Author Topic: Arrows rules  (Read 16135 times)

border-rider

Arrows rules
« on: 28 March, 2008, 09:23:24 pm »
These seem hard to track down.  So here they are:

EASTER & SUMMER ARROWS TO YORK
NB This ride the Easter Arrow may be substitituted for the FLECHE VELOCIO in FRANCE WHEN CLAIMING FROM A.C.P your FREE Brevet 5000 medal

1.   TEAMS of 3 to 5 riders [Tandems counting as one unit].

2.DISTANCES/ TIMES Minimum of 360 kms in 24 hours, though you are strongly advised to plan a higher mileage. At the finish, distances of 15% above or 20% below the one stated before you set off, cannot be validated .

3.ROUTES must be the shortest distance between control points, calculated in Kms, from OS AUTOROUTE or similar maps. The itinerary cannot use the same stretch or road twice. In the event of a diversion {roadworks or the like} , a stamp must be obtained at the furthest point. Routes can be circular and in any direction but eventually heading for YORK.

4. DISQUALIFICATION will result for the failure to have night time good lighting or the acceptance of help from anyone outside the team or from an undeclared support car. Teams who need this support must declare the number of the vehicle and the location(s) of contact.

5. PROCEDURE FOR ENTRY : forward to the organiser the proposed route. The captain will receive back a copy of the itinerary with possibly suggested modifications . Riders to complete the standard AUK entry forms.

6. DEPARTURE: each rider is to write on the card places and times agreed with the organiser. Team may leave any time between Thursday PM and Saturday noon.

7.CONTROLS : A stamp, receipt or ATM print-out with time of passage must be obtained and the start time and place adhered to.

8. ON THE ROAD: no deviation from the chosen route except in an emergency. Riders must carry their own card. Passing time at the controls must be written besides the stamps obtained .

9.   22ND HOUR: of the ride; the team must obtain  a stamp etc and write on the card the nearest point reached, wherever it may be.

10.   A MINIMUM DISTANCE :  of 25 kms MUST separate the place traversed between the hours of 22 & 24.

11.   ARRIVAL. A stamp is to be obtained at the nearest place reached at of after the 24th hour.     This does not have to be YORK. Add the place , time & distance covered.

12.   VALIDATION;  will be awarded to a team of 3 riders [minimum} who complete an identical distance. Lone riders who comply with the regs may claim AUK but not ACP validation

13.    ENTRY FEE  of £10 per team is to be sent to the organiser [cheques payable to him please.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Easter Arrows rules
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2008, 09:28:06 pm »

EASTER & SUMMER ARROWS TO YORK
Nb This ride may be substitituted for the FLECHE VELOCIO in FRANCE WHEN CLAIMING FROM A.C.P your FREE Brevet 5000 medal

Only the Easter Arrow can substitute for the Fleche Velocio.  The Summer Arrow to York is not recognised by the ACP.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2008, 09:41:36 pm »
Ta :)

Lonewolff

« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2008, 10:48:26 pm »
1.   TEAMS of 3 to 5 riders [Tandems counting as one unit].

This is normally written as teams of 3 to 5 machines which then covers any number of riders on those machines (for example you could have 15 people riding 5 triplets if you were that way inclined)

« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2008, 01:01:02 am »
They are the basic rules, but not the definitive ones.
Easter Arrows and Summer Arrows have some very slight differences.
I don't know all of the rules, I've never seen them.
One difference is that for the Easter Arrows, no teams may ride together.
But you can ride with other teams in the Summer Arrows.
Noel Simpson, who used to run them, once told me that you had to be a member of Mensa to understand all of the rules.
Good idea to post them here though.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: Arrows rules
« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2010, 01:15:13 pm »
AUK calendar says:

"Easter Flêches to York.   Easter Arrow 360k needed to claim your free ACP medal. Devise your own event and form a team. Entries on official forms ONLY. "

Where do I claim said medal?

Ta.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2010, 02:32:22 pm »
Arabella,
You get a free certificate for the Easter Arrow.

The only free medal I can think of is the ACP Brevet 5000 which must include
either the 'real' Fleche Velocio or the local equivalent.

I think you may also need to ride the PBP & a BRM 1000 + a few others to make up the 5000km.

