Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856865 times)

Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #2550 on: 09 December, 2012, 01:24:28 pm »
The plural of roof is what?
... I checked my Oxford English Dictionary; it doesn't mention the plural. ...

The online OED (I have access through work) says:

"noun (pl. roofs) ... 

... origin Old English hrōf, of Germanic origin; related to Old Norse hróf '‘ boat shed’ ', Dutch roef '‘ deckhouse’ '. English alone has the general sense ‘‘ covering of a house’ ’; other Germanic languages use forms related to thatch."

So roof would make more sense, given the Dutch similar usage of roef.

I've never seen rooves.  Comparison with other similar words in English is a bit pointless, because exceptions probably outweigh other usages.  English is a horribly inconsistent language.  New words sometimes get shoe horned into older syntactical mechanisms, but they're just as likely to come in via another language, that does it completely differently.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2551 on: 09 December, 2012, 03:00:05 pm »
I remember reading that the plurals are optional for roof/roofs/rooves and wharf/wharves/wharfs etc.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2552 on: 09 December, 2012, 03:17:19 pm »
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #2553 on: 09 December, 2012, 07:05:36 pm »

At school I was taught the pural of roof is rooves (as well as hooves, calves, shelves, etc.) but reading the Bible, where I don't expect to find grammatical errors, I read Luke 12:3 (TNIV): What you have said in the dark will be heard in the daylight, and what you have whispered in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed from the roofs.

It seems odd that the Bible includes a grammatical error so I checked in my computer's dictionary: roofs. I checked my Oxford English Dictionary; it doesn't mention the plural. I searched YACF: 30 roofs and 3 rooves. If the internet is to be believed it appears that rooves is old fashioned and not used anymore apart from in New Zealand English. Really?

What do you say and write: roofs or rooves?

The plural of 'roof' is 'roofs'! I don't know what school you went to but it wasn't a grammar school!!   ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2554 on: 10 December, 2012, 10:08:27 am »

At school I was taught the pural of roof is rooves (as well as hooves, calves, shelves, etc.) but reading the Bible, where I don't expect to find grammatical errors, I read Luke 12:3 (TNIV): What you have said in the dark will be heard in the daylight, and what you have whispered in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed from the roofs.

It seems odd that the Bible includes a grammatical error so I checked in my computer's dictionary: roofs. I checked my Oxford English Dictionary; it doesn't mention the plural. I searched YACF: 30 roofs and 3 rooves. If the internet is to be believed it appears that rooves is old fashioned and not used anymore apart from in New Zealand English. Really?

The plural of 'roof' is 'roofs'! I don't know what school you went to but it wasn't a grammar school!!   ;D

FattersbethinkingthatSouthendHighissomethingtoboastabout. :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2555 on: 10 December, 2012, 03:33:42 pm »
Perhaps he's right :D
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2556 on: 11 December, 2012, 12:11:40 pm »
Tweet from ONS today-

<<Blaenau Gwent had the least amount of residents declaring 'no skills in Welsh' >>

AAARRRGGGHHH!
Seems their English is not too hot...

« Reply #2557 on: 11 December, 2012, 09:47:47 pm »

"Rooves" are conical copper rivets that are clenched over the nails (also copper) that are traditionally used to fasten the planks together in a clinker-built boat.

« Reply #2558 on: 11 December, 2012, 09:52:24 pm »

"Rooves" are conical copper rivets that are clenched over the nails (also copper) that are traditionally used to fasten the planks together in a clinker-built boat.

I thought that was 'roves'...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #2559 on: 12 December, 2012, 10:54:44 am »

I thought that was 'roves'...

Bugger!!!!!

You're right ;D.

« Reply #2560 on: 12 December, 2012, 11:03:03 am »
Because I'm a sad old bastard, I've just Googled "boat nails rooves" and seen that it's not a rare error*. However, according to The Chambers Dictionary, Arch is correct.

* I can't remember where I heard/read it.

;D ;D ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2561 on: 12 December, 2012, 11:11:20 am »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2562 on: 12 December, 2012, 11:15:29 am »
I don't think I've ever seen "rooves" before. This is the first time I've seen it and it certainly doesn't look correct to my eyes.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2563 on: 14 December, 2012, 04:52:40 pm »
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2565 on: 14 December, 2012, 06:01:18 pm »

Bugger!!!!!

You're right ;D.

I only know because when I was at Uni, my assessed seminar was on the subject of Viking shipping, so I read a lot about wooden boat construction.  I also lodged myself in the assessors minds by converting the potential maximum payloads of the various types of ship into the weights of double decker buses. ;)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2566 on: 17 December, 2012, 01:20:40 am »
Hoax nurse body arrives in India...

« Reply #2567 on: 17 December, 2012, 01:25:50 am »
Yes, Helly.

I get infuriated by that kind of language-mangling from teletext news, yahoo pages and other information services.  It's not as if there isn't space to write "nurse's".

Further, what on earth has this to do with the general public, anyway?

« Reply #2568 on: 17 December, 2012, 01:57:06 pm »

« Reply #2569 on: 22 December, 2012, 05:02:57 pm »
Working my way up to inferior.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2570 on: 24 December, 2012, 11:40:28 am »
Yes, Helly.

I get infuriated by that kind of language-mangling from teletext news, yahoo pages and other information services.  It's not as if there isn't space to write "nurse's".

But " Hoax nurse's body " would still be ambiguous. It's the brevity that's the problem, not the grammar or lack of apostrophe.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2571 on: 24 December, 2012, 03:25:36 pm »
Seen on today's ride in Elmstead Market

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2572 on: 10 January, 2013, 12:28:03 pm »
It's Sundays evening (6pm) and your due to start work on Monday morning. You're not feeling very well but you know that it will be hard to find cover at this short notice. Tick which actions you would take

You're on the way to your lesson and your car break's down. What do you do?

This is from an application form for teaching jobs. Teaching English amongst other things.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #2573 on: 10 January, 2013, 12:38:02 pm »
You lot are amateurs...

The Self-Appointed Grammar Police Casebook

You're all lightweights.  My colleagues and I spent a whole staff meeting discussing how we should teach comma use this week.  We still haven't made a decision about the Oxford comma.  (Roll on retirement).

« Reply #2574 on: 10 January, 2013, 01:13:15 pm »
We still haven't made a decision about the Oxford comma.  (Roll on retirement).

Easy: use it or don't. Consistent usage is the primary consideration.
I like maps me