Author Topic: Daughter to Uni - Question 2!  (Read 23945 times)

Daughter to Uni - Question 2!
« on: 31 August, 2012, 04:53:04 pm »
Any good advice, ideas of stuff required to send 'em on her way? Practical and emotional.

Things she'll need (other than money).
Treats/surprises
What was useful
What's not useful

What's the experience here to help her on her way?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Daughter to Uni - Question 2!
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2012, 04:57:28 pm »
A two week supply of knickers
Long teaspoons
Cash's name tapes

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2012, 05:24:13 pm »
It depends where she is going to be living. If she is in a hall of residence flat with 4/5 other people it is almost guaranteed that there will be more electrical goods in the kitchen than you can shake a stick at. If she's on her own a kettle is essential.

I've answered this kind of question before but the essentials are something like:

Practical:

Teabags
Milk
Biscuits
Her favourite mug
Corkscrew
Bottle opener
Tin opener
Enough credit on her phone
Clothes washing powder/liquid

Emotional:

Posters
Some good music playlists
Enough credit on her phone
An offer to pay for tickets home for about weekend 3 or 4.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2012, 05:57:37 pm »
A basic toolkit: Screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable spanner, soldering iron, sewing kit, assortment of adhesive tapes, ultimatebootcd, head torch, allen keys, multimeter, WD40, radiator key, RJ45 crimper, cable ties, socket set, oscilloscope, vernier callipers, electron microscope - that sort of thing.

It's the sort of thing only engineering students think of, yet the first week in any student accommodation will be full of all sorts of molishing and fettling tasks, from putting together Ikea chairs to getting PCs speaking to the network.  Fixing loose shelves blu-tacked in back place by your room's previous resident (who presumably studied literature or history or something, where you actually read books) and making your radiator actually work can greatly improve the level of comfort.  DAHIKT.

4-way plug boards.  The n+1 rule applies.  If in halls, cunning ruses to camouflage them may be required.

Nothing that appears on the prohibited items list (though see above).  That includes ornamental candles that are a present for your gran.  (Again, DAHIKT.)

Condoms.  Someone will need them.

Be prepared to take a load of redundant cooking equipment home immediately.  You can't predict what the other housemates will have until you get there.

Bicycle.  I really wish I'd had one of these.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4 on: 31 August, 2012, 06:22:29 pm »

Bicycle.  I really wish I'd had one of these.

Make sure it looks unfashionable/like a heap of shit and has a good lock.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #5 on: 31 August, 2012, 06:26:17 pm »
Oooh yeah, nearly forgot some memory sticks and a stern lesson in the benefits of backing up.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2012, 07:12:36 pm »
This is the Century Of The Fruitbat.  If you've got to university age without learning about the disk fairy, then you deserve what's coming, surely?

(Good advice, though)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2012, 07:21:12 pm »
My mate's mum is German and she sent him a German style "advent calendar" in the middle of his first term which was basically a huge parcel on mini parcels attached to a big ribbon with a parcel every day kinda thing.  My friend and his family weren't ones for saying their feelings but I get the impression he was incredibly touched by the thought which had gone into it.

Each mini parcel had a variety of things from a packet of favourite sweets through to a pair of socks or undies.  It was the mix of sensible and silly and sweet which I think made it.

I can't beat Kim's list, I think we knew we were right for one another when we discovered the other had a soldering iron (she actually used hers ever, I hardly used mine).  More seriously my screwdrivers (I had 4, 1 medium crosshead + flathead and a small crosshead + small flathead).  Pliars.  A mini sewing kit (travel ones can be useful).

My sister loved one of those "how to do all the things" howto household tasks books I bought her out of "can't find a thing to buy bratchild for birthday" which made me boggle cos I'd just have googled it, but she liked the book format.  If daughter is the sort of person who likes that kind of thing, or will learn by browsing.