You can't be far off the AUK Brevet 5000 which uses the LEL instad of the PBP

Best of luck with your Ladies Arrow venture.

« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2010, 03:00:32 pm »
Arabella,

I think you may also need to ride the PBP & a BRM 1000 + a few others to make up the 5000km.

Site officiel de l'Audax Club Parisien

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #8 on: 05 October, 2010, 01:24:50 pm »
Arabella,

Got the AUK Brevet 5000 twinkling on my wall already  :)

And thanks Ian.  Though I think I'll stick with the AUK version. 
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Bairn Again

« Reply #9 on: 05 October, 2010, 04:25:36 pm »
How does one go about claiming Brevet 5000?

Its not obvious to me from the AUK website. 

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #10 on: 05 October, 2010, 05:11:25 pm »

G,
ISTR I got in touch with Neville Holgate with a list of my greatest achievements qualifying rides.
Have you done an Easter Arrow?  :-X
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Bairn Again

« Reply #11 on: 05 October, 2010, 06:41:11 pm »

You know what?  I have.  Did it in 2008, the year when Easter was in mid February.  We got lots of snow.  But I dont like to talk about it.  ;) 

Bairn Again

« Reply #12 on: 05 October, 2010, 07:32:29 pm »

G,
ISTR I got in touch with Neville Holgate with a list of my greatest achievements qualifying rides.

sorry to be thick but which one of the contacts listed is Nevile Holgate - validation secretary? 

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #13 on: 05 October, 2010, 08:05:08 pm »
This is the chap:
RECORDER:
    Neville Holgate
    22 Cheltenham Way, Kew, Southport PR8 5NP

Very helpful, IIRC.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #14 on: 26 January, 2012, 01:42:44 pm »
7.CONTROLS : A stamp, receipt or ATM print-out with time of passage must be obtained and the start time and place adhered to.

I presume this means a stamp for each member of the team?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

border-rider

« Reply #15 on: 26 January, 2012, 01:47:10 pm »
Yes.  The mechanics are just like any DIY/Perm - each person has a card and each has to get proof of passage through each pre-declared control.

« Reply #16 on: 10 February, 2012, 01:29:38 pm »
If you cover 400k or more can that be used for an SR 400k

border-rider

« Reply #17 on: 10 February, 2012, 05:39:49 pm »
Yes. It comes into the points system as a 400 perm, so just like any perm of the appropriate distance it can count towards an SR

« Reply #18 on: 10 February, 2012, 05:43:18 pm »
Yes. It comes into the points system as a 400 perm, so just like any perm of the appropriate distance it can count towards an SR

many thanks for the info

rottenhat

• Audax Irlande
    • Audax Ireland
« Reply #19 on: 11 February, 2012, 04:15:19 pm »

Well, free apart from the 8 or 9 IRCs you have to supply with the application....

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #20 on: 12 February, 2012, 01:47:54 pm »
if a team rider is not registered with auk, does he need to prove he has adequate insurance? or is that included in £2 entry fee (assuming full team of five)?

« Reply #21 on: 31 July, 2019, 11:22:55 am »
https://www.audax.uk/about-audax/event-types/special-calendar-events/
https://www.audax.uk/about-audax/audax-uk-regulations/rules-arrows/
Latest 'Rulz' updated by Martin on 21 Jan 2019.
Easter and Summer Arrows to York

The Easter and Summer Arrows to York are team events, based on the format created by Audax Club Parisien for the Flèche Vélocio, in which teams head to the traditional Easter cycling rally in Provence (France).

The aim of these events is to ride as a team, with the goal to cover the longest distance possible during 24 hours, heading towards York from various starting points.

The Easter Arrow is validated by Audax Club Parisien as the UK’s equivalent to the Flèche Vélocio. It may be substituted for the Flèche Velocio when claiming your Randonneur 5000 and 10000 awards from ACP.

The Summer Arrow is run to the same rules but is only validated by Audax UK. Either event may be used towards the AUK Brevet 5000 and other AUK awards.

EASTER & SUMMER ARROWS RULES SUMMARY

1. TEAMS consist of between 3 to 5 members (tandems count as one member e.g. 5 tandems allows 10 riders). The team must ride together, and at least 3 team members must arrive at the finish for the ride to be validated. Only team members who ride the whole distance will be validated.

