Author Topic: I need a dog trailer!  (Read 2774 times)

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
I need a dog trailer!
« on: 31 March, 2019, 01:06:02 pm »
We want to take our bikes to the New Forest over Easter but we have the added complication of our whippet. Can anyone recommend a trailer that will take gentle offroading and is easily attached to my mountain bike?

menthel

Re: I need a dog trailer!
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2019, 08:29:44 am »
I will have a look at them. I don't plan on doing crazy offroading as there will be kids with us too so hopefully we won't be on paths that can tip it over!

Ben T

« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2019, 09:17:04 am »

The biggest problem with off-roading with a dog would be the trailer capsizing if, for example, you were traversing a slope and the higher wheel hit a rock and bounced high enough. I have capsized my trailer once; I cut a corner tight and the inside wheel hit the kerb and bounced high. The trailer was empty at the time.

The problem there is that the wheels are attached to each other. What would be better is if you simply had independent wheels attached to the dog's legs. Bit like roller skates, if you like.

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2019, 10:06:04 am »
you can get trailers with only one rear wheel. I would have said that these are fundamentally better suited to mild off roading, since there is a better chance of you knowing that the trailer wheel is going in a sensible place (except in a turn, following where the bike has been, more or less).

IIRC you can buy 'proper ones' for real money (e.g. Bob Yak) or you can buy cheap knock-offs using this design on ebay/amazon. Some folk have managed to get the cheap ones to work well enough for them, but they might be a load of shonky nonsense. No idea if this one is any good or not tbh

https://www.amazon.co.uk/vidaXL-Luggage-Trailer-Orange-Suitcase/dp/B07FCCBQCZ/ref=sr_1_23?keywords=bicycle+trailer&qid=1554110055&s=gateway&sr=8-23

cheers

menthel

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2019, 10:28:17 am »
Thanks, will add it to the list for investigation and consideration.

I don't think I want to spend crazy money as I just suspect it will end up being used once and slung in the shed!

« Reply #5 on: 01 April, 2019, 11:05:13 am »
FWIW a point of concern (esp offroad) with the cheap single-wheel trailers is how they articulate over bumps; it is necessary for the trailer to pivot around the rear axle of the bike; there is a quite  a lot of engineering to make this work in a Bob Yak, precious little sign of it in the knock-offs...?

cheers

menthel

« Reply #6 on: 01 April, 2019, 11:07:26 am »
Might be better off with a 2 wheeler then given that. Thanks for the info.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #7 on: 01 April, 2019, 12:29:05 pm »
May I recommend the DoggieRide - really pleased with the quality and, of course, that it was designed for a dog.

We had the aluminium frame version. They sometimes come available secondhand.

rr

« Reply #8 on: 01 April, 2019, 12:59:04 pm »
I used to regularly ride around delamere forest with 2 Dalmatians, they had no problem staying with me as I rode, they lagged a little on fast downhills, but I was treated to a big, cheesy grin as they trotted past me as I laboured up hill.
Dealing with the pair of them on the lead on the road was surprisingly trouble free as well.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

menthel

« Reply #9 on: 01 April, 2019, 01:04:33 pm »
I will have a look at doggieride, thanks.

Sadly our dog won't have the stamina or discipline to run along side. ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 01 April, 2019, 01:20:18 pm »
I will have a look at them. I don't plan on doing crazy offroading as there will be kids with us too so hopefully we won't be on paths that can tip it over!

In which case the main risk is of Silly Sustrans Gates™.  I've managed to tip my trailer once in many years of ownership, when using the cycle route to divert around gridlocked traffic, by misjudging the line through a gate.  Easily mitigated by stopping and walking the bike through tight gaps when you have precious cargo.

+1 for the Carry Freedom being a quality product, but no idea on whether it's the best option for dog-carrying.

menthel

« Reply #11 on: 01 April, 2019, 01:43:44 pm »
Thanks Kim.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #12 on: 01 April, 2019, 03:23:13 pm »
I have one I bought from Basil. The chances of me using it again are small.
Want pics?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #13 on: 01 April, 2019, 11:41:48 pm »
with the right trailer, (and the right dog....)

no need to pedal!

cheers

menthel

« Reply #14 on: 02 April, 2019, 11:43:55 am »
I have one I bought from Basil. The chances of me using it again are small.
Want pics?

Ended up ordering a doggyride copy to see how it goes. If all goes wrong I will give you a shout.

menthel

« Reply #15 on: 02 April, 2019, 11:44:13 am »
with the right trailer, (and the right dog....)

no need to pedal!

cheers

If only!