Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856704 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #5125 on: 18 February, 2019, 04:07:26 pm »
We'll no longer need to ask you for meter reads.
... for meter readings.
... to read the meter.

There might be a technical difference between these but nothing that a customer as opposed to a meter technician (if there is such a job) could be expected to know about.
There is no longer such a job as a meter technician. Smart meters have made them redundant.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5126 on: 18 February, 2019, 07:00:48 pm »
As for the obligatory prefix filler "so" which I mentioned on this thread many years ago, it has now reached truly epidemic proportions and is "so" widespread as to rival the ghastly "like" of yoof-speak.  Indeed it's actually being used in written form - a post here the other day (no names mentioned) started, "So... ".

Sadly Professor Larrington was guilty of this when she had a series on R4 a couple of years ago.  I shall take her to task on it if further media tartery is in the pipeline.

"Produce" as used Transpondially to mean vegetables. "He was so bad they were throwing produce at him".

Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles were doing this behind the scenes in the early 1980s.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5127 on: 18 February, 2019, 07:50:48 pm »
There might be a technical difference between these but nothing that a customer as opposed to a meter technician (if there is such a job) could be expected to know about.
There is no longer such a job as a meter technician. Smart meters have made them redundant.

Smart meters have given them a zillion new meters to install...

« Reply #5128 on: 18 February, 2019, 08:06:56 pm »
Lovely meter, meter read, nothing can come between us.

« Reply #5129 on: 18 February, 2019, 08:22:25 pm »
As for the obligatory prefix filler "so" which I mentioned on this thread many years ago, it has now reached truly epidemic proportions and is "so" widespread as to rival the ghastly "like" of yoof-speak.  Indeed it's actually being used in written form - a post here the other day (no names mentioned) started, "So... ".

Sadly Professor Larrington was guilty of this when she had a series on R4 a couple of years ago.  I shall take her to task on it if further media tartery is in the pipeline.

Much appreciated  ;D  Tell her it will increase listening figures by at least one!
The sound of one pannier flapping

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #5130 on: 18 February, 2019, 08:23:49 pm »
"Produce" as used Transpondially to mean vegetables. "He was so bad they were throwing produce at him".

Not just Transpondially I suggest.  I'm from the Lincolnshire Fens and there are very many agricultural businesses in that part of the world known as 'Produce Merchants'.  They grow, or trade in veg, mainly cabbage, Brussels and caulis.

« Reply #5131 on: 18 February, 2019, 08:29:13 pm »
Lovely meter, meter read, nothing can come between us.
Took her out and tried to win her...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5132 on: 18 February, 2019, 08:41:05 pm »
Elders, as in elders of a community. It's quite a common word, isn't it? Is there any reason someone wouldn't know it? Specifically someone from Ireland. Maybe it's not used in Ireland? Would welcome comments from Irish persons.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #5133 on: 18 February, 2019, 08:48:14 pm »

Not just Transpondially I suggest.  I'm from the Lincolnshire Fens and there are very many agricultural businesses in that part of the world known as 'Produce Merchants'.  They grow, or trade in veg, mainly cabbage, Brussels and caulis.

It's certainly a common word on the sides of lorries and vans coming and going from New Covent Garden which would suggest that's it's not very American at all. They only just built the US Embassy there, after all.

« Reply #5134 on: 18 February, 2019, 09:51:09 pm »

Nah, I'd have thought she'd just point out that it's got a good pedigree. IIRC Beowulf starts 'Hwaet', which in Seamus Heaney's translation is rendered 'So':
Quote from: Heaney
So. The Spear-Danes in days gone by
and the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness.
We have heard of those princes’ heroic campaigns.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5135 on: 19 February, 2019, 07:46:28 am »
Elders, as in elders of a community. It's quite a common word, isn't it? Is there any reason someone wouldn't know it? Specifically someone from Ireland. Maybe it's not used in Ireland? Would welcome comments from Irish persons.

I'm not Irish, but my general association would be religious, and originating in USania as in Mormon Elders, perhaps because I occasionally see them on trains from Ely, out on their missions.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5136 on: 19 February, 2019, 08:51:39 am »

It's certainly a common word on the sides of lorries and vans coming and going from New Covent Garden which would suggest that's it's not very American at all. They only just built the US Embassy there, after all.

