Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856826 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #5850 on: 24 November, 2020, 02:08:36 pm »
Something is either historic, or it is not, there is no graduation.

The name of the programme is a bit clunky (which fits with the content, based on the episode I half watched), but I don't agree with this bit.

'Historic' means more than just 'happened in the past' - because after all, not every past event is deemed worthy of being recorded in the history books. There's an element of fame (or infamy) and importance implied.

Even without that distinction, is there not also a chronological element? An event that happened last week might be considered less historic than one that happened a thousand years ago. Given that the series is looking at towns where momentous events occurred in the past, I think it's much more acceptable in this case than the normal everyday lazy hack usage you see so often, where any vaguely important current event is described as 'historic'.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5851 on: 24 November, 2020, 02:29:25 pm »

The name of the programme is a bit clunky (which fits with the content, based on the episode I half watched), but I don't agree with this bit.

'Historic' means more than just 'happened in the past' - because after all, not every past event is deemed worthy of being recorded in the history books. There's an element of fame (or infamy) and importance implied.

Even without that distinction, is there not also a chronological element? An event that happened last week might be considered less historic than one that happened a thousand years ago. Given that the series is looking at towns where momentous events occurred in the past, I think it's much more acceptable in this case than the normal everyday lazy hack usage you see so often, where any vaguely important current event is described as 'historic'.
But learning how to preserve grapes by drying them, several thousand years ago, was a historic currant event.

I'll get my coat...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5852 on: 24 November, 2020, 02:34:24 pm »

But learning how to preserve grapes by drying them, several thousand years ago, was a historic currant event.

I'll get my coat...
That Cudzo - always raisin the bar.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

citoyen

« Reply #5853 on: 24 November, 2020, 02:39:37 pm »

I missed that one - they must have pruned down the history books to only include the most important dates.

ian

« Reply #5854 on: 24 November, 2020, 02:40:58 pm »

I don't understand either, it's the most historic towns in Britain. There are lots of historic towns. The programme is about the top ones.

Americans have disavowed all -al endings so everything that has happened ever there is historic.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5855 on: 24 November, 2020, 02:44:29 pm »

There's a TV series on UK TV at the moment called "Britain's Most Historic Towns"

And because I've watched too much West Wing, it always jars.

Something is either historic, or it is not, there is no graduation. Same for Unique. Something is either unique or it isn't. It can't be very unique.

Argh. Why do they persist in this appalling English?

J
I'd be more exercised about some of the "Towns" being cities.
If I could be arsed; I don't do exercise.

In the UK, "city" means it has a royal charter and a cathedral. Anywhere else it means it's got a McDonald's and a Starbucks - which, frankly, are a hell of a lot more useful.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5856 on: 24 November, 2020, 03:58:55 pm »

I missed that one - they must have pruned down the history books to only include the most important dates.
Mainstream historians don't give a fig about the development of agriculture. 

« Reply #5857 on: 24 November, 2020, 04:02:19 pm »
In the UK, "city" means it has a royal charter and a cathedral. Anywhere else it means it's got a McDonald's and a Starbucks - which, frankly, are a hell of a lot more useful.
<pedant>No. It just needs the charter. Southampton is a city, no cathedral. Guildford is a town, but has a cathedral. Cambridge is a city due to the university, not a cathedral. The rule of thumb is: city - cathedral or university, town - market, village - church, hamlet - anything else, but there are exceptions to all of these. But towns and cities, historically at least, need charters.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5858 on: 24 November, 2020, 04:16:37 pm »
<pedant>No. It just needs the charter. Southampton is a city, no cathedral.
Portsmouth is a city and has two. That must do wonders for the Southampton/Portsmouth rivalry.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

« Reply #5859 on: 24 November, 2020, 04:25:10 pm »
Portsmouth is a city and has two.

Pertinently, Portsmouth was the subject of the episode I half-watched.

« Reply #5860 on: 24 November, 2020, 04:47:57 pm »
Catholic cathedrals don't count--has to be CofE

citoyen

« Reply #5861 on: 24 November, 2020, 04:57:26 pm »

Interesting. That would never have occurred to me. But it got me wondering if there are any UK towns/cities that have an RC cathedral but not an Anglican one...

