Author Topic: Keeping my shelves straight...  (Read 1253 times)

Keeping my shelves straight...
« on: 16 August, 2020, 12:34:28 am »
I’m going to invest in better garage storage... am planning free standing shelve units, probably metal with wooden shelves.  Free standing gives me some flexibility if I decide to squeeze a car inside over winter I can play with the layout (it’s a double garage, the other side is all bikes 😂)

The previous occupiers tiled the floor, very nice except all round the edges the tiles kick up, so if you stand a shelving unit there it leans like crazy away from the wall :(.  The floor probably kicks up 20mm over the last two 6” tiles  ::-)

I could
1) fit wall mounted shelves
2) cut the back legs to be shorter (restricts reuse anywhere else)
3) dig up the last two tile rows & try to do a better job.  I assume the slab is also like it & they have just put tiles on best they can...

Thoughts on the best way to approach this?

Re: Keeping my shelves straight...
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2020, 06:15:10 am »
Put levelling feet on the shelves ?

There are load of variations but most work on the same principle, feet on a screw thread and you locate them with a nut and washer each side of a hole in whatever you are levelling or epoxy / weld a nut to whatever needs levelling.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2020, 08:34:41 am »
I fitted (well, made) shelves from fencing gravel board# I had. Used metal brackets that just clip into vertically mounted “rails” with slots every 20mm or so, so loads of vertical adjustment in seconds if required.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Painting+Decorating/Shelving+Storage/Shelving/Up-Rights+Brackets/c/1000576
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2020, 09:57:57 am »
Put spacers under the front feet?

« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2020, 08:27:10 pm »
timber spacers (cut to size) under the feet where required is nice and simple. 

Also I would always vote for free-standing shelves being securely tethered to the wall where possible too.

cheers

« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2020, 08:45:43 am »
Also I would always vote for free-standing shelves being securely tethered to the wall where possible too.
This. It only needs to be one fastener, so it can be removed and the shelves moved when empty.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #6 on: 17 August, 2020, 10:37:42 am »
Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to look at weight limits on wall mounted 'rail' type shelves, that sounds appealing as they'd be easy to change & move as needed.

I could do some cut timber for feet, but like the idea of adjustable ones - going to also do some research into that :D

& agreed - I will tether them to the wall, my youngest has already proven this is essential by climbing up one of the tall kitchen cupboards...  ::-)

« Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2020, 08:41:48 pm »
With the rail type, just use more to increase load capacity for a given length.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8 on: 18 August, 2020, 07:31:26 am »
This. It only needs to be one fastener, so it can be removed and the shelves moved when empty.

+1 to this if storing heavy stuff

I've got a mix of 20 year old freestanding metal shelves scrwewd to the wall for toolboxes etc and a bunch of the Spur type things for lighter stuff like flowerpots, bird feed etc
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #9 on: 18 August, 2020, 07:59:35 am »
If you have 2 six inch tiles raised 20mm all round then just increase the depth of that border to match the depth of the shelf units.

Although I dislike free-standing units. I lined my walls with timber Cladding to which I can fix shelves very easily.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 18 August, 2020, 02:36:09 pm »

+1 to this if storing heavy stuff

+1 again.  And being cautious to the point of paranoia, I make sure that the shelves lean very slightly back towards the wall, so that there's little or no force on the tether.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight