Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856937 times)

Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #3650 on: 22 June, 2015, 03:20:34 pm »
"Overviewed" as a verb.

In a paper on Japanese education policy that I'm proofreading, from the National Institute of Educational Policy Research, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science & Technology.

It also has 'Aplil' & 'Februrary' on its home page. Should I say?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3651 on: 22 June, 2015, 03:59:04 pm »
Whereas here on YACF we make allowances for you in both respects.  :-*

Most gracious, Patron.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3652 on: 22 June, 2015, 06:23:31 pm »
Some goon on the news says that nurses from outside the EU are mostly working in "underpressurised situations".  I do not think he thought this through.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3653 on: 22 June, 2015, 07:04:28 pm »
One World Cup sticker album. Two Panini.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3654 on: 22 June, 2015, 07:19:10 pm »
Partner is having a meal in the 'Warwick Castle' hostelry tonight, so I thought I'd look at their website for information.

The Warwick Castle is a lovely local’s haunt set in the heart of Little Venice, welcoming visitors and neighbours to the area since 1867. Although updated the changes have been faithful to the original  décor and charm of the building .The pub was beautifully captured in the painting by Eduardo Arizzone in 1927 and our marble fireplace is mentioned in treasures of Maida Vale.

I'd love to go through this with a red pen!
Edward Ardizzone http://www.edwardardizzone.org.uk has been one of my favourite artists since I was about 10 years old and they can't even get his name right!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3655 on: 23 June, 2015, 03:23:37 pm »
Or they deliberately made it sound more Italian for 'atmosphere'.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3656 on: 23 June, 2015, 03:25:08 pm »
One World Cup sticker album. Two Panini.
One Match Attax. Two Match Attaxes.

:D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3657 on: 23 June, 2015, 04:51:57 pm »
Partner is having a meal in the 'Warwick Castle' hostelry tonight, so I thought I'd look at their website for information.

The Warwick Castle is a lovely local’s haunt set in the heart of Little Venice, welcoming visitors and neighbours to the area since 1867. Although updated the changes have been faithful to the original  décor and charm of the building .The pub was beautifully captured in the painting by Eduardo Arizzone in 1927 and our marble fireplace is mentioned in treasures of Maida Vale.

Edward Ardizzone http://www.edwardardizzone.org.uk has been one of my favourite artists since I was about 10 years old and they can't even get his name right!

That's because they think nobody else will ever have heard of him and they don't give a shit anyway.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3658 on: 23 June, 2015, 07:09:11 pm »

That's because they think nobody else will ever have heard of him and they don't give a shit anyway.

That's a bit stupid as the Hampstead Intelligentsia are likely to feature in the clientèle of an establishment in Maida Vale.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3659 on: 24 June, 2015, 10:04:01 am »
Caption to a photo:
Born into rural poverty in 1898, Arkady Shaikhet was just 19 years old when the Russian Revolution shook the world. After serving in the war, he honed his technique of ‘artistic reportage’ to document the building of the USSR, and founded the magazine Soviet Photo in 1927
But which war? There were, after all, several happening at much the same time and place.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3660 on: 24 June, 2015, 10:35:14 am »

That's a bit stupid as the Hampstead Intelligentsia are likely to feature in the clientèle of an establishment in Maida Vale.

Website's Metropolitan Pub C°, data bashed in by low-grade labourer bored to tears.  I wouldn't blame him for putting in Rossini.

A propos of the sins of low-grade labourers, I have a lovely tri-lingual brochure somewhere for an Italian hotel where the word effluvio, meaning scent & referring to the flowers is translated into English as, of course, effluvium.

« Reply #3661 on: 24 June, 2015, 12:56:43 pm »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3662 on: 24 June, 2015, 01:06:53 pm »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3663 on: 24 June, 2015, 01:17:27 pm »
From this

"Gittoes had been intending to repair the bike but did not have enough money to fix the brakes as his jobseeker's allowance had been sanctioned."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3664 on: 24 June, 2015, 01:26:13 pm »
Caption to a photo:
Born into rural poverty in 1898, Arkady Shaikhet was just 19 years old when the Russian Revolution shook the world. After serving in the war, he honed his technique of ‘artistic reportage’ to document the building of the USSR, and founded the magazine Soviet Photo in 1927
But which war? There were, after all, several happening at much the same time and place.
Depending on the context of where it was published, I'd guess the Civil War (1917-22).
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3665 on: 24 June, 2015, 01:28:24 pm »
Caption to a photo:
Depending on the context of where it was published, I'd guess the Civil War (1917-22).

Possibly WW1 & Civil.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3666 on: 24 June, 2015, 01:44:48 pm »
Civil War would be my guess too, but it could be WWI – or possibly even one of the wars of independence and secession that were taking place in various parts of the post-Tsarist empire. It's just slightly annoying they don't say. But only slightly, cos the photo's got nothing to do with any war.

« Reply #3667 on: 24 June, 2015, 03:30:33 pm »
Grammar seemed to be fine.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3668 on: 24 June, 2015, 04:16:19 pm »
The grammar itself is fine, it's just unclear.

« Reply #3669 on: 26 June, 2015, 10:12:37 am »
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #3670 on: 26 June, 2015, 12:03:45 pm »
Civil War would be my guess too, but it could be WWI – or possibly even one of the wars of independence and secession that were taking place in various parts of the post-Tsarist empire. It's just slightly annoying they don't say. But only slightly, cos the photo's got nothing to do with any war.
They all merged into each other, didn't they? And I would think it pretty normal to have served in more than one narrowly defined war of that set, without necessarily perceiving them as separate.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3671 on: 28 June, 2015, 12:30:00 pm »
To pocket has been around for centuries. Click.
As in "to put money (etc) in one's pocket"? Or some other version of the verb (say, "to pocket the snooker ball")? I can't see that the linked graph distinguishes.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3672 on: 28 June, 2015, 03:02:22 pm »
Rob Collard, you may be a bit miffed about having a qualifying lap disallowed for exceeding track limits, but I don't think you can be "begrieved" about it.  It is little wonder that I always feel the urge to shout "pikey!" whenevr you appear on-screen.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3673 on: 28 June, 2015, 03:33:25 pm »
Rob Collard, you may be a bit miffed about having a qualifying lap disallowed for exceeding track limits, but I don't think you can be "begrieved" about it.  It is little wonder that I always feel the urge to shout "pikey!" whenevr you appear on-screen.

Is begrieved to be slightly more annoyed about the decision than aggrieved ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3674 on: 28 June, 2015, 05:48:23 pm »
They all merged into each other, didn't they? And I would think it pretty normal to have served in more than one narrowly defined war of that set, without necessarily perceiving them as separate.
Yes, I guess so. It does depend on your perspective though. From the Bolshevik/Soviet point of view, it must have been one long war against various Enemies of the Revolution. Or even one Enemy in various guises. And that's obviously the Pov he would have taken. It's really the name Civil War that's inappropiate – it's a bit misleading to call something a civil war when it involves invading internationally recognised independent states. However, the History That Makes You Cringe thread is other there! <^>