Author Topic: OS map PC software  (Read 3683 times)

321up

• 59° N
OS map PC software
« on: 26 August, 2013, 10:56:05 am »
I've just started looking for PC software (offline) to view GPS tracks and routes on OS 1:50000 maps.  Options I've found include:  MemoryMap,  Tracklogs,  Anquet

My feature wish list includes...
Import and view multiple gpx files (tracks and routes)
Create and edit routes
Split / join tracks
View GPS track stats
View elevation profiles & stats
Compare recorded track elevation data to map height data

If there is also a compatible Android App then that would be a plus.

Please can anyone offer advice based on recent versions of any software that might meet my needs.

Re: OS map PC software
« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2013, 12:26:34 pm »
Viewranger is PC & Android, maps are free at big scales, ££ at small scales (or do I mean the other way round?).
Not sure about manipulating tracks, though.
When you don't have your significant other on the same bike you can use its 'buddy beacon' for real time tracking.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2013, 12:49:47 pm »
Personally I use an old version of Memory Map (with a variety of maps I have 'acquired').
It has all those features. Though it is a rather weird interface, and can be a bit fiddly for manipulating tracks. I prefer Garmin BaseCamp for that.

For Android, there are a couple of unofficial apps (MM-Tracker and AlpineQuest) which can use maps from Memory Map. Though I think the newer versions of the maps are a different format, with copy protection etc, so won't work in these apps.
There is also an official Memory Map app, though I don't know if its any good.

You could also look at Mapyx Quo. I think its a bit cheaper than Memory Map / Anquet etc for 1:50K maps. Plus it has some of the OS OpenData and OpenStreetMap maps available for free. Though I don't think there's any Android app.

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2013, 02:00:36 pm »
I've taken to using QLandkarte which does pretty much everything on your feature list, and it's free.

I don't use it with a smart phone because phones are generally too battery-challenged for randonnees, although recent developments with dyno-charging and cache batteries are making this less and less of a problem.

I use QLandkarte with a Garmin Etrex Vista Cx. Both have OSM maps with contours - together these give the best £0 "integrated" option I've found anywhere. The fact that QLandkarte runs on Linux (more £0 fun) is just a bonus.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 26 August, 2013, 03:42:24 pm »
I've taken to using QLandkarte which does pretty much everything on your feature list, and it's free.
Except for the OS 1:50K maps. There's not really any way of getting these for free (legally).
You can get various OS OpenData maps for free, but they are generally not as useful or nice looking as the Landranger or Explorer.

Though I agree, QLandkarte or Basecamp with OSM maps can be very useful. Often more useful than OS maps, for on-road cycling anyway.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 26 August, 2013, 05:57:32 pm »
I've tried all three that you mention - Memory Map is in my view head and shoulders above the others (there's also Quo)

... and at the moment there's a stonking deal on for the whole of the UK at 1-50000 OS for half the usual price (they e-mailed me, I have no connection)

The one downside is that they "manipulate" the support forum to remove any hint of criticism of the product ... and the online help stuff is not helpful ... but if you phone them they're usually helpful

Rob

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #6 on: 27 August, 2013, 01:48:23 pm »
Thanks for the reply's.

Having briefly tired Memory Map and Anquet as demos it seemed that Memory Map handles multiple GPX files better.  TrackLogs map price is a lot more expensive so I did not bother trying it.

The Memory Map £50 half price offer for the whole of GB at 1:50000 seemed too good to miss so I went with Memory Map.

I already have Viewranger with OS GB maps at 1:50000 on Android which I use for navigation, following routes & recording tracks, but I don't like the Viewranger cloud based PC app.  I stopped the Android Viewranger app syncing to their cloud service a couple of years ago when it started duplicating tracks and I just export them to GPX files instead now.

« Reply #7 on: 27 August, 2013, 02:33:00 pm »
If you're going to be spending £50 I'd save it on software and spend it on a retro Garmin etrex .
Phones have so many issues for navigation over long distance I just wouldn't bother- or rather, having left it behind, it's with shudders that I look back. They're fragile, power hungry, hard to mount, not waterproof, prone to crashing (maybe that's just mine)...

For walking, OS maps can't be beaten but I'm really not sure that's true for cycling.

« Reply #8 on: 27 August, 2013, 05:48:55 pm »
For off-road cycling I much prefer OS maps to the alternatives I've seen, but I'm happy with OpenCycleMap for road cycling, especially in towns, where I think it's better than OS.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #9 on: 27 August, 2013, 09:12:03 pm »
I think I'd agree.
I rather assumed 321up was talking road cycling- 1:50,000 being no good for off road.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: 27 August, 2013, 10:37:58 pm »
I rather assumed 321up was talking road cycling- 1:50,000 being no good for off road.
Depends on what sort of off road cycling, and where.
For things like forest tracks, I find the 1:50K maps are fine, much clearer than the 1:25K. Plus more practical for longer distances.

« Reply #11 on: 28 August, 2013, 07:54:45 am »
I use an acquired old version of Memory Maps on the PC and an old version of MMTracker on the android phone.  Annoyingly it doesn't seem able to load gpx routes so day to day I use MyTrails with Open Street Map maps, of which I create offline versions using MOBAC and transfer over to my phone, an easy process.

I really like Open Street Map and rarely find that I have the need to consult an OS map in MMTracker, but nice to know it's there for when I do.
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #12 on: 28 August, 2013, 07:56:42 am »
I should add that you can licence OS maps in MyTrails for a (surprisingly reasonable) annual subscription. 
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #13 on: 28 August, 2013, 09:32:16 am »
Depends on what sort of off road cycling, and where.
For things like forest tracks, I find the 1:50K maps are fine, much clearer than the 1:25K. Plus more practical for longer distances.
Agree. There are places where 1:25K is greatly preferable because the extra detail is helpful, but 1:50K is often perfectly adequate, & I find them easier to read.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897