I actually liked the good "cheapass student cooking" books.  My college had one each of the tutors had contributed to for £1 to charity which I still have.  The sort of thing which really does start from basics and most of the food is cheap, cheerful, easy and nice.  That might be something you could compile over time sending her pages every week or something.  Or get different relatives to contribute to.  Sometimes it's not the "usefulness" so much as the kindness and family value.

A mini first aid kit might be useful, alka seltzer ;) but also paracetamol, ibuprofen, etc with simples instructions for the inevitable fresher's flu survival. 

Although to a large degree the most important thing at this point is learning to back off as a parent and give them space to enjoy uni and screw up on their own.  I work with students and the ones who seem happiest are those whose parents are calm and relaxed who they have agreed contact with rather than "argh not more phonecalls go away" sort of thing.  Text messages can be nicer for that and ensuring she knows she can call home whenever she wants - and then hope when you don't hear from her no news is good news cos she's so busy.   

I hope she has a fantastic time and finds good things and places for herself within the university community.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2012, 07:42:45 pm »
The only thing I'd add to those lists would be, for paranoid travellers like me, an emergency kit containing torch, get me home cash etc.

And a decent pillow or two. Unless halls have improved since my day.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #9 on: 31 August, 2012, 07:59:51 pm »
This is the Century Of The Fruitbat.  If you've got to university age without learning about the disk fairy, then you deserve what's coming, surely?

(Good advice, though)

You would boggle at the number of students who appear in the office in a state of *mild* panic on hand-in deadline day who cannot get their dissertation/essay/poster/plans for world domination printed because their computer has crashed/burned/been stolen/their mate thought it would be funny to delete the only copy.
When I was a penniless research pleb all my work was backed up on 5.25" floppies from a BBC Masterthingy and it took forever but losing one day's work was enough to teach me it was necessary. At the library a couple of years back we had a somewhat deranged looking student come to the counter asking very specifically for laptop number 12 because the day before she had saved her entire dissertation on it, not a copy and not on a disc/stick, actually on a shared laptop. Incredibly although seven other people had used the laptop after her, the work hadn't been wiped or played with.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 31 August, 2012, 08:03:49 pm »
You would boggle at the number of students who appear in the office in a state of *mild* panic on hand-in deadline day who cannot get their dissertation/essay/poster/plans for world domination printed because their computer has crashed/burned/been stolen/their mate thought it would be funny to delete the only copy.

I suspect that, sadly, I wouldn't.  :facepalm:

There's an old sysadmin saying: "You can lead a luser to clue, but you can't beat them to death with it".

« Reply #11 on: 31 August, 2012, 08:13:32 pm »
Students railcard, free membership of Scottish YHA, mini fridge (fridge not cooler) bike as above, decent lap top, small pressure cooker, small microwave and grill, mobile phone, dvt usb thingy (halls normally have tv license) Pots n pans,  Duvet covers etc  it goes on........
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #12 on: 31 August, 2012, 08:14:51 pm »

There's an old sysadmin saying: "You can lead a luser to clue, but you can't beat them to death with it".

You can if it's engraved on a big enough lump of tree.

:thumbsup:

Maybe Charlotte could expand her spoon-making exploits.

:D

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #13 on: 31 August, 2012, 08:17:44 pm »
Students railcard, free membership of Scottish YHA, mini fridge (fridge not cooler) bike as above, decent lap top, mobile phone, it goes on........

If she's in Halls check the regs, I know UoP ban any fridges in student rooms.

Regarding a laptop, if you are going down this route get in touch with the department to find out whether PC or Mac would be better and what software they recommend.

« Reply #14 on: 31 August, 2012, 08:20:27 pm »
Good advice ^^
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #15 on: 31 August, 2012, 08:22:15 pm »
The only things a parent need give a child when heading off:

A hug
A smile
A wave goodbye

:thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 31 August, 2012, 08:28:30 pm »
Knowledge of laundry processes and washing machine use is handy for both parent and progeny. I never took my dirties home at the end of term, unlike my cousins. It's useful not to tumble dry some things.

« Reply #17 on: 31 August, 2012, 08:33:55 pm »
My son is off in 2 weeks time. I have had a discussion with him about what he would like to take. He will basically be going with:
  • fixie
  • D lock
  • laptop
  • mobile
  • 10kg of pasta and 20 jars of Pesto sauce

He will be fine  ;D

« Reply #18 on: 31 August, 2012, 10:44:11 pm »
Good stuff!  Thanks.

Noodley - can't argue with that!

Computer-wise she's pretty savvy (regularly uses an external hard-drive for backing-up) and will probably need to buy a Mac for her course, but we'll wait to see what the course recommends.
A selection of basic tools (not quite the full Kim list, more the Barakta version!) is a good idea I'd not considered as is sewing and first aid kits.  The multiplug block is an excellent idea.
She has a shabby bike but probably won't take it straight away (she rarely cycles anyway).
2 weeks supply of Knickers is a good idea too!
I don't doubt she'll go without a veritable hamper of long-life comestibles either.

Keep 'em coming!

« Reply #19 on: 01 September, 2012, 12:52:06 pm »
If staying in halls, before you start buying white goods for the kitchen, and furniture for the room, please check what the university has already provided and what is specifically not allowed.  I've had many a conversation with an irate parent on freshers weekend about how they are going to have to take that full size fridge/freezer home with them.  We don't even allow students to bring their own kettles - if everyone did it there would be 8 in each kitchen, or people would use them in their rooms, which sets off the fire alarms.  Mini-fridges are usually only allowed if there is a medical need.

I would suggest:

Computer
Stationery
Bedding (check what the uni provides - we provide nothing so students have to bring their own pillows, duvet, as well as sheets.  I went to a uni which provided them, including the sheets and a laundry service once a week  :-[)
Phone
Food - staples that keep, treats
Cook books - your user name suggests you may have this covered
Plates, utensils, pans - stuff they will use though.  Students tend not to need a 145 piece dinner set and 12 different types of pan.
Fancy dress - if she is a going out type, there is ALWAYS a fancy dress night out in the first 2 weeks.
Biscuits to share with the new flatmates to get to know everyone
Then send them off knowing that you are always at the end of a phone line. 

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #20 on: 01 September, 2012, 01:23:32 pm »
I have a copy of More Grub on Less Grant she's welcome to. Pm me a name and address and I'll post it next week.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #21 on: 01 September, 2012, 01:29:10 pm »
When I went to uni my parents gave me a really useful box of kitchen stuff including salt, pepper, ketchup, an assortment of herbs and spices, OXO cubes, that sort of thing.  It was brilliant because everyone else had brought beans, pasta, etc but nobody else had any salt!

They also sent me off with a large box of beer.  :thumbsup:

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #22 on: 01 September, 2012, 02:02:45 pm »
Agreed re electrical items.  Julian's box of condiments sounds like win as does beer (or equivalent as I hate beer).  I did make myself popular one party inna house cos I gave away the stash of nasty beer my now ex had left in my room when we ran out of booze. ;)

If you did the sending a recipe a week/month thing one thing you could include is "how to make cheap punch" we did that a lot as students :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 01 September, 2012, 02:13:06 pm »
Assuming there's a supermarket within reach of your daughter's destination, I might suggest not packing her off with groceries for more than a couple of days. They're bulky, heavy and often don't travel well. Daughter will have to use local shops so she might as well acquaint herself with their staff and wares in Freshers' Week.

A few tea bags, biscuits and some hot chocolate sachets are welcome but kitchen arrangements and security vary. Theft from kitchens can be heartbreaking...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #24 on: 01 September, 2012, 02:15:14 pm »
Oh, and impress on her that she mustn't ever leave opened tins of tuna in a communal fridge because they make everything stink. Tupperware ftw!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.