Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856830 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #5800 on: 10 November, 2020, 06:21:10 pm »
Similarly, failure to correctly apply negation, so she'll say the exact opposite of what she means.  In both cases, she won't 'hear' that she's done it and correct herself as you or I might.  Happens more frequently in speech, but sometimes creeps into her writing when tired.
Someone was saying (in writing) something the other day about "being prosecuted for driving with undue care and attention."  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5801 on: 13 November, 2020, 06:31:18 pm »
Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) has just received an apparently-genuine e-mail from MBNA telling him that his replacement credit card “is on it's way”.

Kill them.  Kill them all.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5802 on: 13 November, 2020, 06:46:05 pm »
By a thousand cuts with credit cards?

This one will annoy lots of people: anniversary as a verb. "When that anniversaries, will it fall out of next year or should we assume the same run rate?"

There might be other things in that sentence that make people cringe.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5803 on: 13 November, 2020, 07:24:21 pm »
Mercifully I have yet to encounter a verbed anniversary in the wild, as the police tend to take a dim view of bludgeoning apparent innocents utterly to DETH.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5804 on: 13 November, 2020, 07:54:03 pm »
I thought "fall out of next year" was quite... amusing. That it actually makes sense to BANKERS does not make it better.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5805 on: 16 November, 2020, 09:16:57 pm »
Although solar geoengineering would theoretically be able to lower temperature rise,...
Ugh!

« Reply #5806 on: 19 November, 2020, 10:30:07 am »
This will not be delivered today as planned. Our tech team have made arrangements for correctivations today, we will ensure to keep you updated

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5807 on: 19 November, 2020, 10:47:40 am »
Love it. Correctivations is now my word of the day.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5808 on: 19 November, 2020, 11:27:07 am »
I heard 'infuriations' on the radio the other day. As opposed to 'fury'.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5809 on: 19 November, 2020, 11:38:19 am »
This will not be delivered today as planned. Our tech team have made arrangements for correctivations today, we will ensure to keep you updated

There is so much wrong with that that "correctivations" has to struggle to get to the top/bottom of the pile.  I'm staggered that so many techies manage to reach puberty and breed.

citoyen

« Reply #5810 on: 19 November, 2020, 11:53:13 am »

I think I love that even more than correctivations. Surely the meaning is slightly different to fury though? I would take it to mean 'instances of being infuriated', so a quantifiable noun rather than the unquantifiable 'fury'.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5811 on: 19 November, 2020, 12:06:03 pm »
I would take infuriation to mean something that infuriates. In as far as you can ever judge a word without context.

Correctivations = corrective actions autocarrotted, no?

« Reply #5812 on: 19 November, 2020, 12:17:08 pm »

I think I love that even more than correctivations. Surely the meaning is slightly different to fury though? I would take it to mean 'instances of being infuriated', so a quantifiable noun rather than the unquantifiable 'fury'.

Good point. Annoyingly I can't remember the exact context.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5813 on: 19 November, 2020, 12:22:19 pm »

I think so.

There is so much wrong with that that "correctivations" has to struggle to get to the top/bottom of the pile.  I'm staggered that so many techies manage to reach puberty and breed.

This is nothing technical. Well. Big scale technical. There is a shipping container with torn sides sitting in South Shields now waiting for 24,000 litres of pinot noir to be pumped into a tank, as they can't move the damaged container off the dock without risk of the internal bag tearing.

citoyen

« Reply #5814 on: 19 November, 2020, 12:27:05 pm »
I would take infuriation to mean something that infuriates.

I considered that as another possible meaning. But as you say, it depends on context.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #5815 on: 19 November, 2020, 12:33:02 pm »

I think so.

This is nothing technical. Well. Big scale technical. There is a shipping container with torn sides sitting in South Shields now waiting for 24,000 litres of pinot noir to be pumped into a tank, as they can't move the damaged container off the dock without risk of the internal bag tearing.
Where can I get a wine box like that?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #5816 on: 19 November, 2020, 12:36:53 pm »
I would take infuriation to mean something that infuriates.

I considered that as another possible meaning. But as you say, it depends on context.
Given my replacement for this bastardisation was 'fury', I'm thinking that the context must have been something along the lines of "The infuriation of having to deal with ..."
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5817 on: 19 November, 2020, 01:22:55 pm »

I rather like  the idea of suffering the infuriations of correcivitis.  Anti-inflammatory blandishments to be applied.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5818 on: 19 November, 2020, 03:33:12 pm »

To be fair to the tech team, they're evidently not the ones writing that.

Also, in light of fboab's elaboration, have you noticed that everyone who does the actual work is a technician these days?  Apart from technicans, who are engineers.

« Reply #5819 on: 19 November, 2020, 03:34:11 pm »
No space after commas and full stops.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5820 on: 19 November, 2020, 03:49:08 pm »

I follow someone on twitter who does this.  And not in a deliberately committing crimes against typesetting in order to squeeze another word in http://t.co/eiGoo9Vo wouldn't bother me, but twitter parses it as a URL, so when I read their tweets in a text-mode client random sentences get munged together with a nonsense redirect link.  Comme ça.

I think I prefer Dr Biggles's habit of putting a space before the punctuation mark at the end of a sentence .

« Reply #5821 on: 19 November, 2020, 03:54:32 pm »
Also, in light of fboab's elaboration, have you noticed that everyone who does the actual work is a technician these days?  Apart from technicans, who are engineers.
Aye.
We have
  • Operators - who operate machinery
  • Tech Operators - who set up machinery
  • Fitters - who set up machinery after the operators break it
and finally
  • Engineers - who fix things

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #5822 on: 19 November, 2020, 04:28:53 pm »
Love it. Correctivations is now my word of the day.
That sounds distinctly like "French English". Working with many french people (whose English is generally excellent) there are some interesting words used quite regularly. Probably "plannification" is top of the list although I think my favourite is the verb "complexify". When I was spending more time the other side of the channel and listening to more of this I started to use some of them myself...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5823 on: 20 November, 2020, 08:40:59 am »

To be fair to the tech team, they're evidently not the ones writing that.

Bang on.  It always pisses me off to read stuff like "scientists launch probe to Mars". It's engineers all the way. Salt of the Earth, engineers.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5824 on: 20 November, 2020, 08:45:02 am »

I follow someone on twitter who does this.  And not in a deliberately committing crimes against typesetting in order to squeeze another word in http://t.co/eiGoo9Vo wouldn't bother me,
When people do that on this forum (and others) I tend to not bother reading them.