822 and for sense 2 from 1966.

It may be "correct" but it still makes me (like eck) cringe and is therefore fair game for this thread, which is not "Grammar that is wrong"!

« Reply #2332 on: 01 August, 2012, 10:21:17 am »
It may be "correct" but it still makes me (like eck) cringe and is therefore fair game for this thread, which is not "Grammar that is wrong"!

But eck didn't write, "verbal medal makes me cringe" (which would be fine). He wrote "'medal' is not a verb".

« Reply #2333 on: 01 August, 2012, 10:32:43 am »
Fair enough, Gareth, I didn't trace it back far enough.  I'm not trying to pick a fight and your "interventions" are always very informative, thanks!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2334 on: 01 August, 2012, 11:08:58 am »
It makes me cringe.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2335 on: 01 August, 2012, 11:10:49 am »
My message has always been: have confidence in your judgement! If you don't like a word, then say so. Don't make up a bogus linguistic justification for your opinion. (If you didn't like broccoli, which would be a better way of putting it: "I don't like broccoli" or "broccoli is not a food"?)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2336 on: 01 August, 2012, 02:07:17 pm »

But eck didn't write, "verbal medal makes me cringe" (which would be fine). He wrote "'medal' is not a verb".
Using 'podium' as a verb makes me cringe.  :-*
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #2337 on: 01 August, 2012, 03:47:01 pm »
Commentators make me cringe.

« Reply #2338 on: 01 August, 2012, 08:41:42 pm »
Our local station has posters announcing that:

"Most babies born in Hertfordshire are delivered by a University of Hertfordshire educated midwife."

I don't know whether to be more bothered that the whole county is covered by less than two midwives, or that a University wrote that.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2339 on: 02 August, 2012, 11:40:27 pm »
This sign, which I pass every other day, is just wrong somehow - it's the two different uses of 'in'

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2340 on: 02 August, 2012, 11:47:00 pm »
This sign, which I pass every other day, is just wrong somehow - it's the two different uses of 'in'

Being a considerate person, I would try not to block in their drive.

« Reply #2341 on: 03 August, 2012, 12:06:08 am »
New doctors start today. There's a #tipsfornewdocs Twitter hashtag. One suggestion:

<<newbies starting in the ED today: dont b cocky and try and get in the gd side of the nurses. can make ur time gr8 or hell>>

I don't have the heart to suggest writing unambiguous English and using short sentences...
Yes. Replace ' and' with a full stop & you've saved yourself a little effort & made your meaning clear.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2342 on: 03 August, 2012, 12:33:07 am »
Maybe being cocky and getting in the good side of nurses was just what the doctor ordered...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2343 on: 03 August, 2012, 04:22:47 pm »
I've met some very nice doctors and nurses this afternoon, but whilst waiting for my appointment I saw this on the notice board:

We are breastfeeding welcome
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2344 on: 03 August, 2012, 05:00:00 pm »
I've met some very nice doctors and nurses this afternoon, but whilst waiting for my appointment I saw this on the notice board:

We are breastfeeding welcome

<Cringe>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2345 on: 03 August, 2012, 05:54:16 pm »

Its not entirely  the Beebs fault , this has been around a while and I think it was used at the last Olympics as well.
Lazy athletes patois moved into mainstream by the commentators picking it up from competitors and trainers possibly.
It sounds wrong to you (and me) but to others it sums up "the act or process of winning a championship or Olympic medal placing".
Winning sums up 1st place so how else would you summarise 1st ,  2nd and 3rd place in one word?
Aren't you happy that Hoy and Wiggins have golded and Armitstead has silvered?

red marley

« Reply #2346 on: 03 August, 2012, 06:09:18 pm »
Aren't you happy that Hoy and Wiggins have golded and Armitstead has silvered?

Yup. And plenty will be happy that the beach volleyball teams have bronzed.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2347 on: 03 August, 2012, 06:11:05 pm »
 :D Nice one!

« Reply #2348 on: 09 August, 2012, 12:09:52 am »
Ooh, two in a row; am I allowed this?

Quote about a picture posted on a forum: Not great quality as I don't have my camera at the moment so had to take them on my phone.

What is that thing called on a phone that enables you to take photos?

More importantly, Takamines usually play well but that sound-hole rose is just too much for me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2349 on: 17 August, 2012, 05:08:05 pm »
'What do yo do to prevent your bike being one of the 26,000 stolen last year?'
http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/what-do-you-do-to-prevent-your-bike-being-one-of-the-26000-stolen-last-year/

Get a Kryptonite for your Time Machine, maybe...