Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 856916 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #1400 on: 17 March, 2011, 10:05:56 pm »
I've discovered an entirely new use of the Grocers' Apostrophe!

Written on a whiteboard in the lock-up at work is a list of tools that need repairing. Some spades, a rack, a hoe and then:

"A'nother spade"
It's to indicate that something is missing - the thing you use the spade for:
A hole nother spade.

:D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1401 on: 17 March, 2011, 10:08:46 pm »
I've discovered an entirely new use of the Grocers' Apostrophe!

Written on a whiteboard in the lock-up at work is a list of tools that need repairing. Some spades, a rack, a hoe and then:

"A'nother spade"
It's to indicate that something is missing - the thing you use the spade for:
A hole nother spade.

:D

;D
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1402 on: 17 March, 2011, 10:28:52 pm »
I Am Finding It Slow Going Reading An Article Where Every Word Starts With A Capital Letter. Why?

Source: Coefficients

Microsoft call this 'Title Case'.

IMO (I am no reading expert) it is because every upper case letter causes your reading to pause and restart, making an obvious delay.

ALL UPPER CASE is slow because word shapes are less distinctive cos there are no risers or descenders

Title case is fine for titles, road signs and route sheets.

It is wrong in block text, as you have discovered

« Reply #1403 on: 10 April, 2011, 07:20:00 pm »

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1405 on: 10 April, 2011, 08:18:42 pm »
So do I.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1406 on: 10 April, 2011, 10:16:06 pm »
So how would you like them to start their sentences? ;)
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1408 on: 11 April, 2011, 06:30:27 pm »
Good spot. (I reckon "against a parked car" might have been best)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1409 on: 12 April, 2011, 10:28:58 am »
I nearly shat myself and stacked my bike into a parked car

I thought you stack things in a pile and therefore you would stack your bike on a car not into a car.

Get with it, grandad! ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1410 on: 12 April, 2011, 10:40:16 am »
'Yeah, no...'

Just start talking when you know what you want to say, OK?  This dreadful construction was sent up by the comic creation of the crap cricketer Dave Podmore years ago, but I heard a posh woman say it this morning, talking about what it was liek to live in a castle.

Stop it.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1411 on: 12 April, 2011, 11:50:14 am »
'Yeah, no...'

It is more confusing fun internationally:

In Slovak yes is áno and yeah is no, so no means yes, the opposite of English.

In Greek you nod your head once up or once down depending on whether that is a nod to say yes or no (and I have forgotten which one is which). To say no with a nod means you nod your head vertically not side to side. Again, the opposite of English.

Greek word for 'yes' is 'ne' (ναι), which in Slavic languages is basically a negation prefix.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1412 on: 12 April, 2011, 12:02:35 pm »
'Yeah, no...'

In Greek you nod your head once up or once down depending on whether that is a nod to say yes or no (and I have forgotten which one is which). To say no with a nod means you nod your head vertically not side to side. Again, the opposite of English.

Greek word for 'yes' is 'ne' (ναι), which in Slavic languages is basically a negation prefix.

This is how wars start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1413 on: 12 April, 2011, 02:27:42 pm »
Quote from: DNA

It is of course well known that careless talk costs lives, but the full scale of the problem is not always appreciated.

For instance, at the very moment that Arthur said, 'I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle,' a freak wormhole opened up in the fabric of the space-time continuum and carried his words far far back in time across almost infinite reaches of space to a distant galaxy where strange and warlike beings were poised on the brink of a frightful interstellar battle.

The two opposing leaders were meeting for the last time.

A dreadful silence fell across the conference table as the commander of the Vl'hurgs, resplendent in his black jewelled battle shorts, gazed levelly at the G'Gugvuntt leader squatting opposite him in a cloud of green sweet-smelling steam, and, with a million sleek and horribly beweaponed star cruisers poised to unleash electric death at his single word of command, challenged the vile creature to take back what it had said about his mother.

The creature stirred in his sickly broiling vapour, and at that very moment the words, 'I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle' drifted across the conference table.

Unfortunately, in the Vl'hurg tongue this was the most dreadful insult imaginable, and there was nothing for it but to wage terrible war for centuries.

Eventually, of course, after their galaxy had been decimated over a few thousand years, it was realised that the whole thing had been a ghastly mistake, and so the two opposing battle fleets settled their few remaining differences in order to launch a joint attack on our own galaxy---now positively identified as the source of the offending remark.

For thousands more years the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across---which happened to be Earth---where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.

Those who study the complex interplay of cause and effect in the history of the universe say that this sort of thing is going on all the time, but that we are powerless to prevent it.

'It's just life,' they say.

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1414 on: 12 April, 2011, 05:44:40 pm »
'Yeah, no...'

Whereas in India you nod your head from side to side with a vertical twist at each end to say "I'm trying to give the impression I'll do whatever you want, but I don't know what you want so I'll do it my way anyway."  :D

« Reply #1415 on: 05 May, 2011, 08:16:37 am »
Thanks for following the latest developments with the BBC. Here's a quick upsum of Wednesday's news.

Is that new?  (I'll have a go: "BBC - here's a quick upthrow in response").

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1416 on: 05 May, 2011, 08:46:05 am »
Upsum? Doubleplusungood. :sick:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1417 on: 05 May, 2011, 12:57:49 pm »
LOL, on holiday we'd often do 6-800 miles in a day. Not so easily achievable here in the UK though.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1418 on: 05 May, 2011, 02:01:20 pm »
In the course of my 2009 holibobs I averaged over 330 miles per day; during the middle one of the three weeks it was only about 100 mpd...

I've managed ~3000 miles in three days in the UK a couple of times, but that was just being silly.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1419 on: 09 May, 2011, 02:50:38 pm »
Hi D.....

I try to phone you about the query below.

We have staff meet this afternoon. So I try after 2:30pm.

Regards,
D....

<grunt>

Me like mamoot

</grunt>

::-)

« Reply #1420 on: 19 May, 2011, 04:05:19 pm »
Quote from: teh skool
For the boys it is essential they bring plain swimming trunks of a length that finishes above the knee and a towel. Any boy who has hair which intrudes their eye line must also come equipped with a swimming cap to wear. Goggles are strongly recommended for both boys and...

You what?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1421 on: 24 May, 2011, 09:49:22 am »
BBC Weatherdroid!  Speaking of the fresh breezes which afflicted the Frozen North yesterday, pray do not say "lighter winds than what we had yesterday".  Your "what" is superfluous.  Come to that, so is your "we had".  So, Liam Dutton, you said it three times in two minutes at eight this morning on R4.  Do it again and I'll drop you from a great height through the blades of my gardener's helichopter.  Crunt.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1422 on: 24 May, 2011, 09:53:57 am »
Ah, weatherfolk are fair game are they? Right; yesterday, met office expert on Iceland:

The cloud of ash is being literally cartwheeled over to Europe by ... blah ... blah ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1423 on: 24 May, 2011, 10:43:16 am »
But it is a cartwheel! It's part of Vulcan's chariot.  :)

RainOrShine

« Reply #1424 on: 24 May, 2011, 01:23:33 pm »
"the band of rain will move its way north..."
 ??? ???