Author Topic: The wind...  (Read 31794 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: The wind...
« Reply #100 on: 10 February, 2020, 12:44:52 pm »
We just had a mega squall with rain and the office lights went out momentarily.  I think we're off grid power now.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #101 on: 10 February, 2020, 01:40:09 pm »
might be interesting today, geting to LHR by train and then flying north.  Trains to London seem OK so far, but Heathrow Express is a reduced service

Seems OK at the mo. I’m on my third attempt to go transatlantic  :thumbsup:

Yesterday I discovered that exiting an airport when you haven’t actual flown in from anywhere is not at all straightforward.  :facepalm:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #102 on: 10 February, 2020, 01:48:34 pm »
We just had a mega squall with rain and the office lights went out momentarily.  I think we're off grid power now.

Ours went out at 05:15 this morning so I had to get up & stumble round switching off our UPSes then downstairs to stop the Stannah electric chair beeeeeping. Got back to bed and the power came back so I had to get up and set a couple of clocks so as not to have them flashing away.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #103 on: 10 February, 2020, 02:06:57 pm »
might be interesting today, geting to LHR by train and then flying north.  Trains to London seem OK so far, but Heathrow Express is a reduced service

Yesterday I discovered that exiting an airport when you haven’t actual flown in from anywhere is not at all straightforward.  :facepalm:

This has happened to me a several times in Canada where US immigration is at the airport in Canada (so flights to the US can go via domestic terminals). So you essentially enter the US without leaving Canada.

Then your flight gets cancelled, leaving you essentially to re-enter Canada from the US. And then, the following day, re-enter the US without leaving Canada.

Given bad weather and flight cancellations in that part of the world are hardly a surprise, you might assume they'd be used to this outcome, but they were not and indeed seemed to be deliberately obtuse. I think on nearly every single occasion they were dicks. Sir, we already have you having entered the US... I'd patiently explain the obvious scenario that led to me being back in Canada (on one occasion, all the flights had been cancelled and the airport closed, the airport they worked at) and then they'd make up something about how I was supposed to have done something to somehow inform them of this and then they'd make a big palaver about how they were going to bend the rule to let me back into the country I lived in. I'd like to say the Canadians were a lot better, but they weren't. Conclusive proof, if it were needed, that putting unsuitable people in uniforms and giving them power over other people generally turns them into petty nazis.

spindrift

« Reply #104 on: 10 February, 2020, 02:20:44 pm »
The winds were fierce when the rain arrived at 5pm yesterday but they pick up again to 40mph+ this evening. It's Ciara nightly.

rogerzilla

« Reply #105 on: 10 February, 2020, 02:32:35 pm »
Ciaran Stormer?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #106 on: 10 February, 2020, 04:10:48 pm »

So far so good, trains about half an hour late, flight on time, though i expect it will be packed with yesterday's spillover

On the lights front, just one blip yesterday, which is a massive step forward from when we moved here with power cuts for days at a time every winter (luckily I was away ;D)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

« Reply #107 on: 10 February, 2020, 04:13:47 pm »
spoke too soon, delayed by an hour, could be worse

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #108 on: 10 February, 2020, 05:14:37 pm »
Now hailing.

The winds have been much lighter today, but I'd say the showers have been much more severe than yesterday.

Very glad I got home 30mins ago  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rogerzilla

« Reply #109 on: 10 February, 2020, 05:52:58 pm »
Sharp snow on the bike home.  Owowow.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #110 on: 11 February, 2020, 10:09:50 am »
Winds lighter but 90 kph gusts still promised. Started to get the chainsaw in fettle to tackle our flattened buddleia then imagined fetching the lighter offcuts from the end of the garden and put it away again.

Lots of long, whippy branches from our willow in the drive but the trunk stayed steady as a rock throughout and no big bits broke off.

« Reply #111 on: 11 February, 2020, 07:03:27 pm »
21 mph with 46 mph gusts in Slough today.  :P
the slower you go the more you see

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #112 on: 12 February, 2020, 09:46:26 am »
Enough yesterday to cause me to stop for my own safety whilst circumnavigating Southend Civic Centre.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #113 on: 12 February, 2020, 01:32:40 pm »
Whole weekend forecast here:  40-50mph gusts, with rain at all times...   :-\
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ian

« Reply #114 on: 12 February, 2020, 01:34:49 pm »
Yesterday, left London Bridge station by the bottom of the Shard. Promptly cycled backwards towards Bermondsey.

