Author Topic: World cup 2018  (Read 60284 times)

World cup 2018
« on: 01 December, 2017, 10:56:35 pm »
Now that the groups have been drawn, what do you think?

I stuck a fiver on England. Probably foolish - stranger things probably haven't happened - but you never know......
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: World cup 2018
« Reply #1 on: 01 December, 2017, 10:59:04 pm »
It’s a fair bet, but I think they might actually get out of the group this time, so I won’t do the same as you.
It is simpler than it looks.

Bairn Again

« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2018, 10:53:12 am »
I had a look at this last night. 

I have England out in the QFs against Germany and the last 4 to be Germany v Argentina and Brazil v. France. 

France and Argentina look to have decent draws that should allow them to progress (as have England until the QFs) but I cant see past Germany to win it. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2018, 11:01:33 am »
All the goals will be Polish. This is a fact.
(click to show/hide)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2018, 03:42:11 pm »
England are 16/1 to win the World cup.

If you don't understand betting or odds then that means that, if you place £10 on England to win the World cup, you lose your £10.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5 on: 23 March, 2018, 04:13:33 pm »
 ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 09 April, 2018, 12:02:48 pm »
What are the odds of an England football team theme song making it to the top of the pop charts?

Higher?
Lower?

« Reply #7 on: 09 April, 2018, 12:06:53 pm »
Graeme, you really need to get a job!

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #8 on: 09 April, 2018, 12:09:17 pm »
Peter - could we write one between us - was that a job offer?
   O:-)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 11 June, 2018, 01:58:10 pm »
I doubt that anything you could come up with would be better than this...

https://youtu.be/r7aagmw5qcc
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #10 on: 11 June, 2018, 02:52:58 pm »
Now that the groups have been drawn, what do you think?

I stuck a fiver on England. Probably foolish - stranger things probably haven't happened - but you never know......

It may not be foolish, it depends entirely on what the bet is.  Beating Tunisia isn't entirely beyond the realms of fantasy.  Winning the competition is.

They actually have a fairly benign group and, assuming they get out of the group, will avoid the big teams in the first knockout game.  After that it's just a couple of games from holding the cup aloft.  Simple as that*.

*Except we looked typically mediocre and uninspiring in our recent friendlies.

Assuming you got 16/1 odds or thereabouts that feels about right.  Not impossible just unlikely (especially when Spain, Brazil and Germany are 4/1 or 5/1.  Think I'd rather have my money there).

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #11 on: 12 June, 2018, 12:52:17 pm »
I got France in the work sweepstakes, so I'm happy enough.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 12 June, 2018, 12:56:28 pm »

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 12 June, 2018, 04:48:15 pm »
Assuming you got 16/1 odds or thereabouts that feels about right.  Not impossible just unlikely (especially when Spain, Brazil and Germany are 4/1 or 5/1.  Think I'd rather have my money there).
16/1 seems a bit stingy, just based on gut feel; consider those 3 are in the small group of favourites - one of about 4-5 teams who are almost certain to win, so sure, 4/1 or 5/1 "feels" about right ...

but England to win as a "1 in 16" chance - well. I know humans are crap at estimating chance, but it seems a helluva lot less likely than that!

Anyway, an irrelevant digression, as I'm sure the bookies know what they're doing.

Come On England!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #14 on: 12 June, 2018, 04:57:28 pm »
but England to win as a "1 in 16" chance - well. I know humans are crap at estimating chance, but it seems a helluva lot less likely than that!

I think the thing I saw on the internet the other day had it pretty much spot on:

"England are 16/1 to win the World Cup. For those who don't understand betting, that means if you put a bet of £10 on England, you will lose £10."

I suppose the bookies don't give more generous odds because they can't afford to risk the freakishly unlikely occurrence of England actually winning, given the number of blindly optimistic fools who actually bet on them.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #15 on: 12 June, 2018, 05:23:12 pm »

I think the thing I saw on the internet the other day had it pretty much spot on:

"England are 16/1 to win the World Cup. For those who don't understand betting, that means if you put a bet of £10 on England, you will lose £10."

I saw that on the internet as well.

« Reply #16 on: 12 June, 2018, 06:01:33 pm »
I scrolled up and saw it too.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #17 on: 12 June, 2018, 06:05:06 pm »
16/1 seems a bit stingy, just based on gut feel; consider those 3 are in the small group of favourites - one of about 4-5 teams who are almost certain to win, so sure, 4/1 or 5/1 "feels" about right ...

16/1 is a 1 in 17 chance.

(Rolling a 6 with a fair die has odds of 5/1)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 12 June, 2018, 06:09:21 pm »
Good point. 1 in 17 seems bang-on - 1 in 16 was just absurdly optimistic!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #19 on: 13 June, 2018, 08:06:58 am »
During the last WC someone observed that it was really useful to have little flags on cars to indicate morons.  It's happening this time too; isn't that nice!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #20 on: 13 June, 2018, 08:57:03 am »
I got Peru in the work sweepstake. That's the shit South American option, isn't it?

250-1.

« Reply #21 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:08:25 am »
One of the benefits of freelancing is that I'm guaranteed to win the office sweepstake.

(Stolen from Twitter.)

citoyen

« Reply #22 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:17:56 am »
During the last WC someone observed that it was really useful to have little flags on cars to indicate morons.  It's happening this time too; isn't that nice!

You get those in France too? I assumed they were a peculiarly English phenomenon (NB yes, I do mean English, not British).

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #23 on: 13 June, 2018, 12:27:28 pm »
Good point. 1 in 17 seems bang-on - 1 in 16 was just absurdly optimistic!

We've actually won 1 out of 22.

The one we won was when we were a clear top seed and it was a home tournament (and it wasn't a goal).
Despite being a top seed in the years before and for a few afterwards, we haven't come close to winning it twice.

Leicester won the Premiership* at 5000/1 so there's definitely hope (Vardy is in the squad).

* I still think it's the most incredible ever sporting upset.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24 on: 13 June, 2018, 01:32:57 pm »

You get those in France too? I assumed they were a peculiarly English phenomenon (NB yes, I do mean English, not British).

Yeah. Living near the border we get both French and German morons - and even Franco-German morons with both.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight