Author Topic: Armstrong's current physique  (Read 8508 times)

Armstrong's current physique
« on: 24 January, 2009, 09:15:29 pm »
Cycle Sport has just dropped onto the doormat ( not literally - last week ).  It has Lance and Alberto and Astana on the cover and inside there is a large photo shoot of the team together recently.  I am not surprised with his current physique, but I am impressed.  He has not lost any shape it would appear, at all. 

I've read he does the mind game thing constantly, and the wearing of the black body suit may have been an advertising ploy for Nike and Livestrong, but it also diminished his size ( black is the best slimmer ).  In his case he may not have been hiding fat, but form.  On the out of the saddle shots, he has amazing definition in his arms too. 

Envious of Wiltshire here.  ;D

Here is a pic from Cycling Weekly's photographer - Andy Jones
Attacking on the Tour Down Under - Stage 5 - CALF MUSCLES OR WHAT !!!

Re: Armstrong's current physique
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2009, 10:12:47 pm »
HAve a look through the Lances comeback photos, you'll see what hes hiding!

Particularly preseason pics 21 to 27

Elizabeth Kreutz

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2009, 10:16:49 pm »
Not exactly carting around a load of flab, is he?

*sucks in gut, shuffles out of shot*
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #3 on: 24 January, 2009, 11:12:30 pm »
On the out of the saddle shots, he has amazing definition in his arms too.

He's not called Armstrong for nothing, y'know!  ;D

« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2009, 12:27:48 am »
HAve a look through the Lances comeback photos, you'll see what hes hiding!

Particularly preseason pics 21 to 27

Elizabeth Kreutz

Okay, wow, amazing.  I don't think I can remember another cyclist as ripped as that.  To build that he is either a very naturally gifted person ( as my wife is and could look like if we had the time / money ) or he is taking some special product ( like the American sprinters do to get like that ).  I hope it is the first option and I honestly believe it must be.

Amazing physique.  Inspirational pics from Kreutz.

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2009, 12:48:37 am »
STUNNING photos

I think I'll put the link into Gallery section.

Zoidburg

« Reply #6 on: 25 January, 2009, 03:33:23 pm »
Lance is 5'10" and the same build as me

I wouldnt say there as that much of a "wow" factor about him to be honest compared to say - the GB track team

inc

« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2009, 03:34:31 pm »
He looks good but I think he has overdeveloped arms for a stage racer. The cut look is just that, low body fat. Any extra muscle he has needs fueling and carrying around  and I suspect he won't want to be carrying any extra weight up the mountains and so not look quite like that come tour time.

« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2009, 05:58:05 pm »
I have been thinking about just that.  His upper body strength may aid him more than we think.  Armstrong challenges the old ways of no upper body mass - put it all in the legs.  His core strength must be huge I reckon.

inc

« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2009, 07:16:22 pm »
He  needs just  the right amount of muscle, he won six tours with  less muscled arms, why change a winning formula. If this the new look there will be a reason for it, he is obsessional  about detail. I am reading Johan Bruyneel's book "We might as well win" at the moment , it has some interesting insights into their winning partnership.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 25 January, 2009, 07:24:04 pm »
Jeez that's scary.

In 38, he's got hairy legs!

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #11 on: 25 January, 2009, 07:32:17 pm »
He  needs just  the right amount of muscle, he won six tours with  less muscled arms, why change a winning formula. If this the new look there will be a reason for it, he is obsessional  about detail. I am reading Johan Bruyneel's book "We might as well win" at the moment , it has some interesting insights into their winning partnership.

The hour record? More upper body strength to hold a position on 'old fashioned' drop bars for an hour?

inc

« Reply #12 on: 25 January, 2009, 07:38:28 pm »
Yes I see Moser is suggesting that Armstrong may go for that, in Italy I think, not sure where but it is a new track. Milan I think. Are big arms needed for what is an extended pursuit, I don't recall any pursuiters or hour record holders with large arms.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #13 on: 25 January, 2009, 07:55:06 pm »
Upper body strength is important, I used to do weights concentrating on upper arms, shoulders and chest when I was riding pursuit. Some of the Armstrong pics look a bit OTT though.

« Reply #14 on: 25 January, 2009, 08:01:27 pm »
Wasn't there talk of an hour attempt a few years ago? He'd have to be pretty confident he could break it.

I wonder if Wiggins will have a crack at it one day? I'd fancy his chances over Armstrong's I think...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #15 on: 25 January, 2009, 08:36:43 pm »
There have been a lot of good pursuiters since Merckx set the 1972 figure but only 2 riders have gone faster in the 'conventional' position. Insufficient upper body strength has been cited as a reason for failure.

Armstrong can ride a good long time trial and now appears to have developed lots of strength in the upper body. Wiggins is fast over the pursuit and 10 mile but what has his performance been like over longer distances such as in the world TT (1-30 behind Rogers in 2005)? Do you think he could hold the required position for 60 mins?

« Reply #16 on: 25 January, 2009, 08:51:10 pm »
Do you think he could hold the required position for 60 mins?

I have no idea to be honest! His 190 odd km solo break in the tour the other year was quite something though!

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #17 on: 25 January, 2009, 09:04:20 pm »
Do you think he could hold the required position for 60 mins?

I have no idea to be honest! His 190 odd km solo break in the tour the other year was quite something though!

I suppose he's still relatively young aswell and has concentrated on shorter events - such as pursuit and prologue TTs. Perhaps, if he changed his focus? It would be good to see another Brit hold the record  (and preferable to Armstrong) :)

« Reply #18 on: 25 January, 2009, 10:33:59 pm »
Just a thought...

If Armstrong's now looking more like a sprinter or a rouler than a climber, perhaps he's thinking about the Classics, rather than the Grand Tours?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 25 January, 2009, 10:37:27 pm »
Don't think he's ever heard of the Classics ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #20 on: 25 January, 2009, 10:43:31 pm »
I don't much like the guy, but it will be interesting to see how he gets on this season.

He keeps his cards so close to his chest that it's impossible to work out if he knows he's in good shape and is confident he can win stuff. But seeing as he keeps saying he's doing it for cancer awareness looks to me like he's got his excuse lined up already if he doesn't do well.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 26 January, 2009, 12:53:14 pm »
Le Tour is 6 months off still. If he just rides his bike, sleeps and eats, he could lose a lot of muscle mass in the less used areas. So he may well look just like the old days in July.

(Oh, and I don't believe you need muscle bulk to hold 1 position for an hour. You need muscles trained to hold you for an hour.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #22 on: 26 January, 2009, 02:57:41 pm »
Don't think he's ever heard of the Classics ;)

He got second placings in the Clásica San Sebastián and Liège-Bastogne-Liège, and then  won the Clásica San Sebastián in 1995,

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #23 on: 26 January, 2009, 03:00:04 pm »
*cough* not a patch on Merckx *cough* ;)
Getting there...

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #24 on: 26 January, 2009, 03:02:21 pm »
Le Tour is 6 months off still. If he just rides his bike, sleeps and eats, he could lose a lot of muscle mass in the less used areas. So he may well look just like the old days in July.

(Oh, and I don't believe you need muscle bulk to hold 1 position for an hour. You need muscles trained to hold you for an hour.)

I agree, as mentioned in my posts, I have suggested that you need upper body strength, but I haven't mentioned bulk and have commented that I think Armstrong's bulk looks OTT.