Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2168505 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14775 on: 04 July, 2020, 08:22:11 pm »
Chest of drawers that's been on my list for ages. The two crossbars holding the carcass together had lost their glue at one end and the drawers were stiff to say the least as a result. A few dabs of glue and clamp for ten mins and no probs. Only issue was that the clamps were too short individually, so had to use them in tandem
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14776 on: 04 July, 2020, 09:04:12 pm »
Only issue was that the clamps were too short individually, so had to use them in tandem

When we ran out of long sash clamps, for a pupil's project at work, I grabbed some 3" wide off-cut strips of ply and quickly screwed a block of wood on one end, and another block of wood at a slight angle, just longer than the bit that needed clamping, and used door wedges to form a clamp - the old tricks are the best!  :smug:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #14777 on: 05 July, 2020, 02:02:36 pm »
Drum roll please.

My first wheel !

Very exciting.  Though I did start with an easy one. Front, 20 radial bladed spokes.

Next up, a 24 bladed spoke rear.

Mrs h will be pleased. (Though I will be sure to accompany her on its first outing with a spoke key at the ready.)
I'm delighted (and very relieved) to report that the new wheel had its first outing today and is as true at the end of the ride as it was at the start. (It was 10 thou out laterally when I'd finished it.)

Less delighted with how the second wheel went. Spoke length calculations went a bit awry somewhere. Bizarrely the spokes that were on the wheel were all the same length but when I came to lace it I had to use six of the old spokes which were a tad longer. No idea what's gone wrong as yet but I need to work that out before the next build.
Rust never sleeps

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14778 on: 05 July, 2020, 02:11:49 pm »
I spent the morning washing down all the hall ceiling, walls and woodwork with sugar soap, which was a delightful job. And then after that Pingu refitted a wall mounted light fitting that I managed to smack out of the wall with my elbow while washing. Lath and plaster walls are such a joy to fix things to...
Now to go and sand the radiator we took off the wall last week.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14779 on: 05 July, 2020, 05:21:55 pm »
Fitted a rear dynamo light (B&M μ, very impressive) and a mudguard reflector to the mystery clubman.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14780 on: 05 July, 2020, 05:25:12 pm »
I did the radiator and then thought about fitting a new mudguard but then decided I'd used up all my tuits and needed a lie down. I'm knackered.

ETA: I also stuck a blob of Sugru on my tablet charging cable, being as I could see shiny bits.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14781 on: 05 July, 2020, 05:28:20 pm »
Bodged together a USB-rechargeable front light that I found in the woods yesterday to an old Cateye handlebar bracket. An amazing amount of faff for something that initially appeared simple but now almost looks like a factory job, if you squint. Fitted the Frankenlight to the commuter fixed.

Had a good look at the Cyo with broken mounting tab. Didn’t have any bolt with the same unusual thread as the existing one that secures the heatsink. Accordingly ordered taps and will fit a longer bolt that should let me fasten a bracket to the underside. Then I can drill the Pomp’s fork crown and put the repaired Cyo back in service.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14782 on: 05 July, 2020, 07:47:41 pm »
Nothing.

I visited my sister today. While I was there my nephew asked for help with his hipster fixie. He'd recently taken it to Evans to get a puncture fixed and they'd refitted the wheel in single speed mode not fixed. We needed a 6mm hex key.  They didn't have such a thing.  I didn't know there such things as houses with bicycles but without bicycle tools.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #14783 on: 05 July, 2020, 08:06:47 pm »
Finished the bar tape and tidied a few things up.

Unable to locate my box of connectors so the rear light wire up will have to wait.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14784 on: 05 July, 2020, 11:06:24 pm »

My desk finally got to the point where I needed to do something about it... It started as me just using my laptop on a table, and kinda grew organically. But with no means to store anything, it became a cross between Jenga and the Towers of Hanoi.

In May I ordered some draws from Ikea, and after waiting 5 weeks for them to arrive, plus a week to sort out varnishing them. Today I bit the bullet.

Before:

After:

(click to show/hide)

I need to go over the contents of the draws again, and make sure things are sensibly grouped, and then stick labels on everything. But for now, it's a good start.

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14785 on: 06 July, 2020, 10:05:20 am »
Yay!  I haven't seen more than 5% of my desk top for five years.  Last time I had a clear-up I accidentally threw out my PBP 2015 medal & booklet, so that's the way it's staying.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14786 on: 06 July, 2020, 10:14:46 am »
Anyway, today I have swapped out the defunct battery from my UPS. I've also located two other non-functional UPSes around the house and plan to resurrect them as well. Back when we were swamped with work we'd simply order another when they failed to spare the faff.

