Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856910 times)

Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #3250 on: 18 September, 2014, 03:11:16 pm »

Shew is not the past tense of show. (I ought to let this one pass, as it's dialect, but I'm still cringing).

Local past tense of jump is jamp   ::-)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3251 on: 18 September, 2014, 03:21:56 pm »
Shew is an archaic form of show isn't it?

Past is shewn/shown, I thought.

When Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) was operating an MOD desk in the early seventies a sign by the reception desk of the building in which he toiled in the Service of Her Majesty read:

PASSES MUST BE SHEWN

I don't think they had any of the mucking around with different coloured light bulbs to denote "Threat Level" back in those days since it was automatically assumed that the Russkies and/or the Provos were going to bomb the fuck out of us anyway.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3252 on: 18 September, 2014, 06:59:49 pm »
Do you mean spelling or pronunciation? Because the old 'shew' didn't represent a different pronunciation, at least not in the last couple of hundred years.

Shew was pronounced like blow or grow, not blew or grew. Shew/shewn sounded like sew/sewn.

Pronounced like shoe.

(With a stalk of grass in the corner of your mouth.)
Aaah. So it's dialect, not the old spelling.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3253 on: 19 September, 2014, 12:21:07 am »

When Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) was operating an MOD desk in the early seventies a sign by the reception desk of the building in which he toiled in the Service of Her Majesty read:

PASSES MUST BE SHEWN

I don't think they had any of the mucking around with different coloured light bulbs to denote "Threat Level" back in those days since it was automatically assumed that the Russkies and/or the Provos were going to bomb the fuck out of us anyway.

When I worked at HMCE in the 1980s there was a permanent notice displaying the "security level". By default it was "Black special". The fact that this was the alert state for probably at least 90% of the time I spent working there, I think the word "special" was a lie. If something is "special" it is out of the ordinary. In those days the colloquial meaning of "special", as in "special needs child" had not, so far as I recall, been coined.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3254 on: 19 September, 2014, 01:12:25 am »
Some terrifying apostrophe abuse on display in the International UFO Museum & Research Center in Roswell, NM, this morning.  A typical example:

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3255 on: 19 September, 2014, 07:13:19 am »
It was correct when they put it up then one foggy night a blue light washed across it and all the punctuation had been changed ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3256 on: 19 September, 2014, 07:14:48 am »
From the BBC website today:

More explainers, backgrounders and analysis on the referendum debate can be found on our special index.

More explanation, background and analysis for god's sake !

« Reply #3257 on: 19 September, 2014, 10:13:46 am »

PASSES MUST BE SHEWN

When I worked at HMCE in the 1980s there was a permanent notice displaying the "security level". By default it was "Black special". The fact that this was the alert state for probably at least 90% of the time I spent working there, I think the word "special" was a lie. If something is "special" it is out of the ordinary. In those days the colloquial meaning of "special", as in "special needs child" had not, so far as I recall, been coined.

"Special school" was certainly usual usage then.

On alert states, the Scottish Office building my father worked in had a similar sign: I never saw it display anything other than Black or Black Special, but Black was fairly common.

« Reply #3258 on: 19 September, 2014, 12:19:31 pm »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3259 on: 19 September, 2014, 01:02:33 pm »
'post-dramatic stress disorder'   ;D

« Reply #3260 on: 19 September, 2014, 01:15:26 pm »
"That ghastly play!"
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3261 on: 19 September, 2014, 03:44:20 pm »
Just found the glorious word cacographer - one who writes or spells badly.

I was really looking for the visual equivalent of cacophony to describe the Scottish Parliament building. No luck yet.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3262 on: 19 September, 2014, 04:23:39 pm »
Carbuncle is the usual.

« Reply #3263 on: 19 September, 2014, 08:13:25 pm »
Speaking of dialect, a locally born and bred friend and I were discussing the declension of to be in East Devon.

I'm
You'm
He'm or she'm - though occasionally 'er is (applied to any gender)
We'm
You'm
They'm

This contrasts interestingly with the use of be a little further north (I've heard older Bristolians say you bist)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3264 on: 19 September, 2014, 11:48:30 pm »
There's the Black Country
Oi am
yo am
her/him is...

« Reply #3265 on: 20 September, 2014, 12:00:20 am »
In Lancashire (and other non-devolved Northern areas) there's a tendency to swap the gender* endings in the past tense, so we get, I were, she/he/it were but we/you/they was.

However, in Rochdale at least, there is pretension to refinement at administrational level: Outside the new municipal offices there is a steel sign, rather like the one at New Scotland Yard, which says "Accessible Access".  If you think it is -ist to put "disabled access" - and you'd have a point - why not put "alternative entrance".  I try to stand up for Rochdale in the face of the shocking public image it has.  This doesn't help.  I'll voice my irritation but it won't be removed unless metal thieves help out. 

* sorry, I didn't mean gender, I meant singular/plural

« Reply #3266 on: 20 September, 2014, 06:45:54 am »
This contrasts interestingly with the use of be a little further north (I've heard older Bristolians say you bist)

That's a great  Anglo Saxson survival.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3267 on: 21 September, 2014, 10:15:28 pm »
Gah, people using i.e. when they mean e.g.  :demon:

ian

« Reply #3268 on: 22 September, 2014, 10:27:52 am »
There's the Black Country
Oi am
yo am
her/him is...

You don't want to know what we do with this in the more impenetrable parts of the East Midlands.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3269 on: 22 September, 2014, 02:36:54 pm »
The NYT calls Africans heading for Italy migrants, as if they're going back & forth every year like swallows.  OK, the word does also apply to bods & beasts moving in one direction only, but it's most commonly used for Arctic Terns, lemmings, etc.  Unless of course the NYT is taking their ultimate deportation into account.

Emigrants or refugees would be much better.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3270 on: 22 September, 2014, 03:55:58 pm »
Speaking of dialect, a locally born and bred friend and I were discussing the declension of to be in East Devon.

I'm
You'm
We'm
You'm
They'm

I've told you a thousand times! Verbs conjugate, nouns decline!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3271 on: 22 September, 2014, 04:24:00 pm »
The NYT calls Africans heading for Italy migrants, as if they're going back & forth every year like swallows.  OK, the word does also apply to bods & beasts moving in one direction only, but it's most commonly used for Arctic Terns, lemmings, etc.  Unless of course the NYT is taking their ultimate deportation into account.

Emigrants or refugees would be much better.
I think it's deliberate. They are Economic Migrants and therefore undeserving of our sympathies.

« Reply #3272 on: 22 September, 2014, 05:09:08 pm »

I'm
You'm
We'm
You'm
They'm

I've told you a thousand times! Verbs conjugate, nouns decline!

Oh dear. I am shamed. Declining standards in conjunction with age.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3273 on: 24 September, 2014, 10:43:34 am »
Hmmm. One of the devilishly difficult questions has me a little unsure.
(click to show/hide)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3274 on: 24 September, 2014, 10:51:54 am »
Augustus doesn’t care either way, he's been dead for centuries and classical Latin didn’t have apostrophises anyway :)