Google has so far turned up Aldershot.

« Reply #5862 on: 24 November, 2020, 05:21:34 pm »

Interesting. That would never have occurred to me. But it got me wondering if there are any UK towns/cities that have an RC cathedral but not an Anglican one...

You can add Nottingham to the list.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5863 on: 24 November, 2020, 05:29:34 pm »
It's a royal charter, so it has to be the royal religion.

As for places with an RC cathedral but not a CE one, the RC cathedral in Bristol is technically designated as Clifton.  :-\

citoyen

« Reply #5864 on: 24 November, 2020, 05:38:41 pm »
It's a royal charter, so it has to be the royal religion.

Yes, it was obvious as soon as SteveC mentioned it, but it's not something I'd ever given much thought before. Mainly because most places with an RC cathedral do also have an Anglican one, so it's a moot point as regards city status.

I know Clifton cathedral but never realised it was designated Clifton rather than Bristol. I expect many of the residents would like to be dissociated from the rest of Bristol, but it's a bit of a cheek!

And Nottingham - yes, I remember that one too, now Poacher mentions it, but it didn't come to mind before.

Davef

« Reply #5865 on: 24 November, 2020, 05:52:49 pm »
According to my dictionary historic means “famous or important in history”. Nothing wrong with some towns being historicer, meaning famouser or importanter than others.

« Reply #5866 on: 24 November, 2020, 05:58:54 pm »
But it got me wondering if there are any UK towns/cities that have an RC cathedral but not an Anglican one...

And Lancaster.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5867 on: 24 November, 2020, 06:05:08 pm »
I know Clifton cathedral but never realised it was designated Clifton rather than Bristol. I expect many of the residents would like to be dissociated from the rest of Bristol, but it's a bit of a cheek!
They probably would, but I doubt that was going through the mind of the Catholic hierarchy back in the 19th century! I've no idea why it's not just designated Bristol.

citoyen

« Reply #5868 on: 24 November, 2020, 06:18:47 pm »
I've no idea why it's not just designated Bristol.

Different diocese areas, I imagine.

London is in Canterbury as far as Anglicans are concerned, but Canterbury is in London (Southwark) for Catholics.

« Reply #5869 on: 24 November, 2020, 06:33:56 pm »
When Catholics were allowed to have a hierarchy in the UK again, mid-nineteenth century1, part of the agreement was that no RC diocese would have the same name as a CofE one. That is no longer the case (Portsmouth as quoted up thread being an example).
However, in order to really hack of the establishment, the mother church of English Roman Catholicism is Westminster Cathedral (as opposed to Westminster Abbey).

[1] - it had been perfectly legal to practice Catholicism for some time, but there was no diocesan structure.

(very) lapsed Catholic with far too much of an interest in historical trivia

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5870 on: 24 November, 2020, 06:41:22 pm »
When Catholics were allowed to have a hierarchy in the UK again, mid-nineteenth century1, part of the agreement was that no RC diocese would have the same name as a CofE one.
Ah! A reason that makes sense! Thanks.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #5871 on: 25 November, 2020, 02:10:28 pm »
But it got me wondering if there are any UK towns/cities that have an RC cathedral but not an Anglican one...

And Lancaster.

...and Leeds. The RC Cathedral on Great George St. has been designated such for many years, but the CofE Leeds Parish Church on Kirkgate has only recently been renamed Leeds Minster.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #5872 on: 25 November, 2020, 06:53:48 pm »

And Lancaster.

...and Leeds. The RC Cathedral on Great George St. has been designated such for many years, but the CofE Leeds Parish Church on Kirkgate has only recently been renamed Leeds Minster.
And Arundel.

citoyen

« Reply #5873 on: 25 November, 2020, 07:05:03 pm »

I had to do a street view to remind myself where the cathedral was - it's a few years since I lived there and now I hardly recognise the place. The road layout in the city centre seems to have changed pretty radically.

« Reply #5874 on: 26 November, 2020, 07:25:44 am »

There's a TV series on UK TV at the moment called "Britain's Most Historic Towns"

At least the series is not called "Britain's Historicest Towns"