« Reply #115 on: 13 February, 2020, 04:07:18 pm »
Absolutely fed up of the wind. Makes cycling to work hard (I've wimped out several days, gone part of the way via train). Blocks kayak training sessions. I could paddle, but couldn't safely carry a kayak in this wind.

This morning, riding to the station, I was struggling to make 10mph into the wind. On a calm day, that effort level would have me doing 20mph.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #116 on: 15 February, 2020, 01:26:03 pm »
Storm Dennis factoid.  Now a 'bomb cyclone - having dropped 46mb in 24hrs, and forecast to be 920mb -one of the lowest ever for a NAtlantic storm system...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #117 on: 15 February, 2020, 02:26:39 pm »
yet Iceland where the center of the 920mb is just of the coast is "enduring" +3c, some rain and not too bad wind compared to the norm
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #118 on: 15 February, 2020, 03:52:32 pm »
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #119 on: 15 February, 2020, 10:04:53 pm »
Apparently, assorted media outlets would have us believe that Storm Dennis has opened a portal back to the 17th century.  ;D :facepalm:

A Royal Navy warship has been dispatched to help in an urgent search for a man in the sea off the Kent coast.

Lifeboats and the coastguard helicopter are scouring the sea near Margate Harbour after reports of a man overboard, HM Coastguard said.

Sixty-gun frigate HMS Winchester is believed to have responded to a relay call and is in the area, according to ship tracking data.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-02-15/royal-navy-warship-and-lifeboats-searching-for-man-in-sea-off-kent-coast/

A few seconds with a search engine would have told the useless hack that there is no ship bearing that name in service, and it's only the first ship so named (launched in 1693 and lost off Florida in 1695)  that was packing 60 guns* - which made it a fourth-rate ship of the line, not a frigate. :demon: ::-)

H/T: https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/1228679518442881025

* The HMS Winchester launched in 1822 was designed for 60 guns, but carried 52 - an early case of "fitted for, but not with".
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ElyDave

« Reply #120 on: 16 February, 2020, 07:45:31 am »
Apparently, assorted media outlets would have us believe that Storm Dennis has opened a portal back to the 17th century.  ;D :facepalm:

A Royal Navy warship has been dispatched to help in an urgent search for a man in the sea off the Kent coast.

Lifeboats and the coastguard helicopter are scouring the sea near Margate Harbour after reports of a man overboard, HM Coastguard said.

Sixty-gun frigate HMS Winchester is believed to have responded to a relay call and is in the area, according to ship tracking data.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-02-15/royal-navy-warship-and-lifeboats-searching-for-man-in-sea-off-kent-coast/

A few seconds with a search engine would have told the useless hack that there is no ship bearing that name in service, and it's only the first ship so named (launched in 1693 and lost off Florida in 1695)  that was packing 60 guns* - which made it a fourth-rate ship of the line, not a frigate. :demon: ::-)

H/T: https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/1228679518442881025

* The HMS Winchester launched in 1822 was designed for 60 guns, but carried 52 - an early case of "fitted for, but not with".

I was going to say that's pretty impressive for a frigate.  Perhaps it's the new D J Trump "best frigate in the world, period. #making America a laughing stock again"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #121 on: 16 February, 2020, 08:15:28 am »
Returning to the subject of Ciara, the EDF has announced that their wind turbines produced so much electricity that for the first time they were able to export it.

rogerzilla

« Reply #122 on: 16 February, 2020, 11:47:32 am »

« Reply #123 on: 16 February, 2020, 02:11:33 pm »
We’ve had a bit of fence start leaning this morning. It wasn’t ready to come out, so I propped it up and will worry more when it’s not so crappy out.

« Reply #124 on: 16 February, 2020, 05:33:25 pm »
Well not the wind but the mud caused by Storm Dennis:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/51517792

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.