Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856699 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #3975 on: 09 December, 2015, 10:10:31 am »
Getting really irritated by people being interviewed on TV and radio starting every answer with "So". Where the hell has this come from?

I am mortified to confess that Dr Larrington was guilty of this on her wireless series back in September.  I shall Have Words.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #3976 on: 09 December, 2015, 10:21:39 am »
I am guilty of starting with, "So," because it is one way of saying, "Pay attention." So often I would say something and the response would be, "Pardon," and I'd have to repeat myself. Using a quick short attention getter: a cough, so, ey-up, or something means people listen first time.

Indeed, it's not sin, it's a technique, gives the speaker a moment to collect their thoughts, and the audience time to assemble their attention.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #3977 on: 09 December, 2015, 01:05:01 pm »
I am guilty of starting with, "So," because it is one way of saying, "Pay attention."

Indeed, it's not sin, it's a technique, gives the speaker a moment to collect their thoughts, and the audience time to assemble their attention.

Well, yeah, but what was wrong with "Well", which served that porpoise perfectly, er, well?

« Reply #3978 on: 09 December, 2015, 01:31:48 pm »
Look, it's at least the 4th time 'So-at-the-beginning-of-a-sentence' has come up in this thread. It only jars with me (now) when it's the start of an answer to a direct question. It just sounds rude and/or evasive.  cf 'Look' at the beginning of a sentence.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3979 on: 09 December, 2015, 02:53:43 pm »

Whether or not this is true, it doesn't explain where it has come from - or why. I don't recall it being so prevalent five years ago.

Language fashions are strange indeed.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3980 on: 09 December, 2015, 03:20:34 pm »
Language fashions are, like, strange, like.
FTFY

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3981 on: 09 December, 2015, 03:33:47 pm »
I am guilty of starting with, "So," because it is one way of saying, "Pay attention." So often I would say something and the response would be, "Pardon," and I'd have to repeat myself. Using a quick short attention getter: a cough, so, ey-up, or something means people listen first time.
My ex B-in-law used to use "I say!" in that way. It seemed to work.

It was rather odd - it didn't fit the rest of his vocab/mannerisms at all.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #3982 on: 09 December, 2015, 03:57:53 pm »

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3983 on: 09 December, 2015, 05:28:59 pm »
The "So" thing probably works if you're making like a sneersome Paxman interviewing a particularly odious politician:  "So, Mr Green Shapps, are you seriously suggesting that jam can come in big pots?" with the unspoken subtext that anyone thinking such a thing must be a really special kind of idiot.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3984 on: 09 December, 2015, 05:46:27 pm »
ISTR Beowulf starts with a 'So.' (Or at least that's how Seamus Heaney rendered 'hwaet'.)

So it's been in and out of fashion for quite some time...

red marley

« Reply #3985 on: 09 December, 2015, 06:00:05 pm »
I find if I begin with "Hark!" while pointing my finger in the air, the ensuing silence gives me some thinking time. If I need a bit more, "Hark! I hear horses." works well.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3986 on: 09 December, 2015, 06:44:11 pm »
Sainsbury's has a big sign above one aisle reading

MEN'S CLOTHING
KID'S CLOTHING

I know the latter isn't wrong in isolation but it's not what they meant, and it really jars next to MEN'S.

Still, neither is as awful as AMBIENT CAKE, which is the most cack-handed way to describe a  normal cake that I can imagine.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3987 on: 09 December, 2015, 06:47:14 pm »

Whether or not this is true, it doesn't explain where it has come from - or why. I don't recall it being so prevalent five years ago.

At our place it started with the onetime head of IT Architecture and spread like widfire.  It is indeed a way of barging into a conversation and it works because it implies that what is about to be said somehow logically follows from what has been said before.  In fact, they were probably not listening at all, just waiting for a chance to speak.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3988 on: 09 December, 2015, 07:16:42 pm »
Ambient cake?  :o It suggests, to me, cake which is somehow generally pervasive making its presence felt.
So, you see, there's this cake, and it's like everywhere but, thing is, well, I mean it's like everywhere but you don't basically know where it is. So that's the basic thing about, well, about, like, ambient cake. It's ambient like. Safe!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #3989 on: 09 December, 2015, 07:34:18 pm »

I think people got bored of 'well' and 'look'. I always begin in silence, merely waving my large calibre handgun until I have the audience's full and undivided attention.

That, btw, isn't a euphemism.

citoyen

« Reply #3990 on: 09 December, 2015, 07:38:11 pm »
Ambient cake... truly awful management jargon.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3991 on: 09 December, 2015, 07:44:01 pm »
Ambient cake... truly awful management jargon.

But I suppose the shelfdroids have to differentiate ambient cake from cake which must be refrigerated.

« Reply #3992 on: 09 December, 2015, 08:21:28 pm »
...or frozen
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #3993 on: 09 December, 2015, 08:24:33 pm »
MrsC has worked in the food industry.
They categorise foods into 'ambient', 'chilled' and 'frozen'.
Different procedures needed when handling and storing.
It makes sense but is another example of specific trade jargon escaping into the outside world where in sounds pretentious or silly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3994 on: 09 December, 2015, 08:25:58 pm »

citoyen

« Reply #3996 on: 09 December, 2015, 09:30:32 pm »

It makes sense but is another example of specific trade jargon escaping into the outside world where in sounds pretentious or silly.

Exactly. It shouldn't be used in a 'customer facing' context.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3997 on: 09 December, 2015, 11:17:29 pm »
I would never have known that was what it meant. I guessed it was something along the lines of "not categorisable under any specific category"; cake which isn't for a particular season or event. I don't think I've ever seen or heard the phrase before, but next time I visit Mr Painsbusy's Emporium of Toothy Combustibles, I shall keep a look out for it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3998 on: 09 December, 2015, 11:41:53 pm »

Exactly. It shouldn't be used in a 'customer facing' context.

!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3999 on: 09 December, 2015, 11:46:21 pm »
Sainsbury's pack their toothy comestibles into separate bags for ambient, produce, chilled and frozen.
I think they're supposed to pack narsty cleaning things separate from foods but that doesn't always seem to happen.