Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2162587 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #18900 on: 13 April, 2024, 01:58:51 pm »
When we get to the settled weather of late summer

Ah, an optimist...

« Reply #18901 on: 13 April, 2024, 02:05:06 pm »
When we get to the settled weather of late summer

Ah, an optimist...

Let me put that another way... When we get past the rides that I am determined to do in spring and early summer, I will only be riding this bike when there is ZERO chance of rain all day!
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18902 on: 13 April, 2024, 02:56:39 pm »
Opened 2 bank accounts to stick Pingu's ill gotten gains in.
Unpacked and assembled the new pressure washer. Swept the patio and then pressure washed it

Found enough energy within to pressure wash the patio. Didn't get a round tuit last year.

Jeez that is a thankless task.

Then I unpacked the new appliance skis, used them to extricate the washer from under the counter. Then contorted myself in though the small gap between the back of the washer and the counter end support, hoovering while I was in there. Then a bit more contorting myself to get the ring spanner in the right place to tighten up the flappy monobloc tap.
Put it all back in the right place.

That's enough adulting for one day, I'm knackered.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18903 on: 14 April, 2024, 10:01:20 am »
Fitted a new UN55 to the Omega and refitted the TA cranks. Replaced the damaged down tube cable stop from garage stock.

Fitted a pocket to the other Ortlieb panner.

Need to balance the brakes on HK’s Greenspeed and to replace the chain and cassette on HK’s orange Trykit.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #18904 on: 15 April, 2024, 07:14:58 pm »

I turned on my Audiolab 8000T tuner and nothing happened, no sound, no display.  :jurek: [size=78%] It was working perfectly earlier today. Took it out of the rack & noticed the little pull out fuse carrier above the IEC power socket. This holds 2 fuses, the "live" & a spare. The "live" was black, I put the spare in it's place, plugged everything back up and all is now OK again. The first fright it's given me in over 15 years......[/size]

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #18905 on: Yesterday at 09:09:08 am »
Setup my first pair of tubeless tyres yesterday. This morning they are still inflated :-)

Did the first one using the "pour into the open tyre" technique. Managed to make quite a bit of mess as the tyre was so tight. Did the second one using the "through the valve" technique. Much, much, cleaner.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #18906 on: Yesterday at 02:56:02 pm »
Reassembled the MTB.  The cam on the rear skewer broke, so I had to replace it with a Pitlok one, from the spares box.  I must replace that asap as I'm bound to forget the key thing.   One of the tyres looks a bit dodgy as well, so that will have to be swapped as well.

New skewer & Schwalbe Land Cruise Plus's arrived, so I obviously found a spare skewer I'd overlooked in the box.  A new rear light was fitted as well.  The Brooks Conquest was looking a bit dry, so gunge was applied.   A very short test drive proved that everything was working properly and that it was still a bit too cool for the new 3/4's that were delivered the other week.

https://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/mens-extra-padded-3-4
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18907 on: Yesterday at 06:17:27 pm »
Because touring bike, I finally got round to loosening off and measuring a spoke on the rear wheel of the SMGTe, so that I could obtain a couple of spares to cable-tie to the luggage rack strut for times of need[1].  237mm both sides for those playing along at home, which is nowhere near any of the spare spokes in my collection.

While doing this I discovered the wheel was laced on a Friday afternoon:

Hard to see from the photo, but those spokes aren't touching at the crossing, because they're crossing on the wrong side.  Two crossings were like that (though the spoke tension wasn't significantly affected).  Now sorted, wheel trued and stress-relieved.  Just need to wait for the rim to fail where the eyelets aren't.

I know HPVelotechnik have form for economising in the wheel department, but you'd think once a Roholoff hub was involved they'd make a decent effort with quality control, if not the choice of components[2].   >:(

[1] This strategy successfully prevented spoke breakages on the previous incarnation, but they did come in handy on a couple of occasions when I found myself in need of a pokey-thing.
[2] 2.0mm plain gauge spokes, no-name single wall disc brake rim, nasty plastic rim tape[3].  I think the hub on the front wheel that I'm not using was underwhelming, too.
[3] Immediately replaced with Velox, because touring bike.

« Reply #18908 on: Yesterday at 06:31:10 pm »
Fitted 3 new tubes to the azub tricon gr recumbent as the old tubes have failed due to stupid pre glued patches  :(
the slower you go the more you see