Also today, swapped around 3 tyres & tubes between 2 bikes to get the least-worn onto my Trek, pending arrival of new rubber.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14787 on: 07 July, 2020, 03:39:20 pm »
I bought a Campag Record track hub (original type) last year as it looked better than the slightly pitted one I was using.  On cleaning out all the fossilised grease I found it was actually unused, with no signs of ever having been built into a wheel and no rust or road dirt inside.

But...I could never get a good bearing adjustment with it.  It was always tight at one spot and this kind of explains why it's been sitting around for 50 years, unridden.  I even rolled the axle to check for it being bent.  Today I decided to swap out the axle as I just happened to have a used, but known good, Record Pista axle in the Crypt of Crap.  And...it's perfect.

On rolling the original axle again, no wobble is visible but it must be there.  These hubs are precision gone mad.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14788 on: 07 July, 2020, 04:10:06 pm »
Looking good Dave C, nice colour^^

On my account, 65km this morning then this pm
- Hedge trimminng
- Dead half-roll edging burnt
- ye bike shedde tidied, wall mounted rack for two bikes put up, whiteboard to record the pain of my weight sessions moved
- garden shears sharpened

Might shift the bike hanger up a notch as the bottom of the tyres just gets in the way of the recumbent headrest to the point where it will eventually annoy me. Also need to work out best way to store bike number 3.  Number 4 is on the turbo, and number 5 is the recumbent. 

And before you suggest N-1, numbers 1-3 are so old that their second hand price is likely to be below BSO price, only those who know anything about bikes would want them, and that's a tricky market
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14789 on: 07 July, 2020, 08:14:18 pm »

First of my Pingfuckit* power converter prototypes.

I did fry 2 chips in the process of making this...

J

*Made from 100% pure ping fuckits.
--

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #14790 on: 07 July, 2020, 08:25:10 pm »
First of my Pingfuckit* power converter prototypes.
*Made from 100% pure ping fuckits.

So what does it convert from and to?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14791 on: 07 July, 2020, 08:27:46 pm »
So what does it convert from and to?

3.3 -> 6v DC input, 3.3v DC smoothed out, at upto 600mA

J
--

« Reply #14792 on: 09 July, 2020, 02:45:15 pm »
Due to drains and stuffs my water butt's are a a couple of metres from my down pipe. For some reason it hasn't bee. Filling up very well. Think the diverter is a bit cracked and broken or maybe the waters just going down the middle. It does get a fair flow off the roof. Last night poped the short length of pipe off above it and put a very small flower pot over the hole in the middle and now have one full waterbutt and have moved filler pipe to the other butt

« Reply #14793 on: 10 July, 2020, 12:33:48 pm »
Fettled one of the CCTV camera power leads, by cutting the plug and socket off, soldering the wires and covering with heat shrink.

Moisture had obviously got into the connectors as the centre pin was completely corroded away and missing  :o :o
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14794 on: 10 July, 2020, 01:04:39 pm »
Temporary fix to our front gates, which had begun to sag because the prize eejit who built them (not me) didn't think diagonals were necessary. Putting them in will be a major job - must remember to put a car outside first.

Lubed the rails on which our kitchen waste-bin slides in and out of its cupboard. Nothing remarkable about that, save that the lube I used had a price label on top, in francs.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14795 on: 10 July, 2020, 05:21:39 pm »
Tried to fit a new rear mudguard (SKS).
Used *all* the bad swears, including the one I don't like.
Trapped my thumb pad in a pair of pliers and gave myself a black bit.
Threw some stuff about and gave up.

So I haven't fettled a new mudguard.  :facepalm:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14796 on: 10 July, 2020, 06:37:36 pm »
Thought one of the lens-securing screws had fallen out of my reading glasses.  Removed one from ancient pair found lurking in bathroom.  Poke, prod, swear because I need my reading glasses to see what I am doing.  While not doing it, original screw falls out of hole, because they screw in from the bottom.  More swears.

[Much much later]

Get screw in hole, insert lens, tighten screw, rejoice.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #14797 on: 10 July, 2020, 07:55:50 pm »
Cleaned the impressive volume of muck out of the idler wheels & derailleurish on my Brompton.  Happy to report it is once more a 2 speed.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14798 on: 10 July, 2020, 08:25:11 pm »
Thought one of the lens-securing screws had fallen out of my reading glasses.

As a distance glasses wearer in denial, I'm not looking forward to that one.   :hand:

After stripping the threads a few pairs of glasses ago, I've taken to loctiting all the screws as soon as they come home from the optiquack.  It does seem to help.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #14799 on: 10 July, 2020, 08:41:23 pm »
After 5-6 rides on my rebuilt spare Dolan Dual frame, I have ditched the small & light Selle San Marco. My arse just doesn't fit. I put a black Brooks B17 on it. The brown B17 is back on my rebuilt Galaxy, and a spare Rolls I had went on the Cotic, where the brown B17 came from.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/