Author Topic: Somewhere or t'other 200k 17th July - nr Taunton  (Read 2206 times)

Somewhere or t'other 200k 17th July - nr Taunton
« on: 29 June, 2011, 04:54:34 pm »
Am sure that someone here must have ridden this?  It's a Dustman Dave event, I've ridden a couple of his shorter Audaxes and enjoyed them - but I can't find much about this particular one on t'internet. 

Am looking for a knee-friendly 200k and hope this might fit the bill.

moggy

Re: Somewhere or t'other 200k 17th July - nr Taunton
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2011, 05:50:04 pm »
I've done twice & enjoyed it. It goes north to the Somerset coast at Blue Anchor ( excellent cafe stop ) back to base for lunch. Then down to the Devon coast at Seaton along coast to Beer then through Honiton & Devon lanes back to base. Undulating first half & a couple of bigger climbs in the second half.

« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2011, 09:30:33 pm »
Thanks for that, it sounds like a nice route and I think my knee should be able to cope. Suppose there's only one way to find out!

moggy

« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2011, 07:36:22 am »
See you there.

« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2011, 11:25:25 am »
got my entry in (a bit late) so hopefully see you there!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2011, 11:08:11 am »
i wouldn't say it is knee friendly.  The HQ is near Taunton Deane services / junction 26 on the M5.   Note this is equidistant from the north and south coasts.

The first bit goes up over Wilvescombe to Blue Anchor.  That's the seaside in the north.  Ascent: a lot.  Then back again: ascent, a lot.  Then you get to eat stuff at the village hall. But don't hang around too long as you don't want your legs to cool off because...

...it's straight out of the hall in the other direction and up the Blackdown hills, approx 200 metre climb.  I don't remember exactly how it goes around Honiton but in the seaside on the south side is visited.

There is a massive climb back up from sea level and back over the Blackdowns again

Devon/Somerset borders don't do knee friendly imho :)

jm1

« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2011, 09:08:01 pm »
Did it in the sunshine a few years ago.Lovely second half.Always wanted to come up and do it again but haven't got round to it.jm.

« Reply #7 on: 08 July, 2011, 09:21:49 pm »
I was on holiday near Exeter a few years ago and manged to fit this ride in.  Hilly it is, but similar to a lot of the climbs in Scotland: suited my style of riding really well.  An excellent event, and as a visitor to the area, 200km worth of new roads, lanes and scenery.
We were well catered for at lunch time when the ride returned to the event centre and again at the end.

« Reply #8 on: 09 July, 2011, 12:15:37 am »
Sounds as if it's definitely a good day out, but have now decided to err on the side of caution and give it a miss.
vorsprung's post rang some bells:
i wouldn't say it is knee friendly.  The HQ is near Taunton Deane services / junction 26 on the M5.   Note this is equidistant from the north and south coasts.
The first bit goes up over Wilvescombe to Blue Anchor.  That's the seaside in the north.  Ascent: a lot.  Then back again: ascent, a lot. 
Last year's Tour Ride took in a similar route to the first bit and that's where the whole knee-thing began, so think riding this would be asking for trouble at the moment.

moggy

« Reply #9 on: 09 July, 2011, 07:19:11 am »
I also did the Tour Ride last year and this one is nowhere near as hard  as that, but if you are worried about your knee it might be better to give it a miss.

« Reply #10 on: 09 July, 2011, 02:18:50 pm »
Deep down I know that at the moment shorter and flatter is the sensible thing to do for long-term benefit, so am going to pass. Fingers crossed I will see you all there next year!

« Reply #11 on: 12 July, 2011, 02:34:16 pm »
goes up over ....  Ascent: a lot.  Then back again: ascent, a lot. ... 200 metre climb. ...massive climb back up ...

you're making this ride sound a bit hilly there Mr. Vorsprung? It sounds very scenic though. Train and campsite booked, so my knee will have to lump it.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12 on: 14 July, 2011, 09:41:27 am »
I spoke to mrs dave last night and confirmed it was ok for a late on the line entry

So I will be riding this at the weekend.  The weathermen are saying now it will be mixed on sunday and the current "scorchio" will end tomorrow

Aiming to be the winner but I won't be taking any stupid risks particularly if it is wet

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #13 on: 18 July, 2011, 06:47:13 am »
I didn't make it to the start.
Saturday I put the mudguards back on the best bike and fitted new Koolstop wet conditions blocks
Sunday morning 7am I was out of the house
But I had terrible hay fever, my legs felt like lead plus it was raining and there was a strong wind.  I decided ICBA so returned home.  It continued to rain until about 10am.  The rest of the day was mixed, always windy with sunny intervals beaten 4:1 by rain showers

« Reply #14 on: 18 July, 2011, 08:12:02 am »
I didn't make it to the start...it was raining and there was a strong wind.  I decided ICBA so returned home.  It continued to rain until about 10am.  The rest of the day was mixed, always windy with sunny intervals beaten 4:1 by rain showers

The Yeovil 25 on the A303 was a very pleasant alternative.