That kind of slightly stilted formal use on the side of a van carrying grocer'ies is unsurprising. Hearing it used in ordinary speech is strange.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5137 on: 19 February, 2019, 09:18:20 am »

I'm not Irish, but my general association would be religious, and originating in USania as in Mormon Elders, perhaps because I occasionally see them on trains from Ely, out on their missions.
The context wasn't Mormon (East African in fact) and the religious aspect was implicit rather than explicit but that sounds about right.

« Reply #5138 on: 19 February, 2019, 09:41:43 am »
Our village flower show is officially known as the 'Flower and Produce Show' and has been for years. Knowing some of the past organisers (now all in their 80s) I doubt transpondia as an influence. Possibly another example of Americans continuing to use words which we consider obsolete, but no more than that.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #5139 on: 19 February, 2019, 10:22:45 am »
Am I right in thinking that one meaning of 'products' is 'stuff you put in your hair'?

eg
- Do you use products?
- Yes, but just brylcreem

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5140 on: 19 February, 2019, 10:32:33 am »
Our village flower show is officially known as the 'Flower and Produce Show' and has been for years. Knowing some of the past organisers (now all in their 80s) I doubt transpondia as an influence. Possibly another example of Americans continuing to use words which we consider obsolete, but no more than that.

Certainly. My venerable 1968 Chambers says 'ns: that which is produced: proceeds: product: crop: yield, esp. of fields and gardens'; in other words, using it for fruit & veg is OK in a foody/flowery context.  I'd say, though, that using it in everyday non-foody speech, e.g. throwing produce at a performer, implies that the word means fruit & veg predominantly or even exclusively. After all an Ikea chair, produce of Sweden, might also be heaved at the poor bugger. It is the shrinking of the word's meaning that I find curiously Usanian.

Another instance was "you're not going to bribe me with a bagful of produce". Make it produce of the Royal Mint (or whatever they call it these days) and it just might work.

Am I right in thinking that one meaning of 'products' is 'stuff you put in your hair'?

eg
- Do you use products?
- Yes, but just brylcreem

That's like the French produits, shortened from produits chimiques. As in mange pas ça, y a des produits dedans.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5141 on: 19 February, 2019, 10:41:43 am »
Hair product is the English phrase, and for some reason it's usually uncountable (that I've heard it).

« Reply #5142 on: 19 February, 2019, 10:56:55 am »
Going back to "elders",  it certainly can have a religious connotation but it should be familiar to most surely as in "Respect your elders and betters" which is a flowery way of saying, "me".

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5143 on: 19 February, 2019, 12:25:19 pm »
^^^ yes, also the general connotation of village elders/tribal elders as a source of wisdom, which I guess then morphed into religious elders
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5144 on: 19 February, 2019, 01:09:19 pm »
Our village flower show is officially known as the 'Flower and Produce Show' and has been for years.

So is Ambridge's.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5145 on: 19 February, 2019, 01:24:24 pm »
Going back to "elders",  it certainly can have a religious connotation but it should be familiar to most surely as in "Respect your elders and betters" which is a flowery way of saying, "me".
So (see what I did there?) elders and betters aren't those old fellas coming out of the bookies then?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5146 on: 19 February, 2019, 02:08:54 pm »
So (see what I did there?) elders and betters aren't those old fellas coming out of the bookies then?
:hand: ::-) ;D ;D ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5147 on: 19 February, 2019, 02:32:14 pm »
Then there are elders and aldermen. Elders have hollow pithy stems, produce small dark-red fruit and propagate like f*cking rabbits, whereas aldermen have dark greyish-brown fissured bark, oval or rounded leaves with toothed margins, and produce catkins.

« Reply #5148 on: 19 February, 2019, 02:44:07 pm »
The plural of month is months, isn't it? Not months'? Months' means "belonging to the month" doesn't it? Please? Tell me I'm not going mad...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5149 on: 19 February, 2019, 03:11:39 pm »
You're not gong mads'.