2. START TIMES. Teams may start from Friday 06:00 to Saturday 10:00hrs. The start time must be adhered to. Different teams may not ride together. If several teams use the same starting point and route the start times for the individual teams shall be spaced at least one hour apart.

3. DISTANCES. At least 360km must be covered during the 24 hours but you should plan more e.g. 400k or 500k as your target.
The team will be validated if the actual distance covered is within 20% above or below the one stated before the ride (with an absolute minimum of 360km) E.g. if you plan a 450km route the team must ride between 360 and 540km

4. ROUTES. Each team designs their own route. Distances will be credited from the shortest distance between control points. Routes can be circular and in any direction but must eventually head for York. Routes are not eligible for AAA points.

5. CONTROLS Each team member shall obtain proof of passage at the starting point and each designated control in the form of a stamp, ATM or till receipt. If proof of passage is not available a photo of the whole team clearly identifying the place (e.g. in front of a road sign) may be substituted.
During the 22nd hour and at the end of the 24th hour the exact time and location of the team must be noted in the brevet card and proof of passage obtained.
The team must ride until the end of the 24th hour. If proof of passage is not available at that point they must continue riding to the next available place where it may be obtained. This does not have to be York, it can be on the way to York.
A minimum of 25km must be ridden between the 22nd hour control point and the finish.
e.g. You start Saturday at 09:00hrs. You must obtain proof of passage between Sunday 06:00 and 07:00hrs (22nd hour), and at 09:00hrs (24th hour).  It is 09:00hrs, you have ridden 420km but are in the countryside 10km from the next town. You must ride to this town, obtain proof of passage and note ‘420km’ in your brevet card.

6. SUPPORT No following cars are allowed. Teams may only meet a support car at the designated controls. No rest stop may exceed two hours.

VALIDATION

Brevet Cards must be returned to the organiser within 14 days of the ride [with numbered PoPs to support each brevet]. The Arrow will be validated provided that:
At least 3 team members have ridden the same distance and arrived at the finish together
At least 25km has been ridden between the 22nd hour control and the end of the 24th hour of the ride
The mileage covered within 24 hours is within 20% above or below the one stated before the ride.

ENTRY PROCEDURE

One team member will be designated as the team captain and will be the sole contact with the organiser.

When a team has been formed the captain must send the completed AUK entry forms for each individual team member, together with the entry fee and stamped addressed envelopes for the return of the brevet cards and medals (either to the captain or to the individual team members) [Note: the entry fee can be paid 'online' but the rest must be sent in the post.]

At least two weeks before the event the captain must also send a completed registration form (available from the organiser) detailing the route controls, distances and estimated passing times.

Added ref 'extra distance' ie if a team gets to its final control ('the finish') and there's time (and the inclination) to ride further (verbatim from the 2019 organiser):

"As regards claiming the extra distance:

"1. You must visit any controls you have listed on the entry form in the order you’ve listed them so don’t include any dummy controls.
    "2. If having visited all your nominated controls and arrived at the finish you find yourself with lots of time in hand, you can then add some extra distance. You do this by deciding on one or more places as the extra controls and then riding to them and collecting PoP as normal. You DO NOT include these extra controls on the entry form but rather make them up on the hoof when you find yourself at the finish with lots of extra time. Note that you’re still required to ride at least 25km in the final 2 hours so you’ll need to factor this in when deciding on your extra controls. I’ll then calculate the extra distance covered and add it onto your original entry total."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22 on: 31 July, 2019, 02:26:27 pm »
Of course it is bullshit that "The team must ride until the end of the 24th hour." Virtually no team actually does that, unless they are finishing short of their target.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #23 on: 31 July, 2019, 02:31:43 pm »
Of course it is bullshit that "The team must ride until the end of the 24th hour." Virtually no team actually does that, unless they are finishing short of their target.

Yes, we made that mistake of following it to the letter the first time I did it as captain - cycling slowly to York from Howdenand then having a panic on at the end to get there in time :facepalm:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #24 on: 31 July, 2019, 03:45:34 pm »
Doesn't "ride until x" in Audax sense mean not get a "receipt until x"